Power Steering Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Saga

Last year I found the power steering not helpful at low speed. Found error code C1925 indicating FEM module defect.
    Took Tbird to dealer for repair. Big mistake.

Dealer decided that it needed the VAPS actuator replaced first before they would suspect the FEM module. They also claimed PS pump bad.
    Replaced power steering actuator, cost $450. This operation called for a bunch of new O-rings and Teflon tape and purging of the PS system.

A few weeks ago I drove 4 miles, parked for 2 hours and then started engine. As I turned wheel the engine made shuddering sounds. No noise unless turning.
    Drove 4 miles back home. And noticed red fluid dripping on drivers side engine. Two drips per second. I was worried about transmission lines as well.
    Shuddering probably caused by oil on accessory belt.

When I got home, PS worked OK and engine shudder went away. Took car to dealer for repair.

Dealer said PS pump OK but PS pump pressure switch ($78) is leaking and repair would cost $500 or more.
    Talked to service guy and he said the AC compressor needed to be moved in order to do the repair.
    Looked up service info on replacing pressure switch and removing AC compressor is not mentioned.
    Looked up VAPS actuator replacement and AC compressor removal is mentioned.

I have to conclude that the VAPS repair done last year was done without replacing o rings and not using Teflon tape.
    I have no choice but to pay for repairs that I did not need twice.
    HKS

P.S. The VAPS actuator is controlled by FEM and The PS pressure switch is wired to the PCU/ECU.

An independent repair shop would have been a better choice. I had no choice due to other circumstances.
    Last edited by HKS; Apr 13, 2019, 09:22 AM.
    2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
    2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
    2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
    26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Slowly but surely we all come to realize that using the dealer is a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
      Slowly but surely we all come to realize that using the dealer is a big mistake.

Comment

that was my experience with the dealer also. replaced tranny. Problem not solved! Torn out and tore down rebuilt tranny , Problem not solved ! At the end it was diagnosed as the PCM. Of course the dealer couldn't fix that. (Jim Dube, I'll bet you can identify with that.)

I'm also of the find a good independent mechanic mode.
        Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
        2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Speaking from experience, I had a similar problem on my 02. What started as a couple drops of power steering fluid on the garage floor increased to a puddle. Upon closer inspection, I found the power steering pressure switch to be leaking. The switch replacement on eBay was $30 and from Auto Zone, $32. AutoZone purchase made. The switch is in a crowded space, hard to get at but with some ingenuity using a deep well socket and a few extensions, the part was removed and replaced. Problem solved. I don’t want to do it again but if needed, I would drain the p/s reservoir, doing so would reduce the oily mess when removing the switch. That lesson learned quick.
          Pensacola, FL
          02 Whisper White

Comment

Originally posted by wcoates View Post
            ... (Jim Dube, I'll bet you can identify with that.) I'm also of the find a good independent mechanic mode.
            I can, Bill. Once my current IG is out of extended warranty, all work will be done by an independent shop we have used close to us...it has been family owned since 1938 - very reliable, honest, dependable shop (did I mention they are HONEST!).

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

I can, Bill. Once my current IG is out of extended warranty, all work will be done by an independent shop we have used close to us...it has been family owned since 1938 - very reliable, honest, dependable shop (did I mention they are HONEST!).
              The only way to fly. One of my top reasons for never buying the extended warranty on a new vehicle. I do think that they are the way to go when buying used.

Comment

The one time I took my bird to the ford dealer I knew I was in trouble when the mechanic came out to ask me if I had a shop manual! I was fortunate to locate a local independent shop with a factory trained jaguar mechanic who is very knowledgeable on these cars and reliable. Yes I did buy the shop manuals on eBay and keep them in the trunk!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenM View Post
                  Speaking from experience, I had a similar problem on my 02. What started as a couple drops of power steering fluid on the garage floor increased to a puddle. Upon closer inspection, I found the power steering pressure switch to be leaking. The switch replacement on eBay was $30 and from Auto Zone, $32. AutoZone purchase made. The switch is in a crowded space, hard to get at but with some ingenuity using a deep well socket and a few extensions, the part was removed and replaced. Problem solved. I don’t want to do it again but if needed, I would drain the p/s reservoir, doing so would reduce the oily mess when removing the switch. That lesson learned quick.
                  Is the psp switch located on the pump housing?
                  Are the switches located in same location on all years? Any pictures?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MISTYEYED829 View Post

Is the psp switch located on the pump housing?
                    Are the switches located in same location on all years? Any pictures?
                    The psp switch is located on the rear of the pump. Stuck among the hard tubes of the pump supply and return. It us not in a user friendly place! After disconnecting the electrical plug from the back of the switch (typical squeeze to unlock plastic tab) you will be able to place a deep well socket (the size ...I can’t recall..but if you purchase a new switch, the size is evident). I used a series of socket wrench extension so the action of the socket wrench would not hit or interfere with other engine components...about 12-16 inches in length. You do get exercise when replacing the switch...over the fender, under the car, over the fender, under the car...is that a Yoga thing?

Either have a catch pan or drain the pump reservoir...both wouldn’t hurt...before removing faulty switch. Once the switch is broke free of the pump, you might be able to use fingers to unscrew the remaining threads. Now reverse everything...finger tighten the new switch, it should have an “O” ring seal, snug with socket and extension setup, fill the reservoir with power steering fluid, if I recall manual shows ATF as required replacement fluid, use correct type.

A picture would be tough tough to get, to show clarity. Don’t know about other year birds, mine is 02.

Good luck!
                    Pensacola, FL
                    02 Whisper White

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL View Post
                      The one time I took my bird to the ford dealer I knew I was in trouble when the mechanic came out to ask me if I had a shop manual! I was fortunate to locate a local independent shop with a factory trained jaguar mechanic who is very knowledgeable on these cars and reliable. Yes I did buy the shop manuals on eBay and keep them in the trunk!
                      Nice of him to ask for the manual instead of beginning the butchering operation. Good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL View Post
                        The one time I took my bird to the ford dealer I knew I was in trouble when the mechanic came out to ask me if I had a shop manual! ...
                        Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't the dealership already have an electronic version of the shop manual in the shop's computers and accessible for their mechanics?

Comment

I have had my power steering system flushed twice in 150,000 miles and have never had a problem. Preventive Maintenance. I believe this stopes many future problems.
                          They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                          IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                          Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird View Post
                            I have had my power steering system flushed twice in 150,000 miles and have never had a problem. Preventive Maintenance. I believe this stopes many future problems.
                            What do you do to prevent a FEM from going bad?
                            02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                            02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                            03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                            03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                            04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                            04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                            04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                            04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                            05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                            05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                            05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                            - 48&DC

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird View Post
                              What was the cost of just flushing the PS.

Comment

Working...
                              X