Grits poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grits poll

Thats It! ....another "gypsy Member" Into Drugs....rico Investigation On All Of Us....i Can Smell It!!

Comment

Originally posted by FEsTbird

Strictly speaking, I think grits are made from hominy not corn. Hominy kernals are shaped like corn kernals, but are white and bigger. I am not sure if they come on a cob like corn since I have never seen how they grow.
      <TABLE cellSpacing=5 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=right>Hominy was made by soaking corn kernels in water in which wood ashes had been steeped. The steepimg process produced lye which softened the corn and loosened the hard seed coat which could then be washed away (along with the lye!).

Hominy was added to soups and stews along with dried meat, prairie turnips and other garden produce.</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally posted by Spence
      Drink lots and lots of . Keeps the blood thin and flushes out the whole system.
      Must be all the fiber in the hops and barley
      sigpic

“THE EDGE,
      there is no honest way to explain it
      because the only people who really know where it is
      are the ones who have gone over.”

Comment

Hominy - Yuch!! Never aquired that taste! I guess for an Ohio native with family in KY, I am only so southern! I also don't eat chitlins, calve's brains or pickled pig's feet, but I think that's a good thing!
        Vin 2462 / Seq 2296
        Build 9/10/2002

Comment

Originally posted by TBird02
          or pickled pig's feet, but I think that's a good thing!
          <!--StartFragment --> Yep, they are a good thing. Even spring I buy a whole hog for my freezer,
          [my heart surgeon is not to happy, but I told him I'm like money in the bank for him] and I make my own using feet and hocks for more meat and bone it after cooking for easy eating. Great with crusty seeded rye bread rubbed with fresh garlic, spread with butter, and salted. Damn I making myself hungry
          sigpic

“THE EDGE,

Comment

This grits thing is getting old. Dump it in the where it belongs. Lets talk about pork and sauerkraut and mash potatoes. Now there's something that is really good. I could eat it at least once a week but the Judge only makes it a few times a year. Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, can you spell yankee, this is one of the best dishes that can be put on any table. ,
            They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
            IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
            Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Hey Spence, My family is all around you. My sister is in Harrisburg, Aunts & Uncles in Allentown & Palmyra, cousins all around your area. I LOVE Penna. Dutch Cooking. We can talk about Philly Cheesesteaks too. Genos & Pats are the BEST! Have you ever been to the Shartlesville Hotel? I don't know if it's still going, but it had incredible food. Dumplings, chicken corn soup, sauerbraten.......oh yeah!
              Lake Tahoe Cruiser

Comment

Sounds to me Don and Spence you have to come for dinner some time. I can make you some real Dutch winter food. I just made a huge pan of 'erwtensoep met rookworst'. Now that is something you guys should taste.

And talking about Zuurkool (Sauerkraut is German... Spence ) with mashed potatoes, mustard and speck..jummie
                Sometimes Birds travel far...
                Dutch T-Bird
                tbirdregistry.com No. 27947

Comment

Frits, when does the next plain leave for your part of the country. Sounds gooood!!!!!!!!!
                  IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                  Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Didn't I read somewhere earlyer you didn't want to fly?
                    Hunger makes us forget about fear
                    Dutch T-Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird
                      This grits thing is getting old. Dump it in the where it belongs. Lets talk about pork and sauerkraut and mash potatoes. Now there's something that is really good. I could eat it at least once a week but the Judge only makes it a few times a year. Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, can you spell yankee, this is one of the best dishes that can be put on any table. ,

You got that right! My birthday dinner every year is roast pork with a caraway seed crust, potato dumplings rolled in the pork fat and caraway seeds from the roast, scalloped apples and a home made chocolate pie. I get it every year because I'm the one doing the cooking

Last edited by JAB02LHS; Oct 4, 2005, 05:23 PM.
                      sigpic

“THE EDGE,

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird
                        [b]...Lets talk about pork and sauerkraut ...
                        Oh... ick! Sauerkraut! Nasty stuff! The fumes alone could be considered chemical warfare.

The rest sounds great though.

Cheers,

Kevin
                        Kevin - Lincoln, NE
                        2005 Evening Black Premium, Black Hardtop, Black Accent.
                        Plus: White Hardtop, Chrome Hood Scoop Bezel, Borlas, and more.

Also posts as BirdWingsToo (admin account) and atest (test account)

Comment

Originally posted by SR-71
                          Oh... ick! Sauerkraut! Nasty stuff! The fumes alone could be considered chemical warfare.

The rest sounds great though.

Cheers,

Kevin

Amen, to that, Kevin!
                          sigpicSoaring with My Raven Under Carolina Blue Skies ...

Comment

Sauerkraut, brats and beer. Sure not southern, but it's a winning combination! Yum!!

It holds me over until St. Patty's day with corned beef and cabbage, irish potatoes and dark beer.

Still lovin' those grits, but only as a side dish. The main meal still has to be cooked separately.
                            Vin 2462 / Seq 2296
                            Build 9/10/2002

Comment

FritsB, On the flying thing. That's Judgy Judy that won't fly. I love it.
                              IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                              Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Oke, in that case...tomorrow at seven?... Soup in Holland
                                Dutch T-Bird

Comment

Working...
                                X