Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
    Bill how's it look on?
    Think about that for a second Greg! I'm in Florida, the Jag top is in Florida and my car is in Ohio. We won't know how it fits until we see it next week. Talked to Stewart and he didn't know about the 21st get together. I'd like to come up for that possibly.
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Stewart thinks it wont fit on the motor without a lot of work. Not sure he tried it on his. We have renters at our house until Sunday so he hasn't been there

Comment

Sorry to be late to the party... I am one of the ones that built a modded cover. i bought a new Lincoln engine cover and a used Jag cover and melded them together as per that earlier thread. I removed the Lincoln logo and put a 50's crossed flag t-bird logo in the logo space.

The Lincoln cover is exactly the same as the T-Bird cover, except for the logo 'plate'. The space for the logo is the same on both. The jag cover is different critter altogether and I doubt that one could just bolt it straight on the engine without modification. It sat higher, and seemed to have different allowances for hoses, tubes and such.

And if I remember correctly, the jag emblem was the 'growler' (the jaguar head) and was molded right into the plastic of the cover.

Comment

how much work John...it maybe the deal breaker

Comment

[QUOTE=JohnA;n1051308]Sorry to be late to the party... I am one of the ones that built a modded cover. i bought a new Lincoln engine cover and a used Jag cover and melded them together as per that earlier thread. /QUOTE]

I wish I had built a combined cover but alas I made a cut a bit big and lost my enthusiasm. Box of parts has sat under work bench (with a new can of bondo etc.) for probably 4 years. Pay postage and it is yours.

2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

It takes lots of finicky work, and I had it finished by a friend who does plastic welding to repair car bumpers. That thread really does lay it out well.

Still very happy with it.

Comment

I just realized that the thread posted earlier on was for mounting the jag cover to our cars (and it has a great photo of the jag 'growler' logo embossed as part of the jag cover).

The thread I was thinking of is a bit longer and shows how the merging of the ford/lincoln with the jag cover can be done.

Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...o-engine-cover

If the link doesn't work, just search for "combo engine cover" and you'll find it. Mine is near the very end of the thread, as I was a follower on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                  how much work John...it maybe the deal breaker
                  so should I just return?

Comment

Soooo.... After perusing the aforementioned 'other thread' referenced above... (by JohnA) It appears that the Jag cover will NOT fit without drastic modification?? Somehow I got the impression that the engines were same/same, with possible 'slight' modifications. How to cover the Jag logo being the hard part. So, what is the straight up scoop on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mujiir View Post
                      Soooo.... After perusing the aforementioned 'other thread' referenced above... (by JohnA) It appears that the Jag cover will NOT fit without drastic modification?? Somehow I got the impression that the engines were same/same, with possible 'slight' modifications. How to cover the Jag logo being the hard part. So, what is the straight up scoop on this?
                      Dave I inquired to a member by PM asking for his thoughts as I thought I remembered him doing this:
                      Bill, nothing is required to SET THE JAGUAR COVER ON A TBIRD ENGINE. I simply removed the Tbird engine cover and set the Jaguar part in its place. All that's required is unscrewing the oil fill tube cover and slipping the Jaguar cover over it (replace the cap of course).The Jaguar engine cover has four retaining bolts and brackets, but I chose not to worry with them. I mean, where's the engine cover going to go when the hood is closed. The Jaguar mounting brackets serve no purpose to me and would just be in the way. I left the Tbird mounting brackets in place because I'm lazy - maybe some day... Oh, and no re-plumbing is required. Slots in the cover and tubes on the Tbird engine do not line up but they don't block anything either. Good luck!

Hopefully will see Greg Nelson this week and I know his Jag engine cover has been delivered. Hopefully by the end of the week there will be more info on the subject.

Comment

Greg has had his cover delivered to his Mechanic in charge Stewart Weir so hopefully he'll bring it and we can figure it out.

Comment

Awesome input... I await your findings.

Comment

[QUOTE=wcoates;n1051469]Greg has had his cover delivered to his Mechanic in charge Stewart Weir so hopefully he'll bring it and we can figure it out.
                            [/QUO Funny Stewart hasn't tried it on his car. The Crystal River trip is being moved back a week. Not sure we want to go twice. Oh Bill I also got the Marsh print for $30

Comment

Originally posted by Mujiir View Post
                              Awesome input... I await your findings.
                              Dave when three great T-Bird minds get together ahh err ok Stewart Weir's great T-Bird mind and Me and Greg Nelson along for the ride, these are the conclusions that we made:

1.) if you have the K & N CAI the cover will fit fine. Mounting holes won't match up but the oil filler opening/cap lines up and will hold the cover in place.
                              2.) if you have not replaced the OEM items with the K & N then you will have to make some minor modifications. (meaning cutting away a bit of plastic.)

We tried the cover on Stewart's car with K & N and Greg's without to come to these conclusions.

There currently is one on the Facebook parts site listed for $300. Ouch!
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-2...frcectupt=true

Many Lincoln choices that just need a logo change. They all seem to be in the $85 range.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-2...kAAOSwYGFUwXEe

This Jag cover in excellent (but dusty) condition is $60 to your door. Makes for an easy decision IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/jaguar-XJ8-...AAOSwDYxbvrF F

IMG_0322.JPG
                              Last edited by wcoates; Mar 24, 2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Awesome input guys! Thanks! My wife and I were just leveled with pneumonia over the last couple weeks. My poor wife spent two days in the hospital over it, and I am still feeling to weak to do much of anything. BLAH!! Thanks for the follow up posts with pictures. It has given me something to think about other than being so sick and wasted. I will be back into it as soon as I can. Yes, all you TBN guys rock!

Comment

Working...
                                X