2002 WITH ONLY 26 DELIVERY MILES UP FOR AUTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 WITH ONLY 26 DELIVERY MILES UP FOR AUTION

Thought you'd find this of interest. This is a 2002 Thunderbird with just 26 delivery miles up for auction later this month at Mecum's Monterey, California event:

https://cdn1.mecum.com/assets/docs/C...log/index.html

Pre-auction estimate is $ 40,000-50,000. If it sells for any more than $ 41,995, it will probably be the first Retro to bring MORE than the original MSRP.

I think it's a fairly good indication that the 2002-2005 Thunderbirds are poised to appreciate in value in general.
    Last edited by steelblue5505; Aug 18, 2018, 10:48 AM.
    Mike

sigpic

I don't expect this to make it to their estimate. Hope it does, but will be surprised.

Comment

That is extremely wishful thinking.

Comment

There was a lovely silver 2005 on Bring a Trailer recently. It had 19K miles and sold for $14,500. I don't know how strong prices will be overall; there's so many out there with low, low miles. A lot of retrobirds were tucked away and low-mileage examples abound.
        2002 Whisper White, Black Accent, Daily Driver

Comment

If that car brings that kind of money, it's from someone who isn't very "in tune" with these cars. Plenty of good low mileage examples are out there.

Even the classic 55-57 Thunderbirds don't bring the jack they once did. Many can be had in the $20,000 and $30,000 range now days.

Comment

Lets say it brings it. Along the way there were lots of bragging rights and pride of ownership as well. But how was it as an investment?

These are just quick calculations and could be off, but here are a few thoughts:

Assuming $38,890 list. $2,350 dealer magic fees and add-ons. $3,111 tax. $45,601 total investment.

-$45,601 in 2002 had the same buying power as $63,841 in 2018 considering CPI. It would need to bring that to breakeven.
            -Had that $45,601 been invested in SP 500 it would be worth $148,171 in 2018. The difference is a real opportunity cost especially if the owner had any borrowed money out on other investments.

These calculations assume there were no storage, insurance or maintenance costs nor taxes or finance fees.
            Last edited by AyPapiii; Aug 19, 2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

IMHO I doubt that car will bring that kind of money. I did have a neighbor in VA who bought really early in the game, he went to NY and paid $15,000 over sticker price.
              PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
              Built April 22, 2002
              Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by FUN X 3 View Post
                IMHO I doubt that car will bring that kind of money. I did have a neighbor in VA who bought really early in the game, he went to NY and paid $15,000 over sticker price.
                Wow Phil. That might be the epitome of "More money than brains".

In 2001 I was just retired from GM and did not want to buy GM again. Went to friendly local Ford Dealer who wanted $5k over. Walked out and forgot about it until I got the urge again in 2012. I've said many times that I've enjoyed the Bird more than any GM convertible I've ever owned but a premium price makes no sense IMHO.
                Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Okay my 2003 Whisper White with the same full red interior but a low mileage of 123,000 , maybe I could sneak it in and get someone on a binge rebound and get a bid on mines. We could only hope that someone bids high and makes the rest of us owners happy to be part of it in an odd way.
                  Last edited by ISSYRO; Aug 19, 2018, 11:02 AM.
                  Honor the sacrifices our predecessors paid for our country.

Comment

Here is the actual page from the auction catalog for those who could not locate it.
                    21(1).jpg
                    Mike

sigpic

Comment

Here is the write up.
                      21.jpg
                      Mike

sigpic

Comment

Seems if he was buying it with the intention of not driving it and keeping it as pristine as possible he would have told the dealer to leave that damned front license plate holder off the car....
                        Quickdraw
                        Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                          Seems if he was buying it with the intention of not driving it and keeping it as pristine as possible he would have told the dealer to leave that damned front license plate holder off the car....

It appears that there are sveral out there in similar situations. I never understood it I ran into a dealer when I bought mine that had a 007 with not many more miles who planned to make the sale of his part of his retirement portfolio. Not a Ford dealer.

Comment

The Auto recyclers will likely make the most profit om retro's

Comment

Certainly, the best color combination available. At least they got that right.

Comment

Working...
                              X