Cruise control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control

My cruise control is not working. Anybody out there with that problem and or repair. 03 thunderbird. Thanks for your responses.

May be an elementary question, but have you turned it on? There is a switch on the right side, behind the steering wheel spokes. If that is on, and the cruise still does not work, it probably is the clock spring inside the wheel hub.
    Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

I think it's on the left side, David.

Comment

Originally posted by longbill View Post
        I think it's on the left side, David.
        Bill, you are correct. Switch on left side of wheel is for cruise control, switch on right side of wheel is for radio.
        Sam

Comment

I recall, just after getting my 02, that the cruise control didnít work. Well, I ordered a clock spring replacement part and was reading up on how to do the part replacement when I found comments on the cruise control operation. Imagine my surprise, after reading the ownerís manual and finding the on/off switch on the left side of the steering wheel. Took the car out for a road test, selected the switch on the left side and, Poof, the cruise control worked. Now I have a $165 clock spring part as unused and in storage ready to be used when needed. All leads back to a common practice of RTFM, Read The Formal Manual!
          Pensacola, FL
          02 Whisper White

Comment

Had the clock spring replaced and I do turn the switch on. So what could be next?

Comment

DOES IT HAVE ANY "FUSE" JUST WONDERING AS I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM ?

Comment

Donít know if there is a fuse . Anyone know if a fuse could be it? That simple ? Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Just when I thought it was a clock spring the stop switch was replaced and problems went away. About a $5 part.

Comment

What is the stop switch? Where is it located, excuse my lack of knowledge? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by lfk_tbird View Post
                      What is the stop switch? Where is it located, excuse my lack of knowledge? Thanks for the reply.
                      Stop switch is down by the brake pedal that engages when you push the brake. This may affect cruise control because cruise control disengages each time the stop switch is activated.

Comment

Have you checked the Cruise control on light on the instrument panel? It should light up when the cruise control button is activated. If it is, you know the switch is working, at least. More digging would be needed.

RBIRD
                        Be just what you is, not what you is not. Folks what do this is the happiest lot.....Mr. Wizard the Lizard

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know for sure if they are genuine.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Cruise control circuit does not have any fuses.
                          cruise control or as the shop manual calls it, Speed Control, is completely operated by the Power train Control Module. The PCM reacts to imputs from the Speed Control switches on the steering wheel, the Brake pedal position switch and information the PCM gets from all the other sensors the monitor the speed of the car.
                          The switch assembly on steering wheel is wired to the clock spring in the column. From there the circuit goes directly to the PCM. The Brake position switch is also a direct wiring to the PCM.
                          Unfortunately the PCM could be the problem, but the Brake position switch assembly first & then the Speed Control Switch assembly would be the easiest & least expensive parts to go after before thinking about the PCM.
                          Please keep us up dated as to what fixes this. It really does matter because it helps us all understand our car's operation.
                          Mike

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I will take your suggestions. I think I found a company that can rebuild the pcm. Automotive modules .com. Now to find where the pcm is located and remove.

Comment

PCM is not hard to remove, just extremely maddening. It is up under the dash. Accessible by removing the glove box door & compartment along with duct work to pass. side of venting. Plus a bunch of other stuff. This would be a last resort for me.
                              I would do the switch assembly in the steering wheel & the Brake switch 1st if you haven't.

Also PCM may not be faulty could be just some contamation on some connections anywhere in the circuitry.

I wish you the best of luck in this hunt. You will learn a lot about this unique car.
                              Mike

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X