Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAXXIS blows

Originally posted by Sierra977 View Post
    "the MAXXIS spare had blown up. Tire shredded itself sitting in the trunk. Blew the tread and sidewalls totally apart. I know the tire had correct 60 lbs pressure cause I checked it with TWO gauges two weeks ago when I cleaned up the trunk. "
    That's good to know. I just put Michelin Pilot AS/3s on my Mustang this weekend, as one of the OEM tires blew out, necessitating replacement. When putting the MAXXIS spare back in the trunk yesterday, I filled it to 60 PSI. Today I will drop it down to 50 PSI. Last thing I need is a blown-up tire in my trunk.
    sigpic
    John
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
      get a matching full size wheel. It will fit. There is enough room.
      The original 17" wheel certainly fits, but he's talking about 18" wheels. Has anyone tried that for fit?

Comment

Just so you are all aware, the bolt pattern on the Mustang is 5x4:50, while the bolt pattern on out Birds is 5x4:25. The Mustang wheel will not fit so don't try to find one in a junk yard and simply swap the wheels. You have to dismount and re-mount the tire on the wheel that came with the TBird. There are very few cars with the 5x4:25 bolt pattern ... Volvo is one.
        Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Will the wheels for the Jag s 17" fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Cashr22 View Post
            Will the wheels for the Jag s 17" fit?
            Jaguar S-Type wheels fit just fine.
            Menace to Sobriety
            OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

Here are a couple of links that may help. It looks like Jaguar F-type would work. Best of luck finding one in a junk yard.

Link 1

Link 2
              Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Well- just back from my "Lexington Adventure" & this is what I'm looking at: A 16x6.5" Volvo wheel with a 52.5mm That's as close as I can find to the stock 60mm offset in that narrow of a width wheel. This measurement is important as to keeping the centerline of the tire as close to design: (60mm) as possible. the maxxis measures 7.5" tall mounted on the 5" steel (temporary) wheel. We can pick up an inch more clearance under the cover if we sand down the 3/4" stand offs located on the backside of the plastic well cover. A 205/65/16 section width is 8.3" when mounted on a 6" rim. Diameter 26.6 (.3" taller than the stock 17" tire) This is what I'm going to try. The folks that decided they'd rather run a 55 series tire will still have some additional work to do. Film @ 11:00!
                The narrow Ford 16" wheel had a 42mm offset...
                Last edited by camadsen_1; Jun 22, 2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Why are you going to all that trouble just to fit a temporary spare in the trunk? Just buy the Maxxis and get it overwith.

Comment

Lol! Screw the Maxxis! limited to 50 mph & God knows what distance? You were the one hell bent on me not driving 360 miles home on it, remember? What I will be replacing it with will be a REAL tire 7" wide, damn near the right diameter that I can drive all the way from Lexington to California if I please. I'm pretty certain it will fit in the trunk by merely sanding off the 3/4" stand offs. I won't even lose any luggage space. That's the last time I sit out four days of T-Bird Cruising. So If anyone is interested In my "old Maxxis" PM me - I'm certain we can make a deal!
                    The 6 million dollar question is will the "16" clear the brakes, and I'll let you know!
                    Last edited by camadsen_1; Jun 22, 2014, 11:37 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

In searching for a rear rattle that is elusive, I checked my MAXXIS and it looks perfect and has 45lbs pressure...let it blow!

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra977 View Post
                        MAXXIS website shows no stock for T185/60 R17. Will call Monday morning.
                        Newman, did you have success calling MAXXIS? Maybe they are just on back order. If so, go with the MAXXIS. When I replaced mine, it went great with them - fast delivery of the correct spare tire right to my door. Good luck!
                        Deborah
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MURPHY View Post
                          Newman, did you have success calling MAXXIS? Maybe they are just on back order. If so, go with the MAXXIS. When I replaced mine, it went great with them - fast delivery of the correct spare tire right to my door. Good luck!
                          Deborah, just got off the phone talking with MAXXIS for the second time this morning.

1. MAXXIS has no USA stock of the T185/60 R17 spare tire.
                          2. MAXXIS has none on order.
                          3. MAXXIS cannot tell me if any third party has stock.
                          4. MAXXIS wants to be only source for replacement tires.
                          5. MAXXIS is currently providing this tire to Ford for new car production.
                          6. Person I spoke with tells me they will speak with president of company about replacement tire situation on president's return to office Thursday or Friday and advise me at that time.

Best I got Darlin'.
                          Menace to Sobriety
                          OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

Wow, not very helpful "customer service."
                            It's a long shot, but what about calling Maxxis International in Canada? Tel: (905) 789-0882
                            Or their Latin America division, located in Texas? Tel: (972) 929-7277
                            Deborah
                            sigpic

Comment

Try calling factorymoparparts.com at 813-681-5010.

Comment

Newman, thanks for making that phone call and posting with their responses.

I just checked their website and only saw this spare that is even close to what we need:
                                T185/55R18 109M M9500A just not the right size for our spare wheels.

My 05 is 9 years old, travels long distance when it's on the road and I want a reliable spare in it. a 9 year old spare is just not reliable as yours has shown to you. It would be great if MAXXIS would read our forum and see our concerns.

I had to use the spare once when the car was only 2 years old because of a blowout caused by road debris (not fixable by fix-a-flat either), so I know it can happen at any time when on the road. I just don't want to have two consecutive flats because of another road debris incident - that would leave me stranded.

On a side note, Newman, I hope you don't mind if I use your photo on my website.
                                TBN TOTM 2018 Calendars free to download.

Porthole Authority

Comment

Working...
                                X