Rodents & A Silver Lining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodents & A Silver Lining

I've been fighting with rodents in the back yard for a while now. Wednesday, I went out and started Merlot. She ran extremely rough, erratic idle, and no power. Opened the hood and found poo on the engine cover and that wonderful aroma. Had her towed to East West Lincoln ($120) and they tracked the problem to chewed up vacuum hoses. Two days and $760 later, Merlot is back home and running fine. And parked elsewhere. Silver lining is that they ran a complete diagnosis on her and checked all her systems and she got a clean bill of health. Good for another 13 years and 29K miles. Gotta look for the positives in these events. As for the rodents, unfortunately I have neighbors on both sides that I can't control.
    sigpic

I had the same problem a few years ago. It is a more common problem than we realize. The rats will also eat the insulation on the electrical wires. I placed some plug in rodent repellent devices in the garage at the recommendation of my exterminator and luckily have not had a repeat problem. The repellants are by Victor MFG and I bought them at Home Depot for about $30.00.

Comment

Billy,

Is this the one you bought?

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Comment

I thought I read that these sound pest control devices were a "gimmick" and didn't really work. Do they? Maybe they work on animals but not insects? Is the sound in a range that dogs or cats could hear?

Comment

I've considered the electronic repellers that hard wire into the vehicle. Also have considered poisoned meat, a shotgun, and a meaner dog.
          sigpic

Comment

The ones I have came three to a package, has a LED light on top and no cord, plugs directly into the wall outlet. I also place one under the T-Bird with a extension cord when in long term periods of non use. Very high pitch sound ultra-sonic sounds that I cannot hear unless standing next to it. One of my friends had the same problem last year and is also using them. He also has not had a repeat problem since installing them. The one you are showing is by the same company, but looks larger. May be a newer model.

Comment

Comment

I am enjoying my TBird this summer unlike last year where it sat for 9 months while I searched out wiring issues... turned out to be 3 chewed sensor wires on the top of the fuel tank. Soy wires.. nothing but problems in the future.

Comment

Good luck with your rodent problem.

I am dealing with mosquitos this year. INSIDE THE HOUSE. They are little ones, like those in Subic Bay. I got new flooring put in my downstairs, over 2 months ago, The workers had the French doors open for about a few hours. I am STILL getting bitten by the damn things. What is keeping them alive? ME ?? Update, they just installed new weather stripping on the French doors, and had both doors open for an hour. I may be living with mosquitos for the rest of my life, with this latest generation settling in.

Car passed inspection today. Knock wood.
                  Allen, TX
                  The best trophies are miles on the odometer, stone chips in the paint, dead bugs on the windshield, and the occasional smell of manure.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGeorge View Post

Car passed inspection today. Knock wood.
                    Heck with the car George. How the H are you doing?

Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by carnut View Post
                      I am enjoying my TBird this summer unlike last year where it sat for 9 months while I searched out wiring issues... turned out to be 3 chewed sensor wires on the top of the fuel tank. Soy wires.. nothing but problems in the future.
                      They chewed up all the rear wires on my Dakota, the back up light wires on my Volvo then cost me $600 and numerous trips to various places for the 23 (!) codes on my 10,000 mile Jaguar due to four wires eaten. I got one back when it bit into Crossfire's hydraulic lines and died on the spot.

I tried sonic systems, moth balls, dryer sheets and cab fresh. It has taken five years, but finally I think I have them beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X