Has your fuel pump failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has your fuel pump failed

Mine went out in my 2002 at about 48,000 miles. The car had sat in the garage thru my 8 month deployment and died while cruising at 60 mph shortly after I got home. Seems to be a pattern. I never had the fuel below 1/4 tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg S View Post
      Mine went out in my 2002 at about 48,000 miles. The car had sat in the garage thru my 8 month deployment and died while cruising at 60 mph shortly after I got home. Seems to be a pattern. I never had the fuel below 1/4 tank.
      Same here the fuel has never been below 1/4 tank. I'm having trouble getting the kick plate off the drivers side to check the switch, does anybody know how to get this kick plate off ? I know its a long shot but I would like to check the switch before I call for the flat bed next weekend.
      Be good and if you can't be good be careful.

Comment

Gonna have to add my 2003 to the pile of dead fuel pumps - yesterday, took the left front tire off, ripped the wheel well liner out, the fuel filter - cranked it, nothing - time to rip the interior apart. I can't believe these things went this far up in price. When I bought one for the NM in 2012 it was $290. Just checked for the DSB - $803 - wonderful. So just for kicks I checked the 2002 - $316 - huh? Different part numbers:

2003:
        Right - 4W4Z-9H307-AA - $803.66
        Left - YW4Z-9275-BC - $316.91

2002:
        Right - YW4Z-9H307-BB - $354.34
        Left - YW4Z-9275-BC - $316.91

The slaves are the same - odd that they would make a different main pump. Wonderful - $1,120.57 on fuel pumps - ugg.
        Last edited by Chuck; May 9, 2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Mine went out at 48,000 miles on the 02.
          Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even. Will Rogers

Comment

My fuel pump did not go out but I replaced it at about 100,000 miles. I travel from coast to coast and did not want it to go out in the middle of no where. So I did a preventative action and replaced it in Little Rock, AR $595 Thanks to Gary H. for guiding me to his shop.
            Ed & Diana
            Branson, MO
            Black 02

Comment

Had a bad inertia switch about 95,000 mi.

Comment

See the link below for some Rock Auto Fuel Pump Prices.
                Any think I've ordered from Rock auto has arrived in a couple day.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...le.com+URL+%2F
                sigpic

Comment

Mine went bad at about 50,000 on my 2002.
                  2002 Thunderbird Blue.
                  19" TSW Snetterton Wheels, Continental eXtremeContact tires.
                  Eibach lowering kit, Borla Catback Exhaust system and CAI,
                  Powersports California Custom aluminum grille.
                  Every day is a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl03 View Post
                    There seems to be a good many reports of fuel pump failure on retro birds.
                    I thought it would be helpful to know how many owners have had to replace their pump and at what mileage. Also if you have had no fuel pump issues and your mileage.. Thanks

Comment

At 27k miles. $1100. Car now has 29,700. Have had to replace leaking valve cover gaskets, and replaced 2 coil on plugs. Bought the car with 26k miles on it.

Comment

My wife's '02. We have had the car 4 years and put 3k miles on it and have spent $2400 in repairs for fuel pump, 2 coil on plugs, replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, and leaking power steering pump. Gonna sell it. Very disappointed with all the problems. The Ford house loves me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jooniemoonie View Post
                          My wife's '02. We have had the car 4 years and put 3k miles on it and have spent $2400 in repairs for fuel pump, 2 coil on plugs, replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, and leaking power steering pump. Gonna sell it. Very disappointed with all the problems. The Ford house loves me.
                          If you sell now someone is going to get a great deal and you won't have gotten your money's worth out of the repair costs. You should enjoy it. The money is already spent and can't be recouped when you sell it.
                          21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

You are correct Paul!!! He should drive and enjoy the miles!!!
                            Gary Dawson
                            Hamilton, GA
                            Merlot Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by ajl03 View Post
                              There seems to be a good many reports of fuel pump failure on retro birds.
                              I thought it would be helpful to know how many owners have had to replace their pump and at what mileage. Also if you have had no fuel pump issues and your mileage.. Thanks
                              failed at 30000 miles...replaced both went over speed bump to fast and thud.....fuel shutdown valve activated...reset and still nothing...still not sure its was the fuel pump or the valve

Comment

Originally posted by Jimr View Post
                                See the link below for some Rock Auto Fuel Pump Prices.
                                Any think I've ordered from Rock auto has arrived in a couple day.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...le.com+URL+%2F
                                Has anyone just replaced the 2002 fuel pump for $29.00?
                                The high prices talked about on this thread must be for the entire assembly and labor.

HKS
                                2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                                2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
                                2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
                                26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Working...
                                X