NEW WINDSHIELD TIME! REVEAL QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW WINDSHIELD TIME! REVEAL QUESTION

Came home from work on Monday and it was mighty windy out. While gathering all my stuff in my driveway, it started raining tree limbs. Amazed that the windshield took the force of the impact. Shattered the passenger side with about a 6 inch crack on the driver side. Probably going with replacement glass over OEM.

Curious about the center chrome. If anyone has ordered a new piece, does or is the rubber strip attached or do I have to order that separate? I can't tell from the photos I've seen online. I'm ordering since my deductible is more than the repair. I figure I don't want to pay twice for the glass shop to do the labor to put on the new one.

Ouch!! I'm glad you weren't in the car, that there wasn't worse damage, that's a hefty looking limb. Here's a picture that might help with your question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2005-F...BZtsJG&vxp=mtr
    Life without passion is no life at all.
    Sean Combs

Comment

Yes the rubber comes with the molding and that is a good price on EBay.
      02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
      02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
      03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
      03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
      04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
      04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
      04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
      04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
      05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
      05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
      05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
      - 48&DC

Comment

New windshield installed and I'm NOT happy. When driving it sounds like I have a window open! I have to turn up the radio over the noise!!! I also feel a breeze in the foot area so I am thinking there's a draft from somewhere but I don't feel it along the glass. Will let you know what I discover if I'm not hauled off to jail for beating the installer.

Comment

Could be the rubber molding at the bottom of the window on the outside is not back in place correctly.

Comment

Now that I read this I got a price quote for $600 OEM glass for my 2003 with heated wiper park area, antenna and no shading around rear view mirror from a competent installer - is this normal?

Comment

007Cruiser maybe correct. I was having a terrible noise in side the car and thought that the cover around the sun visor was the problem. After many failed attempts to remove the cover and putting foam and glues in the area, nothing stopped the noise. So finally on the return trip from the Big Teasy, I started to put painters tape on the outside moldings around the windshield. It wasn't until I started on the lower rubber molding of the windshield did the noise finally stop. I will wait until warmer weather to take it to the local glass shop and find out how he wants to proceed. Hope this helps. Pat
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bsedwebt View Post
                Now that I read this I got a price quote for $600 OEM glass for my 2003 with heated wiper park area, antenna and no shading around rear view mirror from a competent installer - is this normal?
                Not long ago I had my windshield replaced with a new non-OEM (but same glass manufacturer) piece. $500 Canadian installed including the taxes. I wish I could have located an original windshield but there wasn't one to be found without costly shipping.
                2002 Whisper White, Black Accent, Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by 94mcd View Post
                  007Cruiser maybe correct. I was having a terrible noise in side the car and thought that the cover around the sun visor was the problem. After many failed attempts to remove the cover and putting foam and glues in the area, nothing stopped the noise. So finally on the return trip from the Big Teasy, I started to put painters tape on the outside moldings around the windshield. It wasn't until I started on the lower rubber molding of the windshield did the noise finally stop. I will wait until warmer weather to take it to the local glass shop and find out how he wants to proceed. Hope this helps. Pat
                  Pat, If you replaced your cabin filter you may not have gotten that cover under the rubber in the right position. Not hard to do.
                  They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                  IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                  Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Spence, it was loose all across the bottom. While on the way home, I started at the cabin filter and worked my way across the whole bottom to the driver side. Once I had the whole thing covered, all the noise stopped. A service manager looked at it said that at higher speeds 60+ because it is not tight against windshield it will flap on the windshield and the sound will travel into the inside of the car which is exactly what I experienced. Another interesting thing was that I noticed when out of traffic the noise was unbearable but if I got right behind an eighteen wheeler it stopped so that's when I started looking at the windshield and started the taping. I'm sure that having the windshield replaced twice has not help this matter.
                    sigpic

Comment

I had this problem as Gobird stated after I replaced my cabin air filter. I believe the problem comes from only lifting up the passengers side, I think by doing so you can bow the center of the piece and then the clip may not lock in properly. My advice is to remove both wiper arms and remove the entire plastic piece that runs along the bottom. (I can't remember if you have to remove the 2 side pieces as well). But once it's off line it up and click in the center clips first work your way to both sides

Comment

It really sounds like the cowl piece was not re-installed correctly. Just needs to be removed and reinstalled making sure that all the clips on the underside of it go in the correct positions. The tape to cover the piece you state is a stop gap measure but you will want that cowl replaced correctly.
                        Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnne View Post
                          New windshield installed and I'm NOT happy. When driving it sounds like I have a window open! I have to turn up the radio over the noise!!! I also feel a breeze in the foot area so I am thinking there's a draft from somewhere but I don't feel it along the glass. Will let you know what I discover if I'm not hauled off to jail for beating the installer.
                          JoAnne, if you're still having a problem with it and it's the plastic piece at the bottom I can fix it for you in a few minutes (or at least take a guess as what it might be)

Comment

Follow up on windshield install - My trusted installer did a great job - no busted trim and no problems. He did order the OEM glass but it seems as though the glass is not the same as it was originally since the manufacturer has changed - lettering and such is different. Since this is the case I just went with the lesser priced glass for $425 total.

Comment

For once I must have gotten a great deal! Gerber Glass, replacement windshield not OEM and $233 total out the door.Looking at my bill the glass was orig $402.55 and they gave it to me for $144.92. Probably that last windshield they had sitting around thinking they'd never sell or something. Woooo.

As for the wind noise, I found out the problem and fixed it.
                              Driving down the highway it got too warm in my car so I just did a quick down/up of the driver window and noticed that when closed, I could put my finder in the space between the roofline and glass in the upper right corner. First I thought maybe the door wasn't fully closed or something. Then I noted that I could see separation between the windshield and the conv top. Pulled over and noticed that the driver clamp wasn't properly closed. The J hook had missed its mark and didn't attach to anything. Used my finger to nudge it back in place and sound problem resolved!

Comment

Working...
                              X