Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAXXIS blows

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
    The original 17" wheel certainly fits, but he's talking about 18" wheels. Has anyone tried that for fit?
    There is room to spare with a 17" wheel so an 18" wheel should fit - might be a little tight.
    TBN TOTM 2018 Calendars free to download.

Porthole Authority

Comment

Dot, you have my permission to use photo on your website. Thank you for asking. Newman
      Menace to Sobriety
      OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

MAXXIS blows

BTW, MAXXIS price to dealers for tire is $139.00. However they will not tell who dealers are. Price for retail customers including shipping is $156.00. Reportedly Ford dealers charge $250 for the tire. Wonder if MAXXIS has a deal with Ford to supply Ford dealers with priority over retail customers?
        Menace to Sobriety
        OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
          Newman, thanks for making that phone call and posting with their responses.
          I just checked their website and only saw this spare that is even close to what we need:
          T185/55R18 109M M9500A just not the right size for our spare wheels.
          My 05 is 9 years old, travels long distance when it's on the road and I want a reliable spare in it. a 9 year old spare is just not reliable as yours has shown to you. It would be great if MAXXIS would read our forum and see our concerns.
          I had to use the spare once when the car was only 2 years old because of a blowout caused by road debris (not fixable by fix-a-flat either), so I know it can happen at any time when on the road. I just don't want to have two consecutive flats because of another road debris incident - that would leave me stranded.
          On a side note, Newman, I hope you don't mind if I use your photo on my website.
          An 18 inch spare might be a good solution. Here are the differences compared to the 235/50R17 if the bolt pattern is the same as the Maxxis 185/60R17.

Circum. inches (mm)
          82.47 (2094.81) 81.72 (2075.65) -0.75 (-19.16) -0.9%
          Revolutions per mile (km)
          768.25 (477.37) 775.34 (481.78) 7.09 (4.41) 0.9%

The 18 " 185 spare Maxxis tire is not as tall as the 17" 235 tire.
          2002 Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
          2015 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0T 240HP, 270FP Torque
          http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...8&username=hks

Comment

Anyone using run flats? You'd also need a TPM system.

Comment

I was checking out this tire size calculator web site.

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.htm...el=&maxdelta=2

Seems like the next closest size I can find is 205/55R17. I searched Discount Tire and there were plenty of brands that have tires at that size. Seems like that should be an acceptable fit.

Comment

A regular tire will not fit the rim for the spare. The bead on the spare tire is different. I tried that last year when looking for a new spare tire.
                At that time I was able to get a Maxxis.
                They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsAndBugs View Post
                  Seems like the next closest size I can find is 205/55R17. I searched Discount Tire and there were plenty of brands that have tires at that size. Seems like that should be an acceptable fit.
                  I would like to do that as well. Now we need to find put if anyone will mount the tire on a standard 7.5 inch T bird wheel without safety warnings. Sams Club has safety warnings for going too large a size. I don't know about going too small. Or, if this 205 will fit on the spare wheel. Next step is to find out max tire width for the spare wheel. Does anyone know?

Since others are already using a full size 235 spare, we need to consider width difference of 30mm which is 1 and 1/16". Now, if the tire rests on the bottom with the tire touching sheet metal then we will have gained a reduction of over 1 inch and that might allow the trunk cover to close.

HKS
                  Last edited by HKS; Jun 24, 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird View Post
                    A regular tire will not fit the rim for the spare. The bead on the spare tire is different. I tried that last year when looking for a new spare tire.
                    At that time I was able to get a Maxxis.
                    They got to be using something. I was searching online and it sounds like many Ford Mustangs over the past decade used the same size spare.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsAndBugs View Post

OK, the 185 spare tire rim will definitely not work. I don't feel like spending $500 on e-bay for a matching 17 x 7.5" wide 2002 wheel. All I need is a wheel from the junk yard (wrecked Mustang?). If Ford used the same bolt spacing and clearances and center hub hole then I may be able to locate a rim. I will let you know if I find something.

HKS

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
                        OK, the 185 spare tire rim will definitely not work. I don't feel like spending $500 on e-bay for a matching 17 x 7.5" wide 2002 wheel. All I need is a wheel from the junk yard (wrecked Mustang?). If Ford used the same bolt spacing and clearances and center hub hole then I may be able to locate a rim. I will let you know if I find something.

HKS
                        The Lincoln LS is the same bolt pattern....

Comment

Mustang bolt pattern is different. 4.50 vs 4.25 on the Birds.
                          Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
                            HKS
                            Many of the recent model Mustangs used the same tire, not the same rim.

Comment

Maybe we're overthinking this.

If your tire still holds air, throw a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk. It seems to be good enough for most new car manufacturers these days as many cars don't even come with a spare anymore. Carry it around as added insurance. Between the spare and your Fix-A-Flat, you should be able to get far enough down the road to get a tire repaired or replaced.

For those whose tire is completely shot, another option would be to go to a tire store like Discount or others. I would be curious to see what their recommendation would be. I'm betting they could fix you up with something that would fit on the rim for use as an temporary spare.

Comment

if I could find alternative rims to fit the winter tires on I guess it makes more sense to sell the 16 spokes one at a time to owners wanting a full size spare. (c'mon Ron or DavidA ya gotta know!) C'mon Charlie we know you have a set or three in the shed!

Originally posted by wcoates
                                Have a set of 16 spoke wheels on my winter tires that I am going to get broken down to chrome the wheels. Am looking for info on any Ford 17 inch wheel that these tires could be mounted on and directly bolted on without spacers or adapters.
                                Seriously, a gent who bought a set of chrome from me wanted to sell his 16 spokes that were painted red on the outside circle. He wanted <$200 for all four. Heck spray 'em and for $50 you have problem solved. PM me for his name if interested.
                                Last edited by wcoates; Jun 24, 2014, 07:38 PM.
                                Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                                2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Working...
                                X