Safety Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Tip

I just recieved an Email from a freind about this. When driving on wet or icy roads, never use your Cruise Control. If the car hydro-planes or slides the cruise control will think the car slowing down and accellerate the engine making maters even worse. Alot of accidents, some fatal, have been attributed to this. Some newer cars have corrected this problem by not allowing the use of the Cruise Control when the wipers are in use. I never use Cruise when the roads are icy becuase I don't feel I have full control, but I have used it in the rain when traveling on the Interstate, but not any more. Leroy

Re: Safety Tip

Agreed, I've stopped using it in the rain also. I've never used it on ice, it's hard enough to drive on ice when you're controlling the accelerator.
    PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
    Built April 22, 2002
    Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Usually drive the FWD Impala on ice, and never use Cruise Control then, but great food for thought whenever the road is wet also.

Thanks,

James
      sigpic

Comment

When it's raining all you need is to come over the crest of a hill with cruise on ,have the car speed up and see red lights ahead.Then you don't use cruise in rain or ice.
        P.S. a good idea is to read the manual, most tell you to not use it under these conditions.
        sigpic

Comment

Agreed. Also, never leave a tranny in automatic overdrive. That too will cause a down shift on a slippery hill resulting in a spinout. I can speak from experience on this one.:-)
          trpar
          2003/Torch Red/Torch Red/Black Ink

Comment

Working...
          X