• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home alot now with my projects

Alitle bit up hill right now....
    my Anna lost her job
    i only work 60%
    My bird must pass the inspection airbag led flashig and the fem is broken so no T-birding this summer
    my boat project stopped because after paint it Two times with expensive paint it bubbles all over
    so i gave upp and bought a verry cheep veteran motorcycle
    will rebuild it to a flat-track bike
    and Anna are invited to a job-interview this tuesday

this is how i want it to look when im finish
    04AA5F3B-FF6A-4D9C-8C01-A47E6912699F.jpeg
    I Started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

Wish i new whats wrong with this FEM
    6C706955-604B-46DD-B7F6-BCD7F604910C.jpeg

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Fredrik. Brighter days will be ahead. Our daughter has also lost her work due to the coronavirus shutdown here in the US. Millions are out of work and many businesses are closed so it’s not easy to find new work. One day at a time, my friend. Best of luck to your family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik73 View Post
        Wish i new whats wrong with this FEM
        6C706955-604B-46DD-B7F6-BCD7F604910C.jpeg
        Fredrik,

See those spring like fingers. They are holding the MOSFET power transistors to the aluminum FEM frame.
        What does not work? I can tell you which one is bad for the Instrument lights and the one that causes hard steering. I can look the others up also, like lights etc.
        MOSFETS cost $2.00 labor costs much more unless you do it yourself.

I can tell you how to test for bad MOSFET transistors.
        Also, if I were doing the repair, I would not unsolder the 3 pin MOSFETs. I would cut them off and then solder the new ones leads to the existing old ones cut off leads. Less chance of damage to the circuit board. Getting the spring like clamps off is another story. You need to make a tool. Let me know if you are interested.
        I hope your wife gets the job also. Take care.
        Hermann

P.S. Is is easier to just replace the MOSFETs and bypass testing. They are easier to test after they are removed. Also there and P and N type MOSFETS.
        Last edited by HKS; May 21, 2020, 01:09 PM.
        2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
        2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
        2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
        26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Thank you Hermann
          that is good information i cant find anything on internet about the parts in the FEM.
          it would be nice to get help with this, i cant pass The inspection.
          i read on the Home page you sent me long time ago
          that it must be the FEM.
          the things that not work is:
          all electrecy in driver door (trunk buttom, window and says that door is open)
          cab motor
          wipers
          front light low beam
          turninglights rear (front works)
          and motor backfires

do you Know wich contact and pins that gives main power to the Fem? And is it 12v in to the fem?
          /Fredrik

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
            Sorry to hear about your troubles, Fredrik. Brighter days will be ahead. Our daughter has also lost her work due to the coronavirus shutdown here in the US. Millions are out of work and many businesses are closed so it’s not easy to find new work. One day at a time, my friend. Best of luck to your family.
            Gene thank you i hope you doughter find a nice job soon, Anna was at the interviev today
            but they gave no answer she will know at the end of this week
            its nice to have my TBN friends

Comment

Thanks, Fredrik. Hard to even hold an in person interview here. I called the doctor today and he’s not seeing people in the office. All appointments are via internet.

Comment

I feel you my friend, since the lockdown seems everything that COULD go wrong did...15 years in the house we built and I think all the systems have reached the end of their useful life:

A $700 septic tank repair, a $300 air conditioning repair, a roof leak.then lightning hit the house and did about $3,500 worth of damage (a direct hit which over-whelmed our surge suppressor) of which insurance will cover about $2,000. This doesn't count the EMP from the strike wiping out my jet ski that will require a $1,200 computer and perhaps a $750 throttle body.

Damn computers, my 20 year old Sea Ray boat with points and a carburetor is just fine - go figure... Daughter works for big pharma so, she's good and might even get a bonus - you have to count your blessings... Now I find out I need cataract eye surgery but that will be delayed for a good while due to the backlog from the virus... Oh well, I'm still on the right side of the dirt..

Comment

Where are the "spring like" fingers ? Inside the red square shown ? I was a journeyman avionics tech and would love to know where the various MOSFETs are located if you could call them out. I've replaced gobs of them on aircraft circuit cards without issue but I was certified in "micro-miniature soldering" so I knew how not to damage the printed circuits. FEM_Mosfet.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dreano View Post
                    Where are the "spring like" fingers ? Inside the red square shown ? I was a journeyman avionics tech and would love to know where the various MOSFETs are located if you could call them out. I've replaced gobs of them on aircraft circuit cards without issue but I was certified in "micro-miniature soldering" so I knew how not to damage the printed circuits. FEM_Mosfet.jpg
                    Frank,
                    The item in the red zone are a high power connectors. Main power pins (3=12V and 4=Ground) (30amp fuse Battery junction box (BJB) fuse F4.31). Power windows, pins 1 and 2.
                    The Black spring like fingers, clamping the power transistors to the cast aluminum FEM chassis, are on the right side of your picture. What is the heat sink looking thing on the left side?
                    If it is a heat sink then this is not a picture of a 2002 FEM.

P.S. I looked at the sacrificial FEM I have laying around, and it looks the left side is showing the connector pins.
                    Last edited by HKS; May 27, 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik73 View Post
                      Thank you Hermann
                      that is good information i cant find anything on internet about the parts in the FEM.
                      it would be nice to get help with this, i cant pass The inspection.
                      i read on the Home page you sent me long time ago
                      that it must be the FEM.
                      the things that not work is:
                      all electrecy in driver door (trunk buttom, window and says that door is open)
                      cab motor
                      wipers
                      front light low beam
                      turninglights rear (front works)
                      and motor backfires

do you Know wich contact and pins that gives main power to the Fem? And is it 12v in to the fem?
                      /Fredrik

Fredrik,
                      Check the 30 amp fuse that goes to the FEM. Battery junction box (BJB) fuse F4.31
                      Hermann
                      P.S. If you need a picture with pin numbers of FEM power connector C201g, let me know.
                      Last edited by HKS; May 27, 2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

Frank,
                        The item in the red zone are a high power connectors. Main power pins (3=12V and 4=Ground) (30amp fuse Battery junction box (BJB) fuse F4.31). Power windows, pins 1 and 2.
                        The Black spring like fingers, clamping the power transistors to the cast aluminum FEM chassis, are on the right side of your picture. What is the heat sink looking thing on the left side?
                        If it is a heat sink then this is not a picture of a 2002 FEM.

P.S. I looked at the sacrificial FEM I have laying around, and it looks the left side is showing the connector pins.
                        Thanks -- nice to know. And its good someone of us "mere mortals" has delved into this "black box"...it sucks that there are only a few $$$ repair places for it and basically none for the instrument cluster...

Comment

Thanks -- nice to know. And its good someone of us "mere mortals" has delved into this "black box"...it sucks that there are only a few $$$ repair places for it and basically none for the instrument cluster...
                          Last time I checked the same guy that repairs FEM REM also did the instrument panel. But, as I remember (or not), he wanted the dealer to pull the instrument panel.
                          HKS
                          P.S. I have pictures of the 4 pin power connector. Let me know if interested.
                          I could have fixed my own FEM module last time, but the guy that did it for $208.00 would suspect and not fix it if you or I attempted a repair.

Comment

Agreed. Competition for these repair places would be a big help. If they can do it, others must surely be capable.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

Fredrik,
                              Check the 30 amp fuse that goes to the FEM. Battery junction box (BJB) fuse F4.31
                              Hermann
                              P.S. If you need a picture with pin numbers of FEM power connector C201g, let me know.
                              Fredrik,
                              My thinking is not up to par.
                              Your car backfires. The FEM sends wheel speed info to the PCU/ECU (engine control module) which fires the spark plug coils according to speed or no speed.
                              If FEM fuse is blown that might do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X