Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spare Tire Replacement?

Originally posted by qruml23 View Post
    What do I have to do with my original Firestone that has never been used once replaced? Do I have to keep it for Kim in case of ???

Thank you, but I am not even going to keep the one I have!!!! Or, am I Jer??

Maybe we can keep the spare out all together!! Going to be taking a long trip here pretty soon and can use the space for shoes!!!!
    Sugarbabe
    "Spoiled"

Comment

Had our Maxxis spare mounted Friday along with new whitewalls all around.

OEM spare had never been out of car and oem tires only had 2k miles on them...but all 5 were 10 years old!

New michelins ride GREAT!
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Maxxis - I ordered a spare replacement today but price is now up to $159. (Ford dealer couldn't find any replacements.) Here's a couple photos of my 2002 Firestone temp spare that blew out just sitting in the trunk - just an amazing amount of damage on a tire that was never used and a car that spends most of it's time in the garage!
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures, Mary.

It's nearing time for caravans and tours starting up and the 2002 spares are past their prime and then some...
          Last edited by 5bird7; May 12, 2012, 11:32 AM.
          Dot from Texas
          Porthole Authority
          TBN 2017 Calendars free to download.

Comment

I was very lucky. Only needed a new valve stem. I will be ordering a new spare. Thanks for all the info. Thanks for all the help.
            Ed & Diana
            Branson, MO
            Black 02

Comment

Order my New spare today. Not taking any more chances. :)
              Ed & Diana
              Branson, MO
              Black 02

Comment

Old Spare date: 0502
                New Spare date: 1112

Only took a few days to get here.. and $5.00 to mount. :)
                Ed & Diana
                Branson, MO
                Black 02

Comment

Also, received mine today from MAXXIS code (1112).

Comment

Just have to remind everyone again about how important it is to get rid of those old Firestone spare tires.

Received this story today of another blow up:

Thanks Dot, valuable information in the Newsletter. I had a flat on my bird on the way to Hot Springs, changed with the space saver spare and made it to a tire shop. Several months later I was charging the battery and discovered the tire had blown in the trunk! I was talking to some of the guys with the North Texas Vintage Thunderbird Club and they had never heard of this either. I have searched everywhere for another tire, appreciate the info!
                    Not sure when his happened but he must have missed my last newsletter article about the spare tires. At least he didn't this time! and...At least his didn't blow while he had to use it.
                    Dot from Texas
                    Porthole Authority

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
                      Just have to remind everyone again about how important it is to get rid of those old Firestone spare tires.
                      Dot, I had to replace my Maxxis (04) spare last year because AAA installed it incorrectly and ruined the rim. I was out of town and Bonnie didn't notice the problem until rim was ruined. The new rim and tire I got was a Firestone from an 02. Because of the blow-up problem, last week I replaced the Firestone with a new Maxxis - expensive but worth it for safety.

Thanks for pointing out this problem.

Cliff
                      Last edited by BJHEN; May 22, 2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpeschel View Post
                        Thanks for the tip on Maxxis - I ordered a spare replacement today but price is now up to $159. (Ford dealer couldn't find any replacements.) Here's a couple photos of my 2002 Firestone temp spare that blew out just sitting in the trunk - just an amazing amount of damage on a tire that was never used and a car that spends most of it's time in the garage!
                        That's not pretty. I guess this is yet another example of Firestone quality. It would be interesting to know whether this has ever happened to anyone with another brand no matter how old.
                        Andre

2004 PCR (239 of 1000)
                        2012 Lincoln MKS

Comment

Wasn't there a Continental 185 60 r17 from a tire store in Europe? Seems like it was a regular SUV tire.

Is it legal to import a tire from Europe?

Would the freight be prohibitive?

I could not understand the ad. It might have well been written in Klingon!
                          Last edited by rpatton3; May 22, 2012, 08:30 PM. Reason: Typo
                          sigpicRussell
                          There were no atheists in the foxholes.

Comment

I counted up the spares that have blown up in the trunk. There have been SIX reports so far.
                            #1 & #2 Bill P. has had two go out - the original from his 02 and the "unused" Firestone spare he got from an even older Lincoln LS (it only lasted a year longer).
                            #3 - Bill G.
                            #4 - Paul T
                            #5 - Mary P.
                            #6 - John C.

All have been Firestone spares, well -past their useful dates, and all in hot or warm climates. - Texas, OK, and Florida
                            Dot from Texas
                            Porthole Authority

Comment

I wonder if Dot has found one of the reasons then. Is it the warm weather that helps cause the failures? My 2002 still has the unused original spare, but we are in Michigan. It still looks good, but.............????

I have been thinking of at least lowering the air pressure down to 50.

Paul

Comment

Paul, It may be part of it but ours still looks good too but I don't want to chance it blowing out on when we need it or using it. It is 10 year old rubber.

I would definitely consider lowering the pressure for now until you need to use it.
                                Dot from Texas
                                Porthole Authority

Comment

Working...
                                X