Considering Straight Pipe Option?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Straight Pipe Option?

Did the straight pipe mod (eliminated mufflers) over the weekend and couldn't be happier with the result. Nice low rumble at most throttle settings but gets progressively louder with increased throttle pressure - but never objectionable. Most of the time (neutral throttle) barely audible. As have others here, I would strongly suggest this as a first option before spending on Borlas or Magnaflows. $170 at my bandit muffler shop!

Good luck with that. I know Maryland isn't that strict but other states are, I lived in Pa. for 60 years and that would never have passed state inspection there. I'll stick with my Borles
    They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
    IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
    Visit the TBN Store

Comment

need a sound clip with video.... Thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by bsedwebt View Post
        On YouTube, there is a video of the replacement of our stock exhaust to Borlas. With the original exhaust removed, he starts it up and revs it up a few times. It is quite a mellow sound, compared to what one would expect. Like previous posts indicate, you might be able to get away with it in some states, but the annual inspection gets scary.

Check out the YouTube site. I hope this helps.
        Allen, TX
        The best trophies are miles on the odometer, stone chips in the paint, dead bugs on the windshield, and the occasional smell of manure.

Comment

Originally posted by bsedwebt View Post
          What George said above, Bryan. Honestly, if I knew how to do a sound clip I would. As a techno-dummy I barely manage to do print communication on this here website/forum.

Found the clip, but it's with entire exhaust removed - still sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuciDe388kA (around the 8 minute mark).

Last edited by vinnie; Oct 12, 2017, 10:59 AM. Reason: added sound clip video

Comment

I think you'll really like it. I had an '03 that had the rear mufflers removed and the tips attached to the pipes that ran off the "forward" mufflers (they were also moved "rearward" 2"). I loved the sound of it and will probably do that to the TBird I end up keeping.

Comment

i replaced the rear resonators with small bullit resonators, and had the original tips welded back on, moved to the rear by about 2 inches. Very nice sound, not a noticeable change in sound at cruise in high gear, but a very nice mellow rumble going through the gears.

Comment

Vinnie it is easier to remove than add back on exhaust parts. I put straight pipe where the front 'resonators' were and then replaced the rear mufflers with Flowmaster. I too moved the tips out about 2 inches. Sr. Gar put on the 'cutoffs' which would be really loud. Black Beauty at highway speeds is quiet enough. We're having fun at NOLA! I'll get Nancy to sign my strut covers today!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post

What George said above, Bryan. Honestly, if I knew how to do a sound clip I would. As a techno-dummy I barely manage to do print communication on this here website/forum.

Found the clip, but it's with entire exhaust removed - still sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuciDe388kA (around the 8 minute mark).

As the guy who did the YouTube video said, you can't tell the loudness with the stock exhaust system removed because of the 3000 rpm rev limiter in neutral and park. The difference is sound level really shows up with the Borlas at about 4000 rpm in any gear other than 5th. And it gets progressively louder as you approach the 6000 - 6250 shift point. Without any mufflers at all, I think you would probably not have a happy passenger (read wife/girlfriend), Borlas are the way to go.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                    Sr. Gar put on the 'cutoffs' which would be really loud.
                    Not loud at all. Just a stout burble that hints at some V8 power and properly announces your arrival. I shut it off on the highway as I find the drone unpleasant.
                    The cutout bypasses the mufflers and is almost the equivalent of replacing the rear cans with straight pipes although I have much less tailpipe which if anything woud be slightly louder. Just perfect for crawling through a parking lot of car buffs or pulling up to (or leaving) a friend's driveway.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=BShGJMticpA
                    Capture1.JPG
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NzGNgPaMPIQ
                    Capture2.JPG
                    Last edited by Señor Gar; Oct 16, 2017, 11:32 PM.
                    ...........sigpic

Comment

Based on what you just said, on the highway without any sound control (ie Borlas) the drone is unpleasant. For that reason if Borlas are affordable you can have a nice deep sound for normal in town driving and not be annoyed by an unpleasaant drone at 65 -75 mph. A cut out is preferable to straight pipes but I still like the fumes out the back through a tail pipe, not under the car where they can be easily inhaled.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EllisonCal View Post
                        Based on what you just said, on the highway without any sound control (ie Borlas) the drone is unpleasant. For that reason if Borlas are affordable you can have a nice deep sound for normal in town driving and not be annoyed by an unpleasaant drone at 65 -75 mph. A cut out is preferable to straight pipes but I still like the fumes out the back through a tail pipe, not under the car where they can be easily inhaled.
                        post QTP Wiring .jpg
                        post3.jpg
                        No fumes, ever. For nonbelievers, and I know you are out there, a simple straight pipe extension would put your imagination at rest.

The rest is subjective. I have heard Borlas and find them too loud for daily driving of any kind maybe because I enjoy a quiet car 99% of the time. On the other hand I think they are quite impressive in brief demos. Just wish they could be turned OFF for normal driving. Car manufacturers recognise this on newer high performance models by supplying factory installed cutouts and that's the way I went.
                        Last edited by Señor Gar; Oct 17, 2017, 11:50 PM.
                        ...........sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X