COPS and Ford's Premium ESP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPS and Ford's Premium ESP

I have not seen this specific subject addressed (or else didn't find it) on the website, so I'm asking my question here: the Bird is developing an intermittent miss, especially under load (usually indicative of a COPs issue).

Based on my having coverage under Ford's Premium ESP, my questions are these: if I take it to the dealer,
    1) will they replace only the one COP/plug of the affected cylinder, or
    2) will they replace all four COPs/plugs on the side of the engine where the bad COP is indicated, or
    3) will they replace all eight?

Thanks for your help.
    Best Joey-ism (Friends) ever:
    "The point is Moo. It's like a cow's opinion...it's 'Moo'."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62necDwQb5E

They would replace only the failing cop(s) for me. In my case the original cops lasted several more years.

Comment

I would start by asking that all 8 be changed under warranty. Tbear is probably correct, but I would ask anyway.

Comment

Jim, ESP will only allow the Ford Service to remove remove/replace the failed part. They are not required to change out the spark plugs if only the cop is bad. Most Ford Service DO change the plug as well, but do not have to do that.

Yes common sense says they ought to check the entire bank, the other 3 on the same side since most of the labor is in the getting to the cops, but that is not the way ESP coverage works.

You can & probably should tell them to stress test the other cops since they are in there & they will charge you accordingly.
        Mike

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, all, for your responses...you're all telling me what I suspected. And Mike, thanks specifically for the suggestion of the stress test - valuable info for me going back to the dealer for this repair. I will keep you all posted (it may be a couple weeks before I address this as I'm waiting for the one COP to become more consistent in its "miss").

Comment

Jim, if they tell you they will only replace the COP that failed. Depending on your ESP deductible and how many miles you have on the car/COPs, you may want to consider asking them if they will go ahead and replace the other 3 on that side for the cost of the COPs and plugs. As mentioned the labor is essentially the same for 1 as it is 4. If your deductible is $100 then you'll spend about the same amount of money doing them one at a time as you will if they just charge you for the extra 3 COPs & plugs at Ford's inflated prices. At that point you should be good for a long time on that side and they'll all be on the same service cycle.

I did that back in 2010 when my first original one gave up the ghost. Bill and I just replaced those 4 this week with over 10 years and 105K miles service on them. Sure beat dinking around with them one at a time. Of course time and mileage may vary …..
            18 years, 165K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 100+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
              Jim, if they tell you they will only replace the COP that failed. Depending on your ESP deductible and how many miles you have on the car/COPs, you may want to consider asking them if they will go ahead and replace the other 3 on that side for the cost of the COPs and plugs. As mentioned the labor is essentially the same for 1 as it is 4. If your deductible is $100 then you'll spend about the same amount of money doing them one at a time as you will if they just charge you for the extra 3 COPs & plugs at Ford's inflated prices...
              Thanks Paul...excellent advice. I will do just that.

Comment

I have the Premium ESP plan on my '05. Since I go my '05 in 2016 I have had 6 out of 8 COP's replaced under the plan. I use the local Lincoln dealer for service. No problem with the service, in fact, I believe the Lincoln dealer is better qualified for doing the service. Regardless, the dealer is can only replace the faulty part and the spark plug at their discretion. When my ESP is up and I have a COP's problem, I will replace the Ford parts with a set of high performance COP's and be done with it.

So far, the Premium ESP has been very good. It has covered every problem and there is never a question.

Comment

Originally posted by ErvinRitter View Post
                  I have the Premium ESP plan on my '05. Since I go my '05 in 2016 I have had 6 out of 8 COP's replaced under the plan. I use the local Lincoln dealer for service. No problem with the service, in fact, I believe the Lincoln dealer is better qualified for doing the service. Regardless, the dealer is can only replace the faulty part and the spark plug at their discretion. When my ESP is up and I have a COP's problem, I will replace the Ford parts with a set of high performance COP's and be done with it.

So far, the Premium ESP has been very good. It has covered every problem and there is never a question.
                  Thanks Ervin...good input, and if there was a Lincoln dealer close, I'd use them I went through this with my prior two Birds - Lincoln dealers here are few and far between (and I HATE driving the city any more - I must be getting up there in age like Greg).

Comment

What could possibly happen in the city? COVID? Stray bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                      What could possibly happen in the city? COVID? Stray bullet?
                      ...true, in addition to drivers looking at their phones and not watching the road.
                      (Yeah, we have laws that prohibit this, but who needs laws when chaos is so much better...grumble, grumble).

Comment

I have to agree with you Jim. After living in a semi rural area for over 40 yrs. any trip that includes me driving into a larger city is a very uncomfortable feeling. When we visit our boys in either Seattle or San Diego it takes about 3-4 days of driving their streets before that discomfort level relaxes & goes away.

Maybe it is just a feeling of the unfamiliar, maybe it is the added hustle the city feeling has. I don't know, it is just not comfortable.
                        Mike

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
                          I have to agree with you Jim. After living in a semi rural area for over 40 yrs. any trip that includes me driving into a larger city is a very uncomfortable feeling. When we visit our boys in either Seattle or San Diego it takes about 3-4 days of driving their streets before that discomfort level relaxes & goes away.

Maybe it is just a feeling of the unfamiliar, maybe it is the added hustle the city feeling has. I don't know, it is just not comfortable.
                          We travel to New Zealand every year to teach, and the campus loans me a car to use (they drive on opposite side of road/right-hand drive vehicles). The Kiwis (what you call folks from NZ) obey their laws governing no cell-phone use. In addition, there is very little traffic and every one yields to each other. NO stress driving (even on opposite side of road).

We've driven in small cities/towns here in the States, like Rapid City, SD, and have not experienced any of the stress we now find in Phoenix. In the last 15-20 years, Phoenix has changed (we were both born here) - it's growth has become over-the-top, and it is no longer a friendly city in which to drive - AT ALL.

Comment

We have a good friend here from NZ. She met her Brit husband in Japan. My father seriously considered moving the entire family to NZ when I was around 10. It sure looks like a beautiful country.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                              We have a good friend here from NZ. She met her Brit husband in Japan. My father seriously considered moving the entire family to NZ when I was around 10. It sure looks like a beautiful country.
                              It is incredibly beautiful. Of all the places we have been on the face of God's earth, it is far and away the most beautiful place we've seen. White lilies grow there as weeds...you can always spot the tourists (like us), because we were the ones taking pictures of their "weeds" growing wild in the unkempt fields. And of course, it's the home of the Hobbit village.

fullsizeoutput_f8d.jpegfullsizeoutput_f8a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1137.jpeg
                              Last edited by AZTB; Jun 28, 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X