Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of dial up of years gone by. Sort of like an etch a sketch hooked to a car battery.

Comment

It was great at 2am this morning.

Does anyone else remember when we went to this version of VB a year and a half ago, that Kevin tried to update the website to the latest from VB but we were going to lose EVERYTHING that had been posted on the older version of VB? Then he had to revert us back BUT couldn't go back to the version we used to use and had to opt for a later version of that old one? At least that is how I interpreted what he told us at that time.

I suspect the problem has to do with our usage of the site. Maybe there is another way to shorten up our search time such as going to the main forum page and selecting threads that have been updated on the individual forums without doing these convenient searches we're used to using?
      Last edited by 5bird7; Mar 24, 2019, 09:49 AM.
      Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Yes Dot I recall the same. And Kevin pointed out that there were numerous posts that week often duplicates or replies to posts that often contained all of the original post including photos. Kevin pointed out that this type of posting can overload the sever with repetitive data that will eventually bog down the speed.

I don't know how or what exactly can be done. There must be a type of housekeeping or maintenance that could be done to flush out old, old endless chatter type posts to give the server more data space.
        Mike

sigpic

Comment

I suspect what Dot and Kevin just posted has something to do with what is going on, I have no idea how a website works but wonder who has to do the maintenance?? People that own the servers, or people that own the website?? both ?? Doubt vBulletin software does it on it's own..

I just came off another vBulletin website (version 4.2.3) with 1581 users online right now, tons of pictures etc.. and it also has an occasional log in and duplicate post problem but it is faster than a "speeding bullet" 99.9% of the time..

Speaking of vBulletin overall here is a link to user reviews of their software.. NOT very well liked!! https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com

Scroll down on the reviews to the one posted 8/15/18 You might recognize the writer!!

Comment

Sometimes on the traceroute it's going to Germany before getting to the server (hop 14
            xe-11-2-1.cr5-lax2.ip4.gtt) other times it goes up to Canada first:

Source
            United States
            ip-10-0-0-0.us-west-1.compu
            1 ms
            0 ms
            0 ms
            ip-10-0-0-0.us-west-1.compu
            0 ms
            0 ms
            0 ms
            no response
            no response
            no response
            no response
            12 ms
            13 ms
            13 ms
            16 ms
            21 ms
            20 ms
            0 ms
            0 ms
            1 ms
            3 ms
            3 ms
            3 ms
            2 ms
            3 ms
            4 ms
            2 ms
            2 ms
            2 ms
            ae14.cr5-sjc1.ip4.gtt.net
            1 ms
            1 ms
            2 ms
            xe-11-2-1.cr5-lax2.ip4.gtt.
            9 ms
            8 ms
            8 ms
            fe0-pronethosting.cust.lax0
            10 ms
            10 ms
            10 ms

Comment

https://tools.pingdom.com/#5a6c33f540c00000

The website above has some suggestions for the site;
              Improve page performance

F0 Use cookie-free domains
              When the browser requests a static image and sends cookies with the request, the server ignores the cookies. These cookies are unnecessary network traffic. To workaround this problem, make sure that static components are requested with cookie-free requests by creating a subdomain and hosting them there.
              C80 Make fewer HTTP requests
              Decreasing the number of components on a page reduces the number of HTTP requests required to render the page, resulting in faster page loads. Some ways to reduce the number of components include: combine files, combine multiple scripts into one script, combine multiple CSS files into one style sheet, and use CSS Sprites and image maps.
              B90 Avoid URL redirects
              URL redirects are made using HTTP status codes 301 and 302. They tell the browser to go to another location. Inserting a redirect between the user and the final HTML document delays everything on the page since nothing on the page can be rendered and no components can be downloaded until the HTML document arrives.
              A100 Avoid empty src or href
              You may expect a browser to do nothing when it encounters an empty image src. However, it is not the case in most browsers. IE makes a request to the directory in which the page is located; Safari, Chrome, Firefox 3 and earlier make a request to the actual page itself. This behavior could possibly corrupt user data, waste server computing cycles generating a page that will never be viewed, and in the worst case, cripple your servers by sending a large amount of unexpected traffic.
              A100 Put JavaScript at bottom
              JavaScript scripts block parallel downloads; that is, when a script is downloading, the browser will not start any other downloads. To help the page load faster, move scripts to the bottom of the page if they are deferrable.
              A100 Reduce the number of DOM elements
              A complex page means more bytes to download, and it also means slower DOM access in JavaScript. Reduce the number of DOM elements on the page to improve performance.
              A100 Make favicon small and cacheable
              A favicon is an icon associated with a web page; this icon resides in the favicon.ico file in the server's root. Since the browser requests this file, it needs to be present; if it is missing, the browser returns a 404 error (see "Avoid HTTP 404 (Not Found) error" above). Since favicon.ico resides in the server's root, each time the browser requests this file, the cookies for the server's root are sent. Making the favicon small and reducing the cookie size for the server's root cookies improves performance for retrieving the favicon. Making favicon.ico cacheable avoids frequent requests for it.

Comment

Beats the heck out of me.

Comment

I am still not having any problem with the site but I have contacted Margaret for the information on who to contact on the server company to get them to look at the problem if there is one.
                  They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                  IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                  Visit the TBN Store

Comment

I have no problems logging in at all but navigating the site is a little slow after logged in, but post #s 95 and 96 just hurt my brain
                    figured I needed something here

Comment

• Originally posted by Gobird View Post
                      I am still not having any problem with the site but I have contacted Margaret for the information on who to contact on the server company to get them to look at the problem if there is one.
                      There definitely is one.

It took 10-15 seconds for those 4 words to post when I hit enter
                      21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

• Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post

There definitely is one.

It took 10-15 seconds for those 4 words to post when I hit enter
                        Doing some testing with virus protection off temporarily.

Now Mcafee back on.
                        Worked fine with virus protection off. Now slow again.
                        We are back to the TBN SSL issue. When realtime Virus protection does not see SSL, you get extensive realtime scanning.
                        Last edited by HKS; Mar 25, 2019, 03:51 AM.
                        2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                        2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
                        2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
                        26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Working...
                        X