Motor Question For The Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Question For The Forum

This question is just out of curiosity and my engine on my 03 is purring like a kitten.But I was wondering from some of you real motorheads out here if a crate motor could be run in a retro T-Bird ? At some point in time I am sure I will be facing this because my engine will have given out or just plain be to expensive to rebuild.Can and will a V8 350 crate motor fit and be able to run my retro ?? Thank you for your thoughts and ideals.

Originally posted by TommyT View Post
    This question is just out of curiosity and my engine on my 03 is purring like a kitten.But I was wondering from some of you real motorheads out here if a crate motor could be run in a retro T-Bird ? At some point in time I am sure I will be facing this because my engine will have given out or just plain be to expensive to rebuild.Can and will a V8 350 crate motor fit and be able to run my retro ?? Thank you for your thoughts and ideals.
    While I'm not a motorhead, the answer is no.
    Quickdraw
    Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Here's an answer that was debated by the guys on Mecum and they said that Ford had a variety of engines to choose from at the time this came out. They had a 5.0 and a 4.6 and even a 4.0 v/6 and they said that because of space and the fact that it is basically a Jaguar that the slightly modified Jag motor was the only v/8 to fit the engine compartment.
      I would think that Ford choose the 3.9 as partly due to economics, but if you wanted to throw enough money at someone they might take your money and shoe horn in another motor.
      I think if the motor got that bad it would be time for a replacement retro. IMHO that would be far more practical
      Last edited by carntz; Dec 7, 2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

a chevy 350/350 swap would be easy ,,the bird electronics would be a nitemare

Comment

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Any engine can be swapped into any vehicle - depends how much work you will pay for.

Jag AJ-V8 4.2L engines will bolt in - supercharged included. Aston-Martin NA 4.7L AJ-V8 will fit with dry-sump accessories. Both rated 420hp in standard form.
          Electronics aren't the problem many who don't know about vehicle electronics claim.

Saying "350" sorta dates your experience. GM/Chevrolet small block 350 is so outdated virtually nobody does them any more. No other GM 350 is worth anything other than quirky retro clown-car Kustoms.
          GM LS/LT engine swaps are so common today it's almost embarrassing to say have one. SIL does LS into BMW for a living.
          We're lighter. We're faster. If that don't work, we're nastier.
          We're gonna make history.

Comment

Sacrilege!!! But to be expected. Go for the Coyote and glue fake fur on the motormounts

Comment

[QUOTE=Sierra977;n1016933] Electronics aren't the problem many who don't know about vehicle electronics claim.

I'm confused. What are you saying here?

Comment

@Quickdraw...While I'm not a motorhead either, the answer is yes(LOL).
                03FUNDER

Comment

Tommy with your unwarranted frugal budget, I'd say your first improvement would be the intake and exhaust in your present configuration. Then add SCT. Sierra is probably the fastest car here. I'm thinking our 'group' meeting in The Villages for Saturday is not looking good..rain !

Comment

Originally posted by FUNDERMAN View Post
                    @Quickdraw...While I'm not a motorhead either, the answer is yes(LOL).
                    If you knew the trouble FORD MOTOR company themselves had trying to get the Jaguar supercharger to run in the Thunderbird you wouldn't say "yes". Only people who are unaware of the pitfalls say it isn't a problem. I don't believe ANYONE here knows of a non-Thunderbird engine being installed in a Retro.
                    Last edited by Quickdraw; Dec 7, 2017, 04:43 PM.
                    Quickdraw
                    Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                      I'm thinking our 'group' meeting in The Villages for Saturday is not looking good..rain !
                      Greg,
                      Keep me posted. It's a hundred miles for us. Don't mind the drive, but if we get there and it's cancelled I won't be happy.
                      T-Birding it's the only way to fly!
                      Richard & Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                        I'm thinking our 'group' meeting in The Villages for Saturday is not looking good..rain !
                        I'm betting everyone of them are waterproof.

21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post

I'm betting everyone of them are waterproof.
                          I'm sure you are right. My 02 sat in the parking lot at the event in Dearborn a few years ago for two days until the sun came out and dried everything up. Underside of car had never been wet.

Comment

Well I'm not surprised it seems some have said NO and some have said YES.. But it seems using the old school phrase "motor head" when referring to someone who knew auto motors inside and out seemed to make some here feel defensive.So I come away realizing I won't be putting a crate motor in my retro.Thank you to all the Forum members who replied!!!

Comment

FWIW, I read on the LS forum (same motor) that "you wont blow" up this motor. They last very well, reportedly. Mine has 114k and doesnt use a drop of oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X