MAXXIS blows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAXXIS blows

Discount just told us they can get us a new Maxxis tire out of Cal that will meet the specs of existing donut...for $500!
    He says they have a thinner tire for about $200.
    Best Joey-ism (Friends) ever:
    "The point is Moo. It's like a cow's opinion...it's 'Moo'."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkJ4BUChxI

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post
      Discount just told us they can get us a new Maxxis tire out of Cal that will meet the specs of existing donut...for $500!
      He says they have a thinner tire for about $200.
      For that price, I'll keep the current spares I have in the trunk of my 2 T-Birds and add in a can of Fix-A-Flat for any longer distance trips. That's nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsAndBugs View Post
        For that price, I'll keep the current spares I have in the trunk of my 2 T-Birds and add in a can of Fix-A-Flat for any longer distance trips. That's nuts.
        215/55R17 Tire $93.00 at tire rack. 94W load rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=17

Wheel $100.00
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-THUNDER...3D310678391096

By the way my Jetta has a less than full size spare but not a donut.

HKS
        Last edited by HKS; Jun 27, 2014, 08:43 PM.
        2002 Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
        2015 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0T 240HP, 270FP Torque
        http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...8&username=hks

Comment

I ordered a replacement spare directly from the Maxis website last April. 149.00 delivered. 25.00 to have it mounted at Discount Tire.

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
            get a matching full size wheel. It will fit. There is enough room. the lid will not fit but you can place a flat peice over the well even with the rest of the trunk bed and all should be fine. You'd just lose some packing space.

as for an odd size spare (original, I mean), you never know how far away you're going to be away from a tire shop with the tire size you need for your current wheels.
            Dot,

I just tried to insert a 215/55R17 tire (no wheel/rim) and it was a tight fit. You needed to bend the plastic piece in the rear (closest to the bumper) to jam it in. And the lid still did not close. Maybe the tire has a different shape when mounted. I do want to maintain tire height (diameter). The 185/60R17 spare is not the same height as the 235/50R17. It is two inches shorter and thus will do all the hard work of propelling a 4,000lb car when mounted on the rear.

What needs to be done to fit a 235/50R17 wheel/tire in the place of the spare tire well? Cut something? I would like to hear from people that have actually put a full size wheel in the spare tire well.

I am considering the 205/55R17 for size now. I want a spare that is allowed to go more than 50MPH.
            By the way, I finally checked the air in the 185 Firestone and it was 30psi. Did it loose 30 LBS in 12 years or do you think a Ford tech adjusted it during a past maintenance interval? Do I dare put 60psi in now?
            HKS
            Last edited by HKS; Jun 30, 2014, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I believe Dot has a regular tire in her trunk. In fact maybe others should read this thread:
              http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...ad.php?t=22310

Comment

HKS
                I have had a full factory deluxe wheel and tire in my 2003 bird since new. Feb 2003.
                In order to get it in full blow up I had to put the wheel in upside down and
                move the tire tools a bit and now it fits with cover sticking up about 1 1/2 inches. With a flat on the road, I would have a hard time getting it out by myself. (medical reasons). All the tires are of same age and mileage, except the spare--no miles. With all the talk about tires needing replacement 5 years or so. That spare with rim is very expensive. I too do not want to trust that little dognut.
                Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
                  Dot,

By the way, I finally checked the air in the 185 Firestone and it was 30psi. Did it loose 30 LBS in 12 years or do you think a Ford tech adjusted it during a past maintenance interval? Do I dare put 60psi in now?
                  HKS
                  The loss of air pressure over time is normal. If I were you I would only put 50 lbs of air in it and carry a small air compressor to add to it when and if it gets put into use. Seems the ones that have blown have had the recommended 60 lbs of air in them. The other thing that seems to be common is a high ambient temperature outside. Also, if you've paid much attention to stuff that comes out of the trunk, you'll notice that the trunk is extremely hot after long drives.
                  17 years, 156K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 100+ T-bird events, 160+ retrobird diecasts/models, 10 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS to TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by MATBird View Post
                    I believe Dot has a regular tire in her trunk. In fact maybe others should read this thread:
                    Manny thanks MatBird and everyone for helping me find Dot's post.
                    I believe it can be done with a 215/55 which is the same diameter as the 235/50 (1.5mm larger).

Why did the 215 tire not fit and let me close the lid. The explanation must be that the tire shape changes when mounted on the wheel (tire gets narrower). Can anyone second that notion.

HKS

Comment

Originally posted by MATBird View Post
                      Many thanks MATBird and everyone for helping and pointing me to Dot's thread.
                      I believe it can be done with a 215/55 which is the same diameter as the 235/50 (1.5mm larger).

Why did the 215 tire not fit and let me close the lid? The explanation must be that the tire shape changes when mounted on the wheel (tire gets narrower). Can anyone second that notion.

HKS

Comment

More food for thought.

What would you all do when going for a full size spare? Get a wheel that matches the other 4? Or get the lightest non OEM wheel so you can lift it in your old age?

I am thinking of wheel damage when a tire blows. Then the spare OEM wheel would be a good investment. Does anyone know the weight of the 2002 Premium chrome wheels? Are wheels with wire spokes lighter? Weight for non OEM wheels is usually stated.

HKS
                        Last edited by HKS; Jul 1, 2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Well I've got to say that this thread has got me thinking that one of the 16 spoke wheels I've got on winter tires is going into the trunk to be used as the spare very shortly.

Was going to get that set chromed but might just sell individually for spares if I could get three others to have an interest in buying only one. ($200 includes shipping)
                          Last edited by wcoates; Jul 1, 2014, 09:51 AM.
                          Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                          2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Bill - the stock (correct) offset is 60mm. It will be cast into the back of the wheel. anything less - 52.5mm, 49mm, 42mm - the centerline if the tire will be kicked outboard by the difference from 60. Probably not what you want in a winter wheel. Have you considered a set if painted Jaguar wheels for the winter? 'Wouldn't be as prone to corrosion as a chrome wheel.
                            Posted without the aid of extra strength "Gas Relief"
                            Last edited by camadsen_1; Jul 1, 2014, 09:05 AM. Reason: sp:

Comment

Bill: I posted links to all the wheel info in post 36 on this thread.
                              Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

David: you forgot the icon!

Comment

Working...
                                X