X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sierra977
    started a topic MAXXIS blows

MAXXIS blows

Well just thank you MAXXIS...bless your little heart. Opened Coco's trunk this morning to check the date code on the battery and what do you know, the MAXXIS spare had blown up. Tire shredded itself sitting in the trunk. Blew the tread and sidewalls totally apart. I know the tire had correct 60 lbs pressure cause I checked it with TWO gauges two weeks ago when I cleaned up the trunk. And wouldn't you know MAXXIS is out-of-stock for T185/60 R17. Can't find any of this size at online tire dealers either. Going to call local Ford/Lincoln on Monday to see if they have stock. May post pic later. "What a revolting development this turned out to be..."

• FUN X 3
    replied
    Re: MAXXIS blows

I had the original spare for my car out last week because I needed the jack to move my shed. Seems I built my shed over the sewer line from my house to the main line and there's a tree sending roots into the line and the county wants to dig up the line. Major unexpected project to move that damn thing. Anyway, the spare had 20 psi. We are AAA members and they'll inflate the spare to the recommended pressure when they come out to change a flat tire. I just hope it doesn't blow up when they inflate it, or while it's on the car! I guess I should get a new one.

Leave a comment:

• JohnA
    replied

Originally posted by pillarinc View Post
    My spare blew up and hit the can of fix a flat what a mess
    Ouch - sounds like adding insult to injury.

Leave a comment:

• pillarinc
    replied

My spare blew up and hit the can of fix a flat what a mess

Leave a comment:

• doc
    replied

As anyone ordered a T185 60R17 spare from factorymoparparts.com? Are they reputable?

Does the difference in size (155 70R17) spare tire from Thunderbird Concepts work well?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 5bird7
    replied

Bringing last year's thread back up as another report surfaced on face book about a Firestone spare blowing up in the trunk. This from a member of TBN who lives in MA... so it's now hitting cold weather trunks.
    Last edited by 5bird7; May 18, 2015, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2004 T-Bird
    replied

I took my new Canadian Maxxis spare to Discount Tire ( where I bought my four new Michelin Premier 235/55R17s earlier in the spring). They replace my spare that had never been out of the car before. The date code said it was manufactured in 2003. Discount Tire did not charge me to take the old one off and replace it with my 2014 new spare. Customer service means something to me. I'll be back when I need tires the next time.
    Last edited by 2004 T-Bird; Sep 3, 2014, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HKS
    replied

Originally posted by Gobird View Post
    Gord, When I got my new Maxxis I put 40lbs. in it.
    40 psi is a good compromise and sounds good to me.

I still wonder about finding 30 psi in the spare after a past Ford dealer service appointment.

Maybe it was a secret Ford directive.

HKS

Leave a comment:

• 007Cruiser
    replied

Thanks, Karen

Leave a comment:

• Tweetie
    replied

I really don't know who is doing the rechrome - Kwicksilver Wheel Pros here in Henderson is repairing the curb rash and they are sending it on to Ca. Have used them before, several times. I ducked home real quick today with that ugly spare wheel on :}

Leave a comment:

• tbird6t4
    replied

I know a few people that have tossed the spare and run with a can of Fix-A-Flat in inside a zip lock plastic bag in the trunk and use the added space for other things.

I wonder if that can might also explode in high heat?

I think I will just reduce the pressure to 45 or 50 lbs. and look for a gas station if I need to.

Gord

Leave a comment:

• 2004 T-Bird
    replied

I think the air pressure adjustment is due to the old age of the spare. Once you obtain a new Maxxis I would think the air could be brought back to original specs.

Leave a comment:

• Gobird
    replied

Originally posted by tbird6t4 View Post
    In Dot's post she said keep your spare at 30 lbs. pressure. If you are sitting on the side of a highway and not dragging a compressor around how do you inflate it to the recommended 60 psi?

I have been on the internet and the only suggestion is to carry a small compressor (12V) not a great option with our small trunks or a bicycle pump. I thought there might be a compressed air can that would do the job but couldn't find one on-line.

I just checked my donut spare Saturday ahead of a 400 mile round trip and it was flat, fortunately I have an 8 gallon compressor at home and brought it up to 60 lbs., but it may not be such a wise decision.

What is everyone else doing?

Gord
    Gord, When I got my new Maxxis I put 40lbs. in it.

Leave a comment:

• 2K2BIRD
    replied

After my original blew up in the trunk with 60 psi, I have dropped back to 50 psi. I also bought a real small portable compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter port. I keep it behind/under the seat. Even if the compressor fails, I feel like the spare could go for a little ways with 50 psi - hopefully enough to get me to a place to put in more air.

Leave a comment:

• 007Cruiser
    replied

Karen...who's doing your rechrome?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X