This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Special Vehicle X Plan Pricing

Back on September 1st, I drove my 2003 Subaru Baja pickup to work. When I went lunch, I made a left turn as I didn't see any oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, a woman driving a Kia Optima came through the intersection and hit the right side of my Baja along the pickup bed. Long story cut short, the cost to repair would probably cost about the same or possibly more than the value of my vehicle so they declared it a total loss and paid me $8,610 which was pretty fair.

While I don't have a huge need for a pickup, it sure is handy at times. I was considering possibly trading in my 2010 Lincoln Town Car on a new truck and making that my new daily driver. I own some stock in Ford and I found out that shareholders are eligible for special pricing. You have to fill out the form below and send it to Ford to get a PIN number that you provide to the dealer to get the preferred pricing.

http://www.fordflex.net/misc/ford-sh...pplication.pdf

I haven't really decided what I want to do. I really like the new 2017 and 2018 Honda Ridgeline which probably fits my needs about as well as anything on the market right now. However I was also considering a Ford F150 XL model with the STX option package to make it a little nicer. Some good deals to possibly be had on leftover 2017's. Probably more truck than I would ever use, but I could probably get one for a little less than the Ridgeline in the mid-level RTL trim.

Just thought I would pass the info along.
    Last edited by BirdsAndBugs; Oct 11, 2017, 10:47 PM.

The world of pickups is very strange right now. The "new" idea is mid-size. Check the GM/Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma. Ford is bringing back the Ranger in the next couple of years, again as a mid-size. The catch is that the full-size trucks are now humongous beasts and the mid-size trucks are now the size of the old full-size trucks. For me, and as noted, way more truck than most people need. I have a 2010 Ranger that is pretty much a right-sized truck. Unfortunately, the manufacturers have abandoned that idea.
    sigpic

Comment

Greg, thanks for the explanation of the X plan. I wondered how it worked.

Hope your Wife is recovering from her surgery well.

RBIRD
      Be just what you is, not what you is not. Folks what do this is the happiest lot.....Mr. Wizard the Lizard

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know for sure if they are genuine.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

While the "X" Plan is good, don't get caught in the trap. Dealers must sell the vehicle at the X price amount that is on the invoice. They cannot deviate from that price. I have the X Plan through work and usually my Salesperson can beat the "X" Plan price so I end up taking my X Plan form and pin # and throw in the trash. My salesperson beat the X Plan price on my 2013 F150 FX2 Sport by about 7K.
        02 Bird yelo/yelo full accent
        20 Ford Escape SE

Comment

Thanks for the poop, guys, although it sounds like the X Plan is too good to be true.

I miss the small trucks (Ford Ranger, e.g.). Years ago, I did some pricing, and the small trucks were "the most car for the money." I am sorry to hear that Rangers are coming back bigger. That said, I have friends who say that if you can't fit a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood into the bed, it isn't a truck. I had a shock when I moved here: I wanted to buy an F150 as a second car and a tow vehicle for my boat. In every place and state I ever lived, a garage was 22 feet deep. Well, my condo here in Texas is only 19 feet deep! And with my work bench and tool chests against the back wall, a truck was out. In fact, I barely get my Retro in there. I was shocked to find out that my Retro is 18" longer than my Mazda Tribute that it replaced. With the Retro, I had to get rid of two cabinets and a bicycle. My next-door-neighbor (bless her heart) was nice enough to put my recycle trash bin and my convertible top for my Tbird in her garage.

Jeez, how did I get on this tangent? We were talking about pickup trucks. I apologize. Jeez, I eventually would have brought the conversation around to Natalie Wood. (I miss her.)
          Allen, TX
          The best trophies are miles on the odometer, stone chips in the paint, dead bugs on the windshield, and the occasional smell of manure.

Comment

Originally posted by yelobird2002 View Post
            While the "X" Plan is good, don't get caught in the trap. Dealers must sell the vehicle at the X price amount that is on the invoice. They cannot deviate from that price. I have the X Plan through work and usually my Salesperson can beat the "X" Plan price so I end up taking my X Plan form and pin # and throw in the trash. My salesperson beat the X Plan price on my 2013 F150 FX2 Sport by about 7K.
            I was kind of wondering about that myself Lon. I was looking at Team Ford's web site and they have some pretty good cash on the hood of the 2017 model F150's right now. Of course the one I'm looking at is the XL with the STX package. Just can't seem to decide if I want to spend $30,000+ on a new vehicle right now when my Town Car is paid for, runs well, and handles most of my transportation needs pretty well. I guess a truck is more a want than a need for me so I've kind of been on the fence about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGeorge View Post

I miss the small trucks (Ford Ranger, e.g.).
              Still somewhat off topic . . . Ford cancelled the Ranger in 2012 citing poor sales, which they took to mean consumers wanted more big trucks and SUVs. What they ignored was that the Ranger had a major update for 1993 with a second adjustment for 1998. There were no major upgrades after that. So, they had a 19 year-old design and it still was selling despite the fact that they had virtually abandoned it. I still don't understand their logic.
              sigpic

Comment

Greg...if you rarely need a truck, consider renting one by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealy View Post

Still somewhat off topic . . . Ford cancelled the Ranger in 2012 citing poor sales, which they took to mean consumers wanted more big trucks and SUVs. What they ignored was that the Ranger had a major update for 1993 with a second adjustment for 1998. There were no major upgrades after that. So, they had a 19 year-old design and it still was selling despite the fact that they had virtually abandoned it. I still don't understand their logic.
                  Sealy, you'll go nuts trying to figure out Ford's logic on a lot of things.
                  21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by yelobird2002 View Post
                    Sorry to disagree with you Lon but I don't believe that. I worked at Ford for 46 years and am entitled to give out X plan PINs to "Friends and Neighbors". I know pretty much how the system works... If a dealer sells a car on X plan, (just a couple hundred $ over dealer cost) then Ford sends the dealer a check for about $1,500. Now if the dealer says he can beat the X plan price then you have to ask yourself WHY is he passing up that $1,500 check and the answer is he is making MORE money by declining the X plan and it's accompanying restrictions. If a dealer accepts the X plan pin:
                    #1. He can not charge more than (I think) $85 for "documentation fees" - many dealers charge $250 or more for this. The dealer may not charge ANYTHING else except taxes. They can not charge advertising, prep, or any other BS fees.
                    #2. The dealer MUST pass along ALL REBATES to the buyer, advertised or not.

While I worked at Ford I had contacts in Dearborn to follow up on the sales transactions. Given the VIN I was able to track down two transactions where the dealer claims to have beaten the X plan price. In the first case it turned out the guy didn't really buy a brand new car, he bought a "dealer demo" - If a dealer designates a certain car as a dealer demo then Ford gives the dealer a big break on the price and it is no loner eligible for X or A, or Z plan pricing (A & Z plan are for employees and retirees and their families and get an even better than X plan price). While the vehicle had never been titled, and had the full warranty, it was a USED vehicle and no longer eligible for the additional check Ford would have sent the dealer for selling a plan vehicle.

The second case where the dealer claims to have beaten the X plan price was on a Thunderbird (I think it was on a 2005 model). Someone here at TBN boasted they had gotten a better than X plan price so turned down use of the X plan PIN. Remember what I said about the restrictions placed on the dealer - they can not charge excessive "fees" and they must pass along ALL rebates, advertised or not. In this case, Ford had an UNADVERTISED DEALER REBATE of $4,000. Ford gave the dealer that sum to sell a new Thunderbird, The dealer could pass along all $4,000 to the customer if he wanted or give it to the salesman as an incentive, or keep the entire sum for the dealership, or split the $4000 between the customer, salesman and dealership any way he wants. For the X plan, the dealer is required to sell the car at a certain percent(1%?) over his cost. At the time the original vehicle invoice is printed rebates are not reflected on that sheet because rebates come and go and vary by region. On the original invoice the A plan (employees) and X plan price are printed at the bottom of the sheet and again, rebates are not reflected in this price. So in the case where the customer declined to use the X plan on the Thunderbird, the dealer had $4,000 unadvertised money to play with and was able sell the vehicle for say, $1.500 below the printed X plan price on the invoice. The dealer still made an additional $2,500!! If the dealer had accepted the X plan PIN (and Ford's subsequent check) they would have been required to pass along ALL $4,000 to the customer, thus it would have been about $4000 below the printed X plan price on the invoice.

A dealer is not forced to accept A,X, or Z plan PINs but if they refuse to accept it, you have to ask yourself WHY is he turning down this additional check from Ford? The only answer is because they make more money avoiding the restrictions OR the vehicle is not eligible for A, X or Z plan pricing. Besides being a dealer demo, another reason a vehicle may not be eligible is it is no longer a current new vehicle. A new vehicle loses it's plan pricing eligibility in March of the year after the vehicle model year. In other words a 2016 vehicle loses it's plan eligibility in March 2017. A 2017 vehicle loses its eligibility in March 2018. The reason a prior year vehicle is not eligible is Ford gives the dealer a final rebate after the new model comes out. And one more reason a dealer might refuse X plan is if the dealer has previously violated AXZ plan rules. But he lost that privilege because he over charged customers on plan purchases.

Lon, I no longer have the connections to trace your transaction but I would bet there is a "story" involved in why the dealer passed up this approximate $1.500 check so he could save you $7.0000. He was NOT obligated to sell it to you at the printed X plan invoice price (unless the price had not changed since the original invoice was printed), he is obligated to sell it to you at a certain % over the actual dealer cost at the time of the sale. If the dealers cost drops then the X plan price goes lower also. So Lon, you are saying you bought a brand new F150 for about $9,000 UNDER window sticker price? And it wasn't a leftover model year?
                    Last edited by Quickdraw; Oct 12, 2017, 01:04 PM.
                    Quickdraw
                    Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Harry, thanks for all the good information. I do have a question though. If I apply for an X plan PIN, is that good forever or do I have to use it within a certain time period (such as within 60 or 90 days for example)?

Comment

PINs are typically good for one year. Do not give the dealer your pin until finalizing the deal. If he enters your PIN into the system you are locked into that dealer unless you get another PIN. One area the dealer is not regulated is on the amount they give you for your trade in so best to get their offer BEFORE you tell them you have a PIN.
                        Quickdraw
                        Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Get the Ridgeline, you'll love it. I bought mine last April and have 7800 trouble free miles on it. There are so many great things about this truck. I have owned F-150's , Dodges, GMCs and a Ranger. This Ridgeline is the best of all of them. Go to the Honda Ridgeline forum and you'll get the whole scoop. Of course I can never leave anything stock ( except for my 2002 Bird ) so I added a few aftermarket items to my RLT-E .

Comment

Here are a couple more Ridgeline photos after I designed and applied graphics to it

Comment

Dealer incentives come into play on this. Truck I bought was on a lot for a year and the incentives apparently piled up.
                              02 Bird yelo/yelo full accent
                              20 Ford Escape SE

Comment

Working...
                              X