Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much for a new thermostat on my 2003 TBird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
    Or more likely he will show you some parts out of his junk pile. Just my cynical thinking.
    Yes, but how many Thunderbirds of our variety, does he see?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EllisonCal View Post

Yes, but how many Thunderbirds of our variety, does he see?
      He would only need to see one.

Comment

That also happens to this 68 year old man.

You all makin wisecracks, are you too lazy to read the post where a stuck thermostat caused a plastic water pipe/hose the explode in a 2002???
        Put the cork back in the bottle.

2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
        2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
        2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
        26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

No, not too lazy. Just not worried about it. In 50+ years of driving I have only had one thermostat go bad. The one you posted from AutoZone is made by Dorman. Their degas bottle is well known for early leaking. I would look for a different manufacturer.

Comment

Get genuine Motorcraft or Ford coolant parts or go home. I couldn't make the Dorman coolant tank last over 3500 miles before it cracked (2 times). Finally gave up and spend the bucks on a Ford unit without any problems.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. Just got back online and see I had missed some of your comments. Always appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrym3 View Post
                2014, antifreeze and thermostat in my Lincoln LS. $148.
                Hindsight is 20/20.

I had my thermostat changed because the car wouldn't heat up. Ran fine for a few years. I probably should have had all the parts replaced at the same time. I learned my lesson.

Now, she's leaking like a sieve, and, because of a number of other problems and the car's age, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to dump it. Not worth putting the money into it.

Shame. Only has 62,000 miles, and the body is dent/scratch free. One small chip on the grille, and two small "bubbling" spots by the rear license plate frame.)

But, she's 15 years old. What's next? A lot of "stuff" has gone bad with this car over the years. And. I'm not going through the "find the part" scenario for the LS and the TBird.
                2010 Explorer Limited Edition, tri color white, camel interior
                2003 TBird black/saddle
                1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL conv't turq/black
                2004 Lincoln LS 8 Sport light tundra metallic/medium stone

Comment

$550.00 sounds high. But you really should change the whole thermostat housing assembly. Our cars have a history of the plastic thermostat housing cracking at the hose connection and leaking. With your overheating issue, I cannot see that you have any other option. I replace mine in 04/18 due to the leaking issue. My mechanic replaced the thermostat with housing, connecting hose, and ford coolant. Costs was $168.00 for parts and $100.00 labor for total cost of $280.00 with tax. I thought that high but acceptable at the time.

Comment

$550 seems about right for a main dealership. My 2004 had the thermostat assembly and radiator cap replaced at a main dealership in Phoenix, AZ in January 2013 at $524.00. (the previous owner kept all of his service records in the car)

Anyway, the thermostat jammed shut on me last Wednesday, August 17, 2019 so the whole assembly was replaced once more. Local repair shop charged $291.00 for parts and labour inc. coolant.

Seemed reasonable.

Comment

A dollar three ninety eight.

Comment

A dollar three ninety eight.
                        Rockauto, about $91 including the $10 shipping and $6 tax.
                        2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                        2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
                        2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
                        26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

REPLACE "ALL" THE PLASTIC HOUSING PARTS and RUBBER HOSES

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy J View Post
                            REPLACE "ALL" THE PLASTIC HOUSING PARTS and RUBBER HOSES
                            AGREE! ...my 1st IG went BACK to the dealer because they only replaced the front of the thermostat housing; back portion cracked within days. Then a month later, it was the degas container.

Comment

Working...
                            X