No announcement yet.

Has your fuel pump failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, my fuel pump has failed on my 02 bird at 5,000 miles. Have always used the high octane fuel and because of not frequently driving, have always added fuel stabilizers Sta-Bil or Sea Foam. I am researching now on having the fuel pump replaced along with the transfer pump. Car will not start and fuel pressure at "0". Prices range anywhere from $800.00 to $1400.00 which includes the labor, and none of the estimates are from Ford or they would be a lot higher. Have also replaced all 8 COPs, much to my dissatisfaction. I have owned the vehicle since it was new and love it, but very disappointed with the cost of maintenance and NO help from Ford on the COPs!! and now this!! Unbelievable to only have 5,000 miles and to have this expense. Besides not driving it much, what am I doing wrong?

Comment

2002 Bird 33,700 miles with no fuel pump problems

Comment

The 2002 Thunderbird Blue went at 25,700 miles about two months ago.
        02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
        02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
        03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
        03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
        04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
        04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
        04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
        04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
        05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
        05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
        05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
        - 48&DC

Comment

Besides not driving it much, what am I doing wrong?
          Believe you answered your own question. Keeping these cars on the road seems to make them operate much better than those that are only driven occasionally.
          Mike

sigpic

Comment

I initially answered this poll in the negative then a few days later my fuel pump failed while the car was in the garage. Had it towed to the dealer for repair--$1,300.00 job. 2002 with 46,000 miles.

Comment

Same here, '02 with very low miles.

C.

Comment

Mine failed at 36000 miles when it came out of winter hibernation. My Mechanic said it has a lot to do with ethanol. Not sure that is the reason as I would think that these cars were designed to run on that?

Comment

I am thinking the news is much worse than the poll will indicate. Those who have purchased secondhand may have had the pump replaced by a prior owner. Or, if blessed with a memory like mine, may have had it done themselves years before and forgotten.

Thunderbird owners seem to not be like the owners of the old European cars where every service document is retained. Summary documents a couple of times removed aren't the same thing.

Comment

My 2003 has over 120k and as far as I know of it's original. I've only replaced one electric fuel pump on any of my Ford's. My 96 Mark VIII failed in my driveway but my son's 93 with over 175k is original, my 94 Vic had 260k, another 94 Vic over 200k, a 2005 Grand Marquis with 242k, and Explorer with 212k are original.

Comment

Fuel pump went out on my 02 last week. 56K miles.
                      Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even. Will Rogers

Comment

Yep it's my turn. Fuel pump out at 15750 miles.
                        Last edited by Ricker; Mar 25, 2018, 07:25 AM.
                        Be good and if you can't be good be careful.

Comment

I guess not to bad. $900.00 for labor and parts at the ford dealer.
                          Be good and if you can't be good be careful.

Comment

Yes. One at 4000 miles on one car. The other at 188 miles. Both many years old before fail. Always use stabil and run cars monthly. Nonetheless still failed. Not fun to replace but only due to location behind seats
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC

Comment

Original pump still in place at 22,329 miles. Car was built June 2001, 20 years ago next month.
                              02 Bird yelo/yelo full accent
                              20 Ford Escape SE

Comment

Originally posted by yelobird2002 View Post
                                Original pump still in place at 22,329 miles. Car was built June 2001, 20 years ago next month.
                                The fuel pump on my grey 03 Thunderbird went out in December 2019. Only a little over 13,000 miles on the car at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X