What would you guys do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guys do ?

We have had discussions about selling our cars in future and what the market will be. So My 18 year old Grandson comes in the other day asking if we would consider selling him the T Bird. He now drives a Monster truck getting around 7-8 MPG and constant repairs The car has 64 K miles and is seldom driven any more. Both He and his Girlfriend seem to really like the car and he drives it any chance he gets He also has begun reading up on the Thunderbird legacy and has joined this site, so I think he may eventually become a nut like most of us. He has offered $ 15,000. for it. He is going to college but lives next door so car will be around.

Tough decision, Ron. Once you've sold it, you will not be responsible for it, although you will be there to help out. The car will be driven, and enjoyed. If he's like most of us were, at 18 he has a lot of living, and growing to do. That said, if he's responsible, my inclination would be to let it go if he can handle repair costs that will come up, and will do what's necessary for basic maintenance. Similar to carpentry, think twice, act once. Best of luck to both of you!!
    Life without passion is no life at all.
    Sean Combs

Comment

Originally posted by Rondor View Post
      We have had discussions about selling our cars in future and what the market will be. So My 18 year old Grandson comes in the other day asking if we would consider selling him the T Bird. He now drives a Monster truck getting around 7-8 MPG and constant repairs The car has 64 K miles and is seldom driven any more. Both He and his Girlfriend seem to really like the car and he drives it any chance he gets He also has begun reading up on the Thunderbird legacy and has joined this site, so I think he may eventually become a nut like most of us. He has offered $ 15,000. for it. He is going to college but lives next door so car will be around.
      $15,000 from a college student? Do you still love the car? Do you still drive the car?

Two choices IMHO.
      1.)Sell him the car and buy another. $15,000 should buy another nice one.
      2.)Help him search for another. What a great opportunity for the two of you to have a great adventure together that you'll both remember for a long time. Put the top down, and drive all over Florida looking for that special car.

Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
      2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

I am with Bill. Help him to find another Bird. That way it will be his car with no strings attached. He may even be able, with your help, to find a good one for less money. I am assuming that one of the reasons he is asking to buy your Bird is NOT because you will be financing?? If you will be financing him then I would advise you not to enter into a deal that may, in the end, cause bad feelings between the two of you. Good luck, Grandpa. Good luck.
        sigpic

Comment

Ron, from experience I would say this: don't do anything quickly or rashly. I think your approach to this decision is right on target - getting good input and advice from folks you trust and then methodically coming to a quality conclusion.

Comment

I am assuming that you will be holding the note on this transaction. If he defaults will it be a severe impact on your financial stability? Could you actually take the car back emotionally?

Did you plan for him to inherit it one day? If so consider giving it to him now if you don’t plan to use it. Lots to consider in this situation.

Comment

I think it is great that an 18 year old is interested in a Thunderbird. That is a very rare thing today. Most young people could care less about the toys that interest us and we need more of them to carry on the torch for us. I think this car means something special to this young person who is interested in what his grandfather is all about. I would let the grandson have the car one way or another. Forget buying some other car.....this is the car that the boy loves and another one will never replace his grandfathers car. This reminds me how I was promised my grandfathers car but in the end it was sold to some other person after I dreamed of having the car and I collected parts and accessories for it. I still have not gotten over the disapointment of having my grandfathers 1955 Buick.......I had to settle for a 1955 Cadillac.

Comment

the real factor here is you!!
                would you be selling your car if the grandson was not interested?.if yes then sure sell it to him If not then let him buy a different one,then in the future if you do want to sell it,your grandson still has the means to acquire it and either has two or an extra one to sell. sentimental value is always sweeter when waited for
                figured I needed something here

Comment

Sell it to him for $14000 and tell him to save the $1000 for repairs. He is your blood after all and 14k is a fair price for family.

Comment

All you guys have the same thoughts as me. Good news is no rush and his mom will get it financed and help him out some.I agree in a few years of his ownership it will be a changed car, but he did say he would not make any changes that were permanent, other than added mileage. This will all take a few weeks but I am glad to see his level of interest and my lessening interest in the car. Another big surprise yesterday was He likes wire wheels and whitewalls. Who would have THUNK it? Those big 4 WD trucks He and his twin drive make this look cheap to them.

Comment

Sounds like the time is right. Just stipulate that he will allow you to take a spin when the urge strikes.

Comment

I am glad to see his level of interest and my lessening interest in the car.
                        This part of your answer says it all IMHO!

Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                        2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                          Sell it to him for $14000 and tell him to save the $1000 for repairs. He is your blood after all and 14k is a fair price for family.
                          If he's a good grandson I honestly think you should charge him less, 15k sounds a bit high for a car with 64k miles. If you can afford it, give him the car for free with the understanding that he looks out for you in the future, he will clearly remember you for the act of kindness and will tell his grandkids his Thunderbird story!

Comment

If you're looking, there is a torch red with black/red interior, with all the accessories including a hard boot for sale here in The Villages. 50,000 miles asking 15K...

Comment

If you are ready to let it go; then let him buy the car. It will be extra special to him because you owned it...a legacy worth leaving to him. Be prepared for change though, kids today see things differently than us. It is good to see the younger generation appreciate a fine piece of automotive engineering. Good Luck whatever you decide to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X