No announcement yet.

transponder key with remote integrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: I got my two new keys in the mail today,getting them cut was a PITA big stores will not cut keys unless you buy them there and smaller places don't want to either because they can not gaurentee the cut will work. if its their key the just get another one. I had to assure locksmith I would not hold them responsible for it then it did. Cost 15 bucks per key and yay both cuts worked so I tried to program from memoryI get in car close door and do not touch any electronic including brake pedal put one old key in turned to on and back to off ,took old key out put second old key in did same thing then took second key out and did same with third new key .Took it out tried the new key and it worked!!!! so I put the new working key aside and did the procedure again with the 4TH key and it worked as well and none of the first three lost programming so now I have 4 working keys.was also able to program the 2 fobs on the keys and the one separate fob I still had. Total cost for 2 new working keys with fobs about $65
    the stores like ACE Lowes ect... or locksmiths charge about $75 for 1 without a fob ace has one with fob for $150 including programming the chip.and here they said they needed the car. the locksmith I used to cut said they duplicated the key but still prefered the car there.

Fredrik: I would check with your local locksmiths on getting another Key,the headache of losing all keys is much more painful
    Last edited by hippy_mailman; Dec 2, 2019, 11:22 PM.
    figured I needed something here

Comment

Originally posted by hippy_mailman View Post
      UPDATE: I got my two new keys in the mail today,getting them cut was a PITA big stores will not cut keys unless you buy them there and smaller places don't want to either because they can not gaurentee the cut will work. if its their key the just get another one. I had to assure locksmith I would not hold them responsible for it then it did. Cost 15 bucks per key and yay both cuts worked so I tried to program from memoryI get in car close door and do not touch any electronic including brake pedal put one old key in turned to on and back to off ,took old key out put second old key in did same thing then took second key out and did same with third new key .Took it out tried the new key and it worked!!!! so I put the new working key aside and did the procedure again with the 4TH key and it worked as well and none of the first three lost programming so now I have 4 working keys.was also able to program the 2 fobs on the keys and the one separate fob I still had. Total cost for 2 new working keys with fobs about $65
      the stores like ACE Lowes ect... or locksmiths charge about $75 for 1 without a fob ace has one with fob for $150 including programming the chip.and here they said they needed the car. the locksmith I used to cut said they duplicated the key but still prefered the car there.

Fredrik: I would check with your local locksmiths on getting another Key,the headache of losing all keys is much more painful
      So ACE being able to make an exact duplicate copy is false. They just make/grind a mechanical copy just like FORD would.
      You still need 2 working keys to program the 3rd one ACE cut for you.

Fredrik has only one key. Fredrik is SOL (I will have to explain that to him in a private message).
      Each Ford key has a unique serial number in the chip. No two alike. The two or more key serial numbers need to be transferred to the instrument cluster memory (via RF) during the copy procedure listed in the owners manual.
      HKS
      Last edited by HKS; Dec 3, 2019, 05:22 AM.
      2002 Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
      2015 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0T 240HP, 270FP Torque
      http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...8&username=hks

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

So ACE being able to make an exact duplicate copy is false. They just make/grind a mechanical copy just like FORD would.
        You still need 2 working keys to program the 3rd one ACE cut for you.

Fredrik has only one key. Fredrik is SOL (I will have to explain that to him in a private message).
        Each Ford key has a unique serial number in the chip. No two alike. The two or more key serial numbers need to be transferred to the instrument cluster memory (via RF) during the copy procedure listed in the owners manual.
        HKS
        Ace does program the key you do not need two keys. what I do not know is if they exact duplicate it or if they program it the way ford does. takes 20 mins
        the locksmith I used to cut the key said they do DUPLICATE the key if you buy it from them.
        through research and talking to locksmiths you may find one that MIGHT duplicate a key sent to them.
        when I am back near there I will drop in and thank them for helping me and ask about the unusual situation with Ferdrik Lowes did not need car just the one key 72 bucks also I wonder if the ford dealer in Sweden could do it
        Last edited by hippy_mailman; Dec 3, 2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Ace does program the key you do not need two keys. what I do not know is if they exact duplicate it or if they program it the way ford does. takes 20 mins
          the locksmith I used to cut the key said they do DUPLICATE the key if you buy it from them.
          through research and talking to locksmiths you may find one that MIGHT duplicate a key sent to them.
          when I am back near there I will drop in and thank them for helping me and ask about the unusual situation with Ferdrik Lowes did not need car just the one key 72 bucks also I wonder if the ford dealer in Sweden could do it
          I have trouble believing what ACE does with keys. I already tried ACE and they gave up. They can cut the key. If you call that duplication then OK.
          Ford keys already come with an assigned code in the key and there can be no duplicates.
          We need someone that has an ACE made duplicate key to speak up. It would be a key that does not require in car programming.

Comment

UPDATE: I tried to program from memoryI get in car close door and do not touch any electronic including brake pedal put one old key in turned to on and back to off ,took old key out put second old key in did same thing then took second key out and did same with third new key .Took it out tried the new key and it worked!!!! so I put the new working key aside and did the procedure again with the 4TH key and it worked as well and none of the first three lost programming
            Did you actually turn on the car, or just move the key to the on position without engaging the starter? Thanks for sharing your information with us, Keith!
            Life without passion is no life at all.
            Sean Combs

Comment

Originally posted by merlot4 View Post

Did you actually turn on the car, or just move the key to the on position without engaging the starter? Thanks for sharing your information with us, Keith!
              did NOT engage starter turned until all the dash lights came on then back to off

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
                Ok, I have read this key post. I have a 02 bird with two key sets. Each set has a key and remote. Where do I find a single key with remote so I can have 3 keys. Thanks in advance.
                Dick,
                I just got & programmed a 3rd key for my '05. I found the easiest way was to go to the Ford dealership's parts dept and have them cut, (not program) me a new key; cost was $25 (list is about $35). The parts guy asked if I wanted a key to crank the car or just to unlock it; I suspect the unlock keys, (no chip?) may be cheaper, but not worth much.

The hardest part of programming a new key is finding the directions in the owner's manual. '05 manual: remote P-69 & key P-73. Not sure where (if at all) it's listed in the index, but it's after the "Remote Entry" section.

Manual says you can program up to 4 keys

For a 3rd remote, I found a 3 button (no trunk) here at home (no idea what it was from) and programmed it and it works fine.

I do like the keys w/remote built in I have those for my F-150 (not flip keys). Wife's '17 Escape has the flip keys & push button start/run; I much prefer the key type ignition.
                Last edited by DrtiBird; Dec 3, 2019, 04:19 PM.
                Cruise On,
                Ron
                '05 T-Bird Premium Roadster (Cashmere/Cashmere)
                '10 Shelby GT500 - Red w/White Stripe App Pkg

Comment

this I do know only concern is its an aftermarket key/fob and I don't always trust they are what they say they are
                  Keith,
                  If you order from Amazon they guarantee the sale regardless of who the provider is
                  Cruise On,
                  Ron
                  '05 T-Bird Premium Roadster (Cashmere/Cashmere)
                  '10 Shelby GT500 - Red w/White Stripe App Pkg

Comment

See post #8

Amazon says it does not fit my 2002 Thunderbird. So, it may be a 2003-5 thingy.
                    amazon claims this will fit a 2002----> https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...rd+Thunderbird dang that's long

Comment

amazon claims this will fit a 2002----> https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...rd+Thunderbird dang that's long
                      Clicked on it and Amazon says it will not fit my 2002. Amazon knows I have a 2002 bird. Message comes up in red.

Comment

Originally posted by DrtiBird View Post

Dick,
                        I just got & programmed a 3rd key for my '05. I found the easiest way was to go to the Ford dealership's parts dept and have them cut, (not program) me a new key; cost was $25 (list is about $35). The parts guy asked if I wanted a key to crank the car or just to unlock it; I suspect the unlock keys, (no chip?) may be cheaper, but not worth much.

The hardest part of programming a new key is finding the directions in the owner's manual. '05 manual: remote P-69 & key P-73. Not sure where (if at all) it's listed in the index, but it's after the "Remote Entry" section.

Manual says you can program up to 4 keys

For a 3rd remote, I found a 3 button (no trunk) here at home (no idea what it was from) and programmed it and it works fine.

I do like the keys w/remote built in I have those for my F-150 (not flip keys). Wife's '17 Escape has the flip keys & push button start/run; I much prefer the key type ignition.
                        Ron,
                        I also would like one of the keys with built in FOB. But the separate FOB I got from Amazon have mushy buttons. I don't think they will last.
                        If the ones in the key are as bad then I would prefer the separate FOB.
                        Food for thought.
                        Hermann

Comment

Clicked on it and Amazon says it will not fit my 2002. Amazon knows I have a 2002 bird. Message comes up in red.
                          that is bizarre as I listed as 2002 and in green it says it does fit message comes up in green?? go figure and sorry

Comment

For all those concerned. I tried the combo Key with built in FOB. It would not work on a 2002. It Was returned to Vendor for full refund even though they said it would work. This was about 4 years ago and I got further validation from one of guys in the Parts Department who had a 2002 T Bird at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by carntz View Post
                              For all those concerned. I tried the combo Key with built in FOB. It would not work on a 2002. It Was returned to Vendor for full refund even though they said it would work. This was about 4 years ago and I got further validation from one of guys in the Parts Department who had a 2002 T Bird at the time.
                              ok I went back to locksmith and asked a few questions got some answers
                              1 the keys for 2002 and different than those of 2003-2005 and combination keys are only available for 2003-2005 you can still get transponder keys for 2002
                              2 some locksmiths CAN duplicate either of them so all you need is a key but they are not always willing to do so without car(even though its not needed) the locksmith here will do it but no guarantees(basically covering their arse)
                              3 most locksmiths and chain stores can cut a blank from amazon ect... but refuse to to so because they are not responsible for bad cuts I had to assure them I would not try and get my 15 bucks back if cut did not work

Comment

ok I went back to locksmith and asked a few questions got some answers
                                1 the keys for 2002 and different than those of 2003-2005 and combination keys are only available for 2003-2005 you can still get transponder keys for 2002
                                2 some locksmiths CAN duplicate either of them so all you need is a key but they are not always willing to do so without car(even though its not needed) the locksmith here will do it but no guarantees(basically covering their arse)
                                3 most locksmiths and chain stores can cut a blank from amazon ect... but refuse to to so because they are not responsible for bad cuts I had to assure them I would not try and get my 15 bucks back if cut did not work
                                My guess,
                                There are a set of serial numbers imbedded in 2002 keys, and the 2003-5 keys may have one more digit/number than the 2002. This was probably done on purpose by Ford.
                                An no one is going to have a key with a programmable chip imbedded. The idea that ACE can program a chip in the key is ridiculous. Most people working at an ACE store are usually non skilled and temporary employees an hand out wrong info at times.
                                They can cut the key and then go out to your car and program it for you as explained in your owners manual.
                                Last edited by HKS; Today, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X