Rubber Preservative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Preservative

Can anyone suggest a rubber preservative for window & door seals? Would like to maintain original seals as long as possible on my 03. Thanks in advance.
    John V.

Re: Rubber Preservative

John, I once read that silicone on the window and door seals will keep them like new. I do our Tbird twice a year and so far so good. We also have a 1977 Lincoln Town Car "garage queen". Original owner kept it in the garage and only put about 4,000 miles on it in 23 years. Window and door seals are soft as new and I silicone them twice a year also.
    T-Birding it's the only way to fly!
    Richard & Gordon

Comment

John,
      Many of us use a product called "303" and are very pleased with it's performance. You can find it at any boating supply store.

Comment

I have heard some really great things about this product - not cheap though. (only 50 grams)

GM PART # 3634770
        CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
        GM LIST: $73.27
        OUR PRICE: $43.44

DESCRIPTION: LUBRICANT/PROTECTANT

Product description and function: This easily applied lubricant has a very low evaporation rate, is not insoluble in common solvents, and does not react with paint, or adhesives. Non-flammable, odorless, and colorless. A high perfomrance lubricant used in many automotive applications to reduce squeeks, and rattles. Some of these applications include fan clutch bearings; ABS braking systems; convertible top seal, window and door seals/weather-stripping, and T-top weather-stripping.

Roger & Theresa

Comment

I was alway told just to keep them clean. I clean mine everytime it is washed.

Comment

Originally posted by javohio View Post
            Can anyone suggest a rubber preservative for window & door seals? Would like to maintain original seals as long as possible on my 03. Thanks in advance.
            John V.

Silicone, and nothing else. Any type of oil based lubricant contains chemicals that will in time, deteriorate rubber. The best type of silicone to use, is a marine type of silicone, made especially for rubber. One brand that I always use is made by CRC, in a red & white can, that most Wal-Mart stores carry. I'm a scuba diver, and I always have used this product for years on all my rubber hoses, "O" ring seals, and all my scuba gear. It's good for all the door gaskets, rubber trim, rubber weather stripping, etc. It keeps these items soft and pliable. Never use any oil based products. Always read the print on the can, because there are some silicone products made, that will chemically attack plastic, over time.

Comment

While you're at it....clean off and put some silicone on the rubber boots of the sway bar links. My boots are all deteriorated ('02 30,000 mi). This has caused both front links to lock up and the rears are about ready to go.

Total for Ford service of all four links is $500.00.

When I get the new links they are going to get treated with silicone on a regular basis.

I use the Ford silicone that comes in a tube and apply it to the hardtop seals to keep the hardtop from making noise.
              Last edited by Bird03; Sep 15, 2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Wes,
                Do you have the Ford p/n handy for the silicone in a tube. Do you use it for the hardtop seals around the doors/windows and the other gaskets and seals to the windshield and rear deck? Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

In the owner's manual the recommendation is to use silicone lubricant on the rubber seals. The part number given there is XL6--does any one know if this is still available?

--Lindy

Comment

Taken from a post several years ago:

Part number for Ford Silicone Lubricant is #F7AZ-19G208-BA. It's not cheap; my dealer charged me $22.05 (list was $29.27). It is in a BLUE squeeze 8oz tube. It does eliminate the hardtop squeaking; but you must put it on the seal around the base of the hardtop before installing the top. This lubricant is not black but clear in color.

Redbirdsal
                    sigpic
                    Native Texan
                    IRISH THRU & THRU!

Comment

Want a low cost product that is safe for cleaning and lubricating rubber parts including tires, weatherstrips, hoses, wiper blades, etc.? It's called GO-JO.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Silicone. Used it for years. Over time it tends to turn the rubber a brownish color, at least it did on my daily drivers. Although it does remain flexible it over time does discolor it. I've since switched to 303. So far so good. As Donn mentioned it is a marine type of silicone. I also do the rubber boots on the stabilizer bars about once a year, not a fun job unless you have a lift.

Comment

Wish I could speak from some longtime expierience here but I've been following this tip as a novice. Nonetheless, maybe a word of caution, as I bought some "Gunk" brand silicone that smelled almost like "WD-40" and silicone mixed. As soon as I took a waft of that I STOPPED, and I am using the Motorcraft XL-6 spray can (available via amazon.com), to apply, spray on soft cloth and gently slide cloth over rubber seals.

--Lindy
                          Last edited by Lindy; Sep 22, 2009, 06:31 AM.

Comment

The thing that kills rubber the most is not heat or water, but UV light. Basicly, you want something that will act as sunscreen for the rubber. Becareful though, as was mentioned a lot of silicone will turn the black rubber brownish in color.

Comment

303 does protect from UV light

Comment

Working...
                              X