Spare Tire Replacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spare Tire Replacement?

I was at my local tire dealer today and I asked him if it was possible to mount a narrow tire (non spare type) on the spare rim. He said that was illegal even if you found a tire to fit and they would not do it in his shop. He also said that they felt like you should be able to get at least 10 years of service out of a spare unless it has been abused.
    Never grow up. Enjoy life while you can

sigpic

Comment

I may not have made myself clear on using a 215 tire. I was suggesting that that a new regular rim be used, not the spare rim. While it wouldn't match the other rims, it would allow you to get where you need to at speeds over 50mph and for more than 50 miles. If this isn't an issue, then just stick with the temporary spare. I'm not so sure about the the 10 year lifespan part though, I think that while it's possible, it would also depend upon the conditions where you live. I would rather be safe than sorry and have chosen to replace my spare based upon perceived need. It's a personal choice.
      Life without passion is no life at all.
      Sean Combs

Comment

I wouldn't trust " any " tire over 10 years old. I found an '05 16 spoke wheel at a local salvage yard. I am assuming the center cap is the only difference in my PCR.

Comment

That should do it, good find.
          Sean Combs

Comment

When Sally was getting orders together for a spare, I did not think it was needed as what would happen to a spare that never been out accept to check the pressure. Well, below you will see what I found today when I was putting the 2011 sticker on the regular license plate that is kept next to the spare in the tire well.
            The license plate was between the spare and the tire well, I could not remove the license plate. I had the let the air out to remove the tire from the well, yes it was still air tight, but had a large knot in the failure area.

The Production # was 3101 or the 31st week of 2001

I guess I will check to see if that site has any spares left.
            Attached Files
            Birds of the 48
            15AGAIN has been in 48 States and 9 Canadian Provinces. Travelled many miles with great friends-- "Priceless"

Comment

Thanks for posting those graphic photos. That's probably what my friend's tire looked like when his blew in his trunk a couple of months ago. His may have been a May2001 or earlier tire though as his was finished in July2001.

George is out checking the pressure on ours right now but I don't think he ever put the 02s up to specs. Wonder if putting them to spec pressure is adding to the possibility of the blowouts when not in use but subject to high temps in the trunk?
              Dot from Texas
              Porthole Authority
              TBN 2017 Calendars free to download.

Comment

Bill, just checked. Their price has gone up by $20/tire but at least it still shows on their site.
                Dot from Texas
                Porthole Authority

Comment

Bill, thanks for the pictures, I wouldn't have thought it would actually have split the casing and the belts to such an extent; it's what I would term catastrophic failure. Dot might be on to something with the pressure and the trunk heat, or possibly just with a poor tire design and too much pressure. I think that I'm going to lower the pressure in my new one since I always have a small compressor in the car (Viair, highly recommended). What I'm wondering about now is the actual safety for emergency use. I certainly wouldn't exceed the suggested max speed/distance on one. Scary stuff.
                  Sean Combs

Comment

These pictures need to accompany a

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint
                    sigpic

“THE EDGE,
                    there is no honest way to explain it
                    because the only people who really know where it is
                    are the ones who have gone over.”

Comment

Very Good thread. I have used the spare at least twice, maybe three times and never replaced it. Those pictures are proof of the need to replace mine. Thanks everyone.
                      Bob Moss

Comment

One day spares may be a distant memory. Google Michelin PAX System.

Comment

007, you're probably correct about run flats in the future, but they definitely seem to have polarized opinions about them. Take a look at the BMW forums and you'll find more than a few who don't care for them at all; also a few who feel the trade-offs in cost and mileage are worth it in safety. If the cost and mileage was the same I would consider RF, but things like finding a replacement while on the road, or a proper repair (patch on the inside) aren't always that easy at this point. I assume you have them, or are strongly considering them; are you still pleased with them and are there any shortcomings you would like to see corrected? Thanks for the input.
                          Sean Combs

Comment

Don't have them, Richard. Ride and handling have not been the best from what I've read. The new system from Michelin claims to have solved those problems but is only available for a few new vehicles. I haven't had to use any spare for the last thirty years. Guess I've been very lucky. BTW, my '75 Bird still has the original spare in the trunk, never been on the road.

Comment

One thing to take into consideration is that the two blown tires on this thread were Firestone tires, not the MAXXIS. There may be a definite difference in the manufacturing process as Firestone was not having stellar ratings on their tires at the turn of this century and may not have corrected their formula or manufacturing process by the time they made those spares. Also, both tires were 9 years old,very near the end of their recommended time line but they were also 3 years past the Ford recommended replacement timeline.

We'll know more about the longtivity of the MAXXISs as they sit in our 03s to 05s over the next few years and whether any of them blow out sitting inside the trunk. Meanwhile, we'll keep a watchful eye on our own spares.
                              Last edited by 5bird7; Feb 29, 2012, 09:00 PM.
                              Dot from Texas
                              Porthole Authority

Comment

I had my spare tire checked when I had my tires rotated last week, it was completly flat but no leaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X