MAXXIS blows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXXIS blows

Well just thank you MAXXIS...bless your little heart. Opened Coco's trunk this morning to check the date code on the battery and what do you know, the MAXXIS spare had blown up. Tire shredded itself sitting in the trunk. Blew the tread and sidewalls totally apart. I know the tire had correct 60 lbs pressure cause I checked it with TWO gauges two weeks ago when I cleaned up the trunk. And wouldn't you know MAXXIS is out-of-stock for T185/60 R17. Can't find any of this size at online tire dealers either. Going to call local Ford/Lincoln on Monday to see if they have stock. May post pic later. "What a revolting development this turned out to be..."
    Menace to Sobriety

Re: MAXXIS blows

Sorry to hear that. Apparently this is more than just a Firestone problem. You might want to contact these people as it appears they have stock. Doesn't specify brand.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/9oo3089397.html

If you Google the tire size, you'll get other leads. Quite a few appear out of stock.

Comment

Do like Ford and many of the new car manufacturers now. Throw a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
        Sorry to hear that. Apparently this is more than just a Firestone problem. You might want to contact these people as it appears they have stock. Doesn't specify brand.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/9oo3089397.html

If you Google the tire size, you'll get other leads. Quite a few appear out of stock.
        Thank you Gene. Your Google-foo is superior to mine.

Sent factorymoparparts.com an email asking for clarification of manufacturer.
        Menace to Sobriety

Comment

Do you want to hear something funny, my wife's Cadillac does not have a spare. Where the spare is suppose to go there is small compressor with a can of fix- a - flat built on to it. Cadillac says it will fix any flat. B. S. Also no jack or lug wrench.

Comment

Pic of guilty party

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403367913.360440.jpg
            Menace to Sobriety

Comment

You may want to try and get one at a salvage yard. Lincoln LS has the same spare tire size.

Comment

Originally posted by tduncan47 View Post
                You may want to try and get one at a salvage yard. Lincoln LS has the same spare tire size.

If you do that, you're getting a tire that is at least 6 years old ... not a good idea.
                Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra977 View Post
                  Pic of guilty party

[ATTACH]40013[/ATTACH]
                  We hope to see a pic of it in an orange (Coral would be suitable too) jump suit and behind bars soon!

Drive it like you stole it !!!

Comment

Fix-A-Flat is fine for punctures or slow leaks, but if you have a blow-out and your tire is shredded, a can of that won't help much. And if your wheel gets bent and breaks the seal, canned tire sealant probably won't work either.

Sometimes there's just no substitute for a good spare.

Comment

Dunno why these compact spares are hard to find. Appears to be used on many late model Mustangs. As recently as 2013 Mustang GT models.
                      Menace to Sobriety

Comment

Dunno why these compact spares are hard to find.
                        Because they're all blowing up? Maybe we should lower pressure to 50 or 55 especially in the summer.

Comment

The other solution is a full size spare. I love this mod that Michael Aaron (doubutsu) did.

Comment

Well just thank you MAXXIS...bless your little heart. Opened Coco's trunk this morning to check the date code on the battery and what do you know, the MAXXIS spare had blown up. Tire shredded itself sitting in the trunk. Blew the tread and sidewalls totally apart. I know the tire had correct 60 lbs pressure cause I checked it with TWO gauges two weeks ago when I cleaned up the trunk. And wouldn't you know MAXXIS is out-of-stock for T185/60 R17. Can't find any of this size at online tire dealers either. Going to call local Ford/Lincoln on Monday to see if they have stock. May post pic later. "What a revolting development this turned out to be..."
                            When I ordered my Maxxis spare tire June 5th they told me there were only two in the United States and they were in California. It came in the day after I left for Bluegrass Cruising. Cost from Mr Tire was $159. The two Ford Dealers wanted $250 and said it would take a week to get so those might have been coming from the same place. I think they are made in Canada & don't know if crossing the border entails a delay. You might be able to order direct: http://shop.maxxis.com/c/compact-spare-tires

I assumed the Maxxis was much better than the 12 year old Firestone I took off.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                              When I ordered my Maxxis spare tire June 5th they told me there were only two in the United States and they were in California. It came in the day after I left for Bluegrass Cruising. Cost from Mr Tire was $159. The two Ford Dealers wanted $250 and said it would take a week to get so those might have been coming from the same place. I think they are made in Canada & don't know if crossing the border entails a delay. You might be able to order direct: http://shop.maxxis.com/c/compact-spare-tires

I assumed the Maxxis was much better than the 12 year old Firestone I took off.
                              MAXXIS website shows no stock for T185/60 R17. Will call Monday morning.

Will also call Mr Tire.

Should be easier to get these tires. Business opportunity for someone.
                              Menace to Sobriety

Comment

Working...
                              X