Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has your fuel pump failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Has your fuel pump failed

    Mine went out in my 2002 at about 48,000 miles. The car had sat in the garage thru my 8 month deployment and died while cruising at 60 mph shortly after I got home. Seems to be a pattern. I never had the fuel below 1/4 tank.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Has your fuel pump failed

      Originally posted by Greg S View Post
      Mine went out in my 2002 at about 48,000 miles. The car had sat in the garage thru my 8 month deployment and died while cruising at 60 mph shortly after I got home. Seems to be a pattern. I never had the fuel below 1/4 tank.
      Same here the fuel has never been below 1/4 tank. I'm having trouble getting the kick plate off the drivers side to check the switch, does anybody know how to get this kick plate off ? I know its a long shot but I would like to check the switch before I call for the flat bed next weekend.
      Be good and if you can't be good be careful.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Has your fuel pump failed

        Gonna have to add my 2003 to the pile of dead fuel pumps - yesterday, took the left front tire off, ripped the wheel well liner out, the fuel filter - cranked it, nothing - time to rip the interior apart. I can't believe these things went this far up in price. When I bought one for the NM in 2012 it was $290. Just checked for the DSB - $803 - wonderful. So just for kicks I checked the 2002 - $316 - huh? Different part numbers:

        2003:
        Right - 4W4Z-9H307-AA - $803.66
        Left - YW4Z-9275-BC - $316.91

        2002:
        Right - YW4Z-9H307-BB - $354.34
        Left - YW4Z-9275-BC - $316.91

        The slaves are the same - odd that they would make a different main pump. Wonderful - $1,120.57 on fuel pumps - ugg.
        Last edited by Chuck; May 9, 2016, 04:42 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Has your fuel pump failed

          Mine went out at 48,000 miles on the 02.
          Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even. Will Rogers

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Has your fuel pump failed

            My fuel pump did not go out but I replaced it at about 100,000 miles. I travel from coast to coast and did not want it to go out in the middle of no where. So I did a preventative action and replaced it in Little Rock, AR $595 Thanks to Gary H. for guiding me to his shop.
            Ed & Diana
            Branson, MO
            Black 02

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Has your fuel pump failed

              Had a bad inertia switch about 95,000 mi.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                See the link below for some Rock Auto Fuel Pump Prices.
                Any think I've ordered from Rock auto has arrived in a couple day.

                http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...le.com+URL+%2F
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                  Mine went bad at about 50,000 on my 2002.
                  2002 Thunderbird Blue.
                  19" TSW Snetterton Wheels, Continental eXtremeContact tires.
                  Eibach lowering kit, Borla Catback Exhaust system and CAI,
                  Powersports California Custom aluminum grille.
                  Every day is a good day.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                    Originally posted by ajl03 View Post
                    There seems to be a good many reports of fuel pump failure on retro birds.
                    I thought it would be helpful to know how many owners have had to replace their pump and at what mileage. Also if you have had no fuel pump issues and your mileage.. Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                      At 27k miles. $1100. Car now has 29,700. Have had to replace leaking valve cover gaskets, and replaced 2 coil on plugs. Bought the car with 26k miles on it.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                        My wife's '02. We have had the car 4 years and put 3k miles on it and have spent $2400 in repairs for fuel pump, 2 coil on plugs, replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, and leaking power steering pump. Gonna sell it. Very disappointed with all the problems. The Ford house loves me.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                          Originally posted by Jooniemoonie View Post
                          My wife's '02. We have had the car 4 years and put 3k miles on it and have spent $2400 in repairs for fuel pump, 2 coil on plugs, replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, and leaking power steering pump. Gonna sell it. Very disappointed with all the problems. The Ford house loves me.
                          If you sell now someone is going to get a great deal and you won't have gotten your money's worth out of the repair costs. You should enjoy it. The money is already spent and can't be recouped when you sell it.
                          15 years, 137K miles, 48 States & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 100+ T-bird events, 160+ retrobird diecasts/models, 8 TOTM photos, a Garden of the Gods Beauty and some very special friends...THANKS to TBN !

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                            You are correct Paul!!! He should drive and enjoy the miles!!!
                            Gary Dawson
                            Hamilton, GA
                            Merlot Thunderbird

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                              Originally posted by ajl03 View Post
                              There seems to be a good many reports of fuel pump failure on retro birds.
                              I thought it would be helpful to know how many owners have had to replace their pump and at what mileage. Also if you have had no fuel pump issues and your mileage.. Thanks
                              failed at 30000 miles...replaced both went over speed bump to fast and thud.....fuel shutdown valve activated...reset and still nothing...still not sure its was the fuel pump or the valve

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Has your fuel pump failed

                                Originally posted by Jimr View Post
                                See the link below for some Rock Auto Fuel Pump Prices.
                                Any think I've ordered from Rock auto has arrived in a couple day.

                                http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...le.com+URL+%2F
                                Has anyone just replaced the 2002 fuel pump for $29.00?
                                The high prices talked about on this thread must be for the entire assembly and labor.

                                HKS
                                2002 Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                                2015 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0T 240HP, 270FB Torque
                                http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...8&username=hks

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X