Mystery leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery leak

Had all new hoses installed at Ford dealership at first of year, car driven about 3000 miles since including 2 trips of 105 miles round trip, yesterday, after wife drove to beauty shop and back, maybe 15 miles, I went to leave in my truck and noticed a large puddle of antifreeze about 2 feet behind the tbird, it was about 3 ft wide and traced it as it narrowed to about a foot right behind left front tire, degas bottle I thought,( read on forum in past while research how to bleed system) researched comments and decided to go with oem part.
    This morning I was going to check it to make sure, degas bottle was about 1/3 full, started it up and let it idle about 10 min till it came up to temp, degas bottle filled up to about 2 inches from top, no leaks, tookit out for about a 5 mile cruise ( stayed close to home) car temp stayed at half way, degas bottle still up close to top, after sitting 30 min not 1 drop under car! Under hood is clean , no leaks visible anywhere, ( like if degas lid overflowed)
    Any thoughts ? It is in the 90’s on my test drive, ran AC, car ran probably 30 min total this morning

Two ideas.
    One.... They over filed the system in the beginning at the dealer ship or didn't bleed air out
    Two...Possible that there was air in system and it belched it out ( the bleed valve is slightly open)

Comment

That’s what I’m thinking , the bleed valve was closed though, and we’ve driven it several thousand miles since work was done, just checked it again and cap has pressure when you unscrew it( about 20 min since driven), I’ve even taken it out on highway now for a 5 mile run at 60 mph and not a drop underneath it :)
      I can’t tell you how happy I am not to be changing that out today, it’s close to a 100 degrees outside now and I’m chilling in my recliner!!! Lol
      thanks for the reply

Comment

Whatever you do don't buy a Dorman. Buy only OEM Ford. I have replace 2-3 Dorman's on mine and they last about 3500 miles each. I had to replace my first on on a street in Santa Barbara, CA on a trip. Only had a 1/4th socket set, angle pliers and radiator hose hook tool. It's possible that the tank has a crack that seals until really heated up.

Comment

Thank you, reading this forum I’ve already decided OEM is only way to go!

Comment

Working...
          X