No announcement yet.

Throwback Thursdays - A Trip Down TBN Memory Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my favorites, too, Paul.. Also the one he took at the seaside, Laurie in the car looking over the beach at the sea. A morning shot. He was good at using lighting to create a mood.
    Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

• Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
      Nice journaling, Dot. Sure beats trying to remember how these things played out so many years ago.

Thank goodness we were able to have Pappasitos weekend this year. Otherwise it would have been the first year since 2002 we didn't have a TBN event. It's looking like it may be the only thing we get in during 2020. Sure hope things turn around for next year.

Yes, Bill, we still have our certificate like the one you posted.
      I got your back. 2 events this year.
      -Drew
      -'04 VMG T-bird (O(####)O)
      -'13 BLUE JEEP Patriot
      -'14 Maroon FORD Taurus limited

Comment

• I received this red apron at an event over a decade ago. One other person got a black one. I've removed the name of the event in the photo, but I think there are several folks that will be able to answer these questions.

1) What was the name of the event?

2) What was the location of the event?

3) Who was the person that received the black apron?

4) Why was an apron an appropriate gift for this event?

5) Who presented these aprons to us?

6) Name some of the activities of this event.

20200812_235853 (4).jpg
        21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

• 3. DavidA
          Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
          2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

• 1. What event was this picture taken at? Ozark Thunder, 2007

2. Where and when was the event held? Mt. Magazine (Paris),AK

3) Who was the person that received the black apron? Gary Himes

4) Why was an apron an appropriate gift for this event? Both Gary and Paul were the cooks at the cookout

5) Who presented these aprons to us? Jeannie

6) Name some of the activities of this event. Train Ride, Drive to Van Buren, and flying toy helicopters in Hotel lobby.

Last edited by DavidA; Aug 13, 2020, 07:16 AM.
            Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidA View Post
              1. What event was this picture taken at? Ozark Thunder, 2007

2. Where and when was the event held? Mt. Magazine (Paris),AK

3) Who was the person that received the black apron? Gary Himes

4) Why was an apron an appropriate gift for this event? Both Gary and Paul were the cooks at the cookout

5) Who presented these aprons to us? Jeannie

6) Name some of the activities of this event. Train Ride, Drive to Van Buren, and flying toy helicopters in Hotel lobby.
              Well thanks for clearing this one up. Paul you did not stump the band on this one.
              02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
              02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
              03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
              03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
              04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
              04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
              04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
              04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
              05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
              05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
              05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
              - 48&DC

Comment

• Mount Magazine? That’s a lot of recycling!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4LOWBIRDS+7 View Post

Well thanks for clearing this one up. Paul you did not stump the band on this one.
                  You're right, Ron. David was all over this one with correct answers. Ozark Thunder occurred at Mt. Magazine State Park in September 2007. What Gary and I thought would be a smaller, more regional gathering turned into a fairly large gathering pretty quickly.

The lodge and cabins we stayed in were very new at the time and extremely nice. The view from our rooms was arguably one of the best of any TBN event and the weather turned out to be perfect for a Tbird gathering.

Because we anticipated a smaller crowd and the remote location made going to restaurants difficult we decided to have one evening meal catered by a great BBQ place from a town about 30 miles away and the hosts would do a cookout the other night. Little did we know that we would be doing burgers, hot dogs, sides and dessert for this hungry crew in the fireplace of the park pavillion:

1) 2K2BIRD / Ms2K2BIRD - Paul & Rosetta - OK - 2002 Torch Red - PAID
                  2) 02TBIRD - Gary & B.J. - AR - 2002 Evening Black - PAID
                  3) mtnski - Ed & Diana - MO - 2002 Evening Black - PAID
                  4) Lonestar - Bill & Brenda - TX - 2005 Cashmere - PAID
                  5) Sixpac / Lady SixPac - Charlie & Margaret - MS - 2004 Monterey Mist (PCR) - PAID
                  6) trpar - Ted - NE - 2003 Torch Red - PAID
                  7) Black Bird - Lou & Toni - MO - 2003 Evening Black - PAID
                  8) Roger Benischek - Roger & Bonnie - LA - 2004 Merlot - PAID
                  9) MObird - Karen & Jim - MO - 2004 Monterey Mist (PCR) - PAID
                  10) redbirdsal - Sally - TX - 2002 Torch Red
                  11) Borla Babe - Julie - GA - 2002 Thunderbird Blue - PAID
                  12) crmpuf - Gary & Donna - TX - 2005 - Evening Black - PAID
                  13) Johnny Tbird - Johnny & Kathy - TX - 2005 Cashmere - PAID
                  14) DavidA / LuvHisBird - David & Jeannie - TN - 2002 Evening Black - PAID
                  15) MT & Dorothy Lancaster - MO - 2003 Whisper White - PAID
                  16) Judy G. & Lillian W. - MO - 2005 Platinum Silver - PAID
                  17) Nolan & Barbra Robersen - MO - 2003 Whisper White - PAID
                  18) Garry & Arlene Johnson - MO - 2004 Merlot - PAID
                  19) Mark501 - Mark & Laurie - AR - 2002 Whisper White - PAID
                  20) S.A. Shadow - Don & Mary Ellen - TX - 2003 Mountain Shadow Gray - PAID
                  21) LABIRD - Chuck & Nancy - LA - 2004 Torch Red - PAID
                  22) rnosdyke - Robert & Donna - MO - 2005 Evening Black - PAID
                  23) SWEETBIRD - Tino & Sylvia - OK - 2003 Torch Red - PAID
                  24) Chriscrete - Dennis & Judy - IA - 2002 Thunderbird Blue - PAID
                  25) TbirdCowboy - Jim & Pat - IA - 2004 Torch Red - PAID
                  26) Swalker - Stan - TN - 2003 Whisper White - PAID
                  27) Karyl - Karyl & Jim - NC - 2007 Silver Dodge Pleasure-Way (It's got a Benz diesel!) - PAID
                  28) Vickie - TN - 2005 Magnesium Dodge Magnum(It's got a HEMI!) - PAID
                  29) wtxbird - Scott - TX - 2002 Evening Black - PAID

In the end it was worth all the effort and we were surprised by Jeannie with the cool aprons. Besides the train ride there was shopping in Van Buren and wine tasting at a local winery.

This was the fourth of 4 fairly large events that year. Earlier we had Thunder Blues in MS, Thunder and Good Vibrations in NC and Motown Thunder in MI. Good times for sure.
                  Last edited by 2K2BIRD; Aug 13, 2020, 11:44 AM.
                  21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

• Paul that is an amazing group. Navigator and I have been going to events for 7-8 years now and have met 99% of the folks of the last 4-5 year's events This event listed 29 names and we only have met 7. Interesting how the group changes over time and also the number that are there each and every event since the beginning of time (OR Beginning of TBN !). Interesting to read of these events going on before a T-Bird was just an inkling in the Navigator's eye!

Thanks and please continue!
                    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

• Originally posted by wcoates View Post
                      Paul that is an amazing group. Navigator and I have been going to events for 7-8 years now and have met 99% of the folks of the last 4-5 year's events This event listed 29 names and we only have met 7. Interesting how the group changes over time and also the number that are there each and every event since the beginning of time (OR Beginning of TBN !). Interesting to read of these events going on before a T-Bird was just an inkling in the Navigator's eye!

I second that, and I only know twelve car loads.
                      02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                      02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                      03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                      03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                      04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                      04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                      04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                      04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                      05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                      05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                      05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                      - 48&DC

Comment

• Originally posted by wcoates View Post
                        Paul that is an amazing group. Navigator and I have been going to events for 7-8 years now and have met 99% of the folks of the last 4-5 year's events This event listed 29 names and we only have met 7. Interesting how the group changes over time and also the number that are there each and every event since the beginning of time (OR Beginning of TBN !). Interesting to read of these events going on before a T-Bird was just an inkling in the Navigator's eye!

Yes, Bill, the group has changed over time. Through all the twists and turns we've been lucky to meet some of the nicest folks we could ever want to to know. Of that list of 29 cars at least 6 of the owners/co-owners have gone to the Thunderbird nest in the great beyond. At least that many have moved on from their retros. You'll note that Miss Vickie hadn't even bought her LIB bird by then. Nor had Raymond come along at that point. Karyl and Jim had both owned retrobirds, but they ended up liking the motorhome life better. We were just happy that they still wanted to hang with the group. I can't remember where Bill Green that year, but he was likely on his annual walk with his local hiking club members. You'll notice that Roger hadn't changed his handle to Vintage Merlot by that time.

One of the fun stories that came out of the event, that still comes up to this day at events took place when we were on the narrow gauge train ride. I think this might have been Vickie's first event or second at the most. At some point during the ride she was trying to get Rosetta's attention to tell her something, but Rosetta wasn't responding. She told Jeannie, I don't think she likes me, because she is ignoring me. Jeannie said, who doesn't like you? Vickie says Paul's wife, Loretta! Jeannie told her that if she would call Rosetta by her name then she'd probably be more likely to respond! It was much funnier at the time than my retelling it, but we still laugh about it every time when we get together.

We've been lucky along the way to have new friends come along, such as you and the Navigator & Ron and Liz. You didn't replace those that dropped out or passed on, you just made the group that much bigger and better.

Here's the picture of the apron with the full logo:

20200812_235853 (2).jpg

Comment

• That Vickie/Loretta name calling was just hilarious. I remember laughing my so much my stomach hurt. One other Vickie point ... that was our Magnum she drove. I think we had a lot of stuff to bring there.
                          Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

• Looked at those names and noticed how many I knew that aren't on here now . We didn't go but I know 22 plus spouses of those on that list. Probably have met some of the others but not familiar with their names.
                            Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

• Paul that was the year that I rode the mule to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I had to make reservations a year ahead, so could not change to make the event. It always sounded like a great event, sorry I missed it, but waking up in the bottom of the Grand Canyon on my 67th birthday was a great Birthday gift.
                              Birds of the 48
                              15AGAIN has been in 48 States and 9 Canadian Provinces. Travelled many miles with great friends-- "Priceless"

Comment

• One thing that has made TBN events different (and better as far as I'm concerned) from most of the national Thunderbird clubs is that they don't revolve around a judged car show. That's not to say that we haven't a few car shows during events over the years. For the most part, these have been firmly tongue in cheek activities that were only a small part of the fun of the event. This week's throwback item is an award plaque from one of those "car shows" back in the day. For those of you that have seen the inside of my trunk lid, you know I put a bit of work into the trunk area of our car, so I was very happy to receive this award. I've removed the event name and logo from the picture to see who can answer these questions:

1. What event?

2. What was the specific location of the "car show" during the event?

3. Who made the award plaques for the event?

4. Anyone else have another car show award from this particular event?

20200816_091556 (3).jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X