Black Hills travel from the East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hills travel from the East

Newly retired wife with the notoriously bad back is going to give the Black Hills a go! I do think I'll be lucky to keep her in the car longer than 6 hours per day with a walk around the car break every two hours. With that as a qualifier does anyone have any thoughts on using either I-80 or I-90 as the preferred route. Was thinking of I-80 but around Cleveland both are the same road and we could stay on I-90 I'm guessing. Any thoughts?

Any must see/do places on the way west? Would love to drive with other members if at all possible.
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Re: Black Hills travel from the East

Originally posted by wcoates View Post
    I do think I'll be lucky to keep her in the car longer than 6 hours per day with a walk around the car break every two hours. ........... Any thoughts?
    Any must see/do places on the way west?
    First suggestion... Make sure you stop the car when she wants to walk around it,
    Check this site for quirky stops along the way..

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
    Bird is the word.....
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Glad she is going to make the event! We look forward to seeing both of you.

Comment

Bill, why don't you travel one route going out and the other returning?

Comment

If you go I80 through Iowa, it's a fairly good road but does have a lot of truck traffic. Couple places for stops along the way, Williamsburg for outlet shopping, Amana Colonies for lunch and if you want to go off the interstate, then tour through the colonies. I would recommend the short detour off 80 south to Winterset to tour the John Wayne birthplace and see some of the bridges of Madison County (see my avatar for one). None of the stops would take long to tour. If you are looking for something longer, I liked going through Pioneer Village in Des Moines it's right off the interstate and is a multi period farm site.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
            Bill, why don't you travel one route going out and the other returning?
            Duh! You are quite obviously a much more astute trip planner than I am Gene! That's why we ask all you TBNers for advice and council.
            2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

I just like to vary my routes, Bill. Pam says we never go anywhere the same way twice. I just like to see different sights.

Comment

Advise from a pharmacist - premedicate. Don't wait to start hurting before taking medication. I'm a fan of ibuprofen if it can be tolerated and there are no contraindications to taking it. A wimpy, OTC 200mg dose won't do it. Max dose is 3200mg per day (800mg 4 times a day), so there is a lot of latitude in the dosing.

As you know caravaning is always a hoot and an event unto itself, so be sure to hook up with the group in Mitchell for the final leg.
                21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                  I'm a fan of ibuprofen
                  Even after the recent news?

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...r-heart/nm3ks/

Comment

No ibuprofen for me, only Tylenol. Its been that way for at least the last 10 years.

Comment

I qualified my statement somewhat, but of course you can never know exactly what each individual's medical profile is. For that reason they have to be the one making their final decisions with input from their health providers.

I am far from pro-drug as a general rule and every one of them have some kind of side effect that can have serious implications for one patient or another. Ibuprofen taken at high doses for prolonged periods of time is certainly not recommended for anyone based on potential cardiac and renal problems, but a better quality of life for a short duration of therapy still makes it a good option for many people.

Acetaminophen in true pain killing doses for extended periods can cause harm the the liver, so there is always a risk. For short durations doses up to 4000mg per day are fine.

Aspirin in high doses can't be beat as a pain reliever, but it has stomach issues, tinnitus and interaction problems with blood thinners. So in the end it comes down to the person.

I still say getting ahead of the pain is the way to go.
                      21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Only aspirin for me, fifty years and going strong.
                        02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                        02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                        03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                        03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                        04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                        04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                        04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                        04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                        05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                        05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                        05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                        - 48&DC

Comment

Drive it like you stole it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                            As you know caravaning is always a hoot and an event unto itself, so be sure to hook up with the group in Mitchell for the final leg.
                            Reservations are made for Mitchell so that much is covered..

As Gord said, back to topic-- a long way from Ohio to Mitchell and still looking for any and all suggestions.

Yeh Paul, need to drug her up early each morning. Will be an experience. Hope it's a good one as she has loved the three events she has attended and I'm looking forward to having her with me for Frank Lloyd Wright and Alabama (and Skip's event and Pappasitos etc) next year.
                            Last edited by wcoates; Jul 26, 2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Bill: I believe there a group from southern Ontario that plan to spend their first night in Portage Indiana, you may want to check in with the Canadian group.

Comment

Working...
                              X