What is your favorite generation prior to 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite generation prior to 2002

Take the survey and then tell why that generation is your favorite.
    55-57
    58.95%
    58-60
    6.61%
    61-63
    13.50%
    64-66
    13.22%
    67-71
    2.20%
    72-76
    1.65%
    77-79
    1.10%
    81-82
    0.55%
    83-88
    1.93%
    89-97
    1.65%

Re: What is your favorite generation prior to 2002

My favorite generation is 64-66. It was the last generation of the convertible and had the most innovations of any set of generations up to that time.

Comment

Have alway liked little birds more than big birds.
      http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...00&ppuser=1190
      '03 T-Bird -Torch Red
      '05 T-Bird - Inca Gold
      '13 Mustang BOSS 302
      '

Comment

Aside from our "retro birds", I've always liked the "square birds" from 1958-1960. Back when they were new ( I was 6-9 years old), I wanted so much my father to buy one...but instead, he bought a 1959 Cadillac §edan De ville......I was soooooo dissappointed!
        I've always liked the big bold twin taillights of the '58-'59's (three on '60's), the (then new) wide roof pillars, the console with lots of chrome, etc...
        Well, that's it!
        Claude
        1971 Chevelle SS 454
        1987 Buick Grand National
        2008 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually Pickup
        2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL

Comment

55-57 still is. Besides the tbird, we own a 57 wagon and a 56 Mark II and I'd love to have the 57 Ranchero(only not with all the rust!) or the 57 Sedan we used to have.
          Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

I love the looks of the 55-57 Thunderbird. No question it's a classic, but I want to be able to drive my car every day the weather is nice and not worry about a breakdown far from home, so I have an '05. If I were to buy a second Thunderbird, it would be a 4 passenger and I saw a beauty at North Myrtle Beach last weekend. It was a 1962 Thunderbird Roadster which won a prize. It was white with a red interior and had a recent restoration. The 61-63 Birds were like the Lincoln Continentals of the same era, just as our 2002-2005 Tbirds are like little Lincoln LS V8s.
            Cal
            sigpic

Comment

I also am very fond of the bullet birds and glamour birds but the first are still the top of the list.
              2005 Inca Gold 1 of 82
              1957 in Resale Red originally Willow Green porthole deleat.

Comment

61-63 Rocket Birds. I love the space-age look of the car, the round tail lights, the subtle tail fins, the sleek jet-like appearance. If I had a second Bird, it would be a 62-63 red roadster convertible with white interior and white soft top, and Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels and whitewall tires.
                PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                Built April 22, 2002
                Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

The first generation will always be the best in my book. That's when I fell in love with T-Birds. It was some time in late '54 or early '55 when I saw a beautiful new Bird, and told my dad "That's what we should get" - and he told me we couldn't because it only seats 2, and we were a family of 4. I told him, "But Momma and Pam (my sister) don't like cars like you & I do, so they can stay home"!
                  Out of the mouths of babes!
                  sigpic
                  Goldilocks~Venomous~Moondoggie
                  Drive like you mean it!!
                  ~Elle~

Comment

I'm with Phil. The 61-63's will always be a favorite. I love the styling, the rag top, the taillights, waterfall dash and the list goes on. The fact that I could cruise with the whole family is a big bonus too. That said, after a rocket would be a baby bird - just a classic car.
                    Mike & Kim Sturgill
                    2003 Torch Red

Comment

My favorite's are the original roadsters of the 50's. To me, these are true Thunderbirds. Nothing against owners of later models, however, I think Ford made a mistake by using the Thunderbird name on these later models which were just basically coupes with a little fancier interiors or hotter motors. GM kept the Corvette, more or less, in it's original class and it remained a "Corvette". Ford should have done the same or just discontinued the Bird altogether.

Comment

I agree with Monty. The original Birds are the only ones that count in my book. Where GM stayed the course with maintaining the Corvette's market nitch, Ford opted for higher unit sales resulting a subsequent Bird designs tailored to the masses instead of maintaining its "personal luxury" nitch.

Its no suprise that you rarely see Birds other than the '55-57 at high-end auctions since they are not a 'special" as the original design. Its part of the reason I see our retro-birds as popular collectables in the future. The style is classic and beautiful in any era.
                        Kensbird.....2004 Black/Sand

sigpic

Comment

Although '57 bird is one of my favorites, I have to put my vote in for the 61-63 models, most notably the Sport Roadster model. I love the bullet-shaped nose and those big taillights.
                          Balz
                          2003 Thunderbird - Triple Black - Borlas - K&N CAI
                          1964 Ford F-100 V8 4spd

Comment

Ditto here Ryan. Like the '57 most of all, but also love the '58-'60 and the '61-'63 models and the '64-'66 models and...ahh ....never mind. Just car crazy I guess
                            Sometimes Birds travel far...
                            Dutch T-Bird
                            tbirdregistry.com No. 27947

Comment

I really love the baby birds '55 - '57, but also have a special favoring for the '89 - '97. I had a '90 Charcoal tbird and at the time, there really wasn't anything else that both the size and sportiness going for it. It was a sharp looking car and one that I still like when I see them on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X