Transmission Replaced 2005 TB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Replaced 2005 TB

I am not sure where this note belongs but here I go. My TB has 56k miles and I will not waste your time telling you how many engine parts I have had to replace. Suffice to say COPS, alternator, 2 AC units, and so on. Each at around $1000.00. These are just a few of my issues.

However, I finally had to replace the whole transmission at a cost of $4700.00. This is my 2nd 2005 TB and the 1st one also has transmission problems.

Why am I writing? Just to alert readers that at some point, your transmission will get so bad you'll either have to live with it or replace it. Maybe not all of you but this note might ring true for some of you readers.

Ford gave me a 3-yr. guarantee and I hope this new transmission is much better than the originals. I was told by a Ford mechanic that the TB's are known for rough shifting and all together erratic behavior. New transmissions, (rebuilt that is) have much better actions (so I'm told) so I hope I'm OK for a while.

I can hear the frustration in your post. Sorry to hear you have had so much issues lately. My TBird has a hard kick now and then when driving and my mechanic has braced me for the reality that it is only a matter of time. I was planning on having the original trans rebuilt instead of buying a new one from Thunderbird Specialties. I wish it was possible to add some Sea Foam Trans additive (heard a lot of positive reviews) but the trans is not easy to access, Have you heard if any of those additives are worth trying in the interim? Probably would need to drain a little trans fluid to add the sea foam to maintain level. My mechanic really doesn't want to mess with it at this point. He does not recommend changing the trans fluid at 95,000 miles or adding an additive at this time.

Comment

Talk to your mechanics about this kit.
      My Ford dealer tore down my transmission instead of a rebuild or a replacement, installed this kit and all has been well for over 50K( car has 108K)
      55R5 Repair Kit.jpg
      Mike

sigpic

Comment

JEM...I feel your pain, buddy. The tranny in my 05 was a 10-year nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post
          JEM...I feel your pain, buddy. The tranny in my 05 was a 10-year nightmare.
          Our trans went out last 3 days before we were supposed to leave on the Wisconsin event in june 2017.. Had it rebuilt and now ac is out. again..
          Steve&Donna

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
            Talk to your mechanics about this kit.
            My Ford dealer tore down my transmission instead of a rebuild or a replacement, installed this kit and all has been well for over 50K( car has 108K)
            55R5 Repair Kit.jpg
            I had them use this kit while I was having the trans rebuilt and I was very happy with the results, I should check with the current owner to see how it's holding up. Mike, do you recall how much the labor was to install the kit? I didn't realize it could be installed without disassembling the transmission.

Comment

what's it cost? labor hours?

Comment

I would consider this option as well. How much total? Kit and labor?

Comment

From my observation, most of our transmissions hold up well. When they go bad, however, they are a nightmare.

Comment

The kit itself is the least piece of the cost at $80.00-$90.00 depending on where it is bought. It goes without saying that labor is the cost killer. The transmission needs to be removed from the car & serviced including the removal of the failed parts that allow the transmission to slip during shifting. This labor charge will vary all over the spectrum depending on who does the work. I suggest you begin calling around & get quotes. The T-Bird's transmission has been around a long time, used for years in Ford products, it is not unique to the Retro Bird.
                    Mike

sigpic

Comment

All I can say is my 02 has 138,000 on the clock and never a trans problem.
                      They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                      IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                      Visit the TBN Store

Comment

I had my 2003 trans rebuilt for about $ 3-k with a shift kit at 125-k miles. Have about 10-k on it since rebuild and so-far so-good. The transmission (according to the shop) is used in many Ford products. It would have cost less, but the shop said “the engine and transmission are big and the car is small, so it’s more time to remove and reinstall it”.

Comment

I have owned more Ford products than I can count and learned long ago that proper transmission service is critical. That means more than vacuuming out fluid and replacing it.
                          The filter must also be changed and torque converter drained. This should be done every 50-60 K miles. I had 2 transmissions that I was convinced needed rebuilt. and service cured the problem. At a cost of around $100. it is well worth doing esp. before problems appear. I was skeptical for a long time but it proved to be true for me. My first experience was a 1986 Mercury and I went in for a rebuild convinced the tran was shot. When tech recommended this I was very skeptical. I drove it another 40 K before trading with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X