Interior Leather Dye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Leather Dye

Sorry guys, tried using the search function but didn't find anything relevant

The saddle part of the steering wheel and the saddle gear shift knob are really looking shabby. Any thoughts on a product that will bring them back to standard?.

(By shabby I mean the steering wheel has areas darkened and the gear shift knob really darkened. Assume oils from hand over time have darkened both. Surfaces are both smooth and intact.)
    Last edited by wcoates; Jun 3, 2018, 04:04 PM.
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

A decent trim shop could get the correct dye for you if you can't find it online...

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
      A decent trim shop could get the correct dye for you if you can't find it online...
      a good thought Harry! If I can't find it I'll go back to the shop that dyes the door panels for me. Was 3 years ago and the match was perfect and has held up well. Would like to do it myself if I can fin the right product.
      2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Someone had posted a manufacturer that has all thw correct dyes but I can't find it either

Comment

I believe it was Dot who posted this site at some point.

https://colorplus.com

Comment

Bill, clean them with some saddle soap. It won't bring them back to original condition but will help clean them up and preserve the leather as well.

Comment

Auto stores that sell SEM products will work. The oil based ones will hold up better than the water based ones. But the water based ones have a softer feel. You will need to clean the area very well with SEM soap and vinyl leather prep. Also available at quality auto stores. For areas of hard use prime first with Bull Dog adhesion primer. Or hire a pro. Some stores can match colors into spray cans. I make my own and use an airbrush

Comment

Originally posted by BacktotheFuturePete View Post
                Auto stores that sell SEM products will work. The oil based ones will hold up better than the water based ones. But the water based ones have a softer feel. You will need to clean the area very well with SEM soap and vinyl leather prep. Also available at quality auto stores. For areas of hard use prime first with Bull Dog adhesion primer. Or hire a pro. Some stores can match colors into spray cans. I make my own and use an airbrush
                Thanks Pete, T P Tools (sandblasting equipment ) is less than two miles away and sell SEM products. Will take a minute and run over today!

Comment

Originally posted by wcoates View Post

Thanks Pete, T P Tools (sandblasting equipment ) is less than two miles away and sell SEM products. Will take a minute and run over today!
                  Went to look at the SEM product. All the had was a "camel color" in a spray can.

Thinking I'll try this as I will try it on the gear shift knob before the steering wheel as I have a spare gear shift knob if it doesn't work.

They call it saddle so we shall see!

https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-L...k%2Bbrown&th=1

Comment

In my area we have Auto Value stores that will custom mix your color into a spray can. I believe NAPA will also but they charge more.

Comment

WHEEL.jpgFound a sample of Lexol leather cleaner that must have been in the garage unopened for years.
                      Attached Files

Comment

WHEEL2.jpgworld of difference. Looks like dye wasn't needed. Just a good cleaning with a good product. Lexol leather cleaner. Incredible how easy it was to use.

Comment

Well, there goes the patina, Bill! Looks good.

Bob
                          Be just what you is, not what you is not. Folks what do this is the happiest lot.....Mr. Wizard the Lizard

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know for sure if they are genuine.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It looks good Bill.

Comment

Perhaps driving gloves are in order?
                              16 years, 146K miles, 48 States & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 100+ T-bird events, 160+ retrobird diecasts/models, 10 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS to TBN !

Comment

Working...
                              X