Orginal Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Orginal Tires

Here's my take on the old tires. If the car is basically a garage queen and ony used locally, it really doesn't matter how old the tires are as long as they are not flat-spotted or severely cracked.

If, however, you use the car on the highway for trips of ANY length, then you are taking a huge risk with old tires, no matter how they look. The risk is not only to yourself, but to others on the road as well.

I have over 100,000 miles on moy car. I drove on the original blackwalls for about 10,000 miles, then put on a set of Michelin Diamond Back whitewalls which I drove on for about 60,000 miles and now have a second set of Diamon Back Michelins on the car. These will probably wear out before the 6 years are up and I will put on yet another set.

By then, I think the car will be relegated to a local driver so those will probably be the last set I put on. My goal is to cover each of the 48 continental states and most of Canada's provinces before I retire the car to the ocal scene.
    Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

We had to replace the tires on the 02 bird this spring due to weather checking. The tread was still good, but I didnt want to chance a blow out.

Comment

They are the original tires with 17,000 miles. But just ordered a new set because was advised of some tiny cracks in the tread....

Monty-heymon1

Comment

I'm with DavidA on this. If all I did was cruise around town (or drive my car on and off a trailer) then I'd go longer on old tires, but I don't want to be on old rubber out in the boondocks on some of the trips that we make.

Anyone can have a flat, but to increase my risk of having a flat when I can lower it, just doesn't make good sense to me.

Another thing to think about, is when/if a tire blows on the highway, there is a good chance a wheel can be ruined before the car can be stopped safely on the side of the road. I do not want to be trying to find a NM wheel at a reasonable price to replace one with major road rash that I might have been able to prevent. It could easily cost as much as a new set of tires. Of course even more important than the damage to our car, is the possibility of bodily harm to anyone in my car as well as anyone around me if the car is hard to control in a blow out.

Old tires are like an old battery, you never know when their final day will come, even if they still look fine. I'm not willing to gamble, that when it does, it won't be a major inconvenience, hassle or just plain dangerous.

My original tires were removed at the 6 year point with lots of tread because of planned trips to areas of extreme heat and isolation. The current set will be replaced after the big trip this summer, because the tread will be far enough gone to warrant it.
          21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Still on the original tires though they are near the wear mark. I don't know why but they have worn out evenly at 20,000 mi. I am now looking at Continentals or whitewalls. Not sure if whitewalls would look good on a PCR with Dayton wire wheels. Any comments?
            Andre

2004 PCR (239 of 1000)
            2012 Lincoln MKS

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster239 View Post
              Still on the original tires though they are near the wear mark. I don't know why but they have worn out evenly at 20,000 mi. I am now looking at Continentals or whitewalls. Not sure if whitewalls would look good on a PCR with Dayton wire wheels. Any comments?
              From a guy who owns one,the PCR is classy not flashy leave it the way it came from the factory. Besides the wires are a royal pain to keep clean, again from a guy who's had them on another ride.
              sigpic

“THE EDGE,
              there is no honest way to explain it
              because the only people who really know where it is
              are the ones who have gone over.”

Comment

We have our original tires but did replace the battery with a Ford replacement.
                We have 4,200 miles on the 2002.
                sigpicRussell
                There were no atheists in the foxholes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                  I'm with DavidA on this. If all I did was cruise around town (or drive my car on and off a trailer) then I'd go longer on old tires, but I don't want to be on old rubber out in the boondocks on some of the trips that we make.

Anyone can have a flat, but to increase my risk of having a flat when I can lower it, just doesn't make good sense to me.

Another thing to think about, is when/if a tire blows on the highway, there is a good chance a wheel can be ruined before the car can be stopped safely on the side of the road. I do not want to be trying to find a NM wheel at a reasonable price to replace one with major road rash that I might have been able to prevent. It could easily cost as much as a new set of tires. Of course even more important than the damage to our car, is the possibility of bodily harm to anyone in my car as well as anyone around me if the car is hard to control in a blow out.

Old tires are like an old battery, you never know when their final day will come, even if they still look fine. I'm not willing to gamble, that when it does, it won't be a major inconvenience, hassle or just plain dangerous.

My original tires were removed at the 6 year point with lots of tread because of planned trips to areas of extreme heat and isolation. The current set will be replaced after the big trip this summer, because the tread will be far enough gone to warrant it.
                  Totally agree with you! In addition to what you just said, if you live in a hot part of the country like we do in Charleston,SC, don't wait for your battery to fail. If you get 4 years on a battery, change it. That's about $25 per year. It's a royal pain in you know where when ever a battery does not start your car!

Cal
                  sigpic

Comment

I replaced the original tires when I purchased a set of 21 spoke chrome wheels with almost new tires from another member. The car had 29000 miles on it then. The mileage now is 31000.

Comment

I replaced the original tires last year before the 55th Anniversary event and KT@G. The tires looked brand new with just under 25K miles on them. I understand I was the talk of the shop at my dealer as the techs couldn't understand why 'this guy was replacing new tires with new tires". But they were 9 years old, and I was concerned about the amount and type of driving I was anticipating. I kept the old tires figuring someone might be able to use them on a show car or limited use car. If anyone is interested, let me know.
                      sigpic
                      Skip
                      2002 Ford Thunderbird Premium, Torch Red with Full Accent Red Interior
                      2013 Ford Escape SEL (Ecoboost), Frosted Glass
                      2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport, Ruby Red Metallic

Comment

Amadeus now has a tad over 96,000 miles......original tires are no longer there....I think I'm on the 2nd set.......getting close to time for replacing them..priced new Michelins today for about $900 installed, pre tax, though.

Comment

Last Wednesday was an interesting day. I hadn't had a flat tire in years. Picked up my mother-in-law from the doctors office and had a flat tire in her Chrysler Town & Country, left-rear. Pulled into a side street and changed to the spare. Two hours later, we are on the way to the airport to pick up Judy, and had a flat tire in her Ford Escape, left-rear. Lug nuts were on way too tight, had to have AAA come change to the spare. Imagine that, two flats in one day. Then on the way home, we saw a dog get hit by a car. Rolled several times on the sandy shoulder of the road, got up and limped off. Some people stopped and there was a lady nearby who pitched in to attend to the dog, hope it was okay. We were glad to get home with no other odd incidents.
                          PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                          Built April 22, 2002
                          Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Replaced mine at turn of year 2011, 53,000 miles.
                            I kept the old tires for the date codes...they still have some tread left. doubt that I'd ever get that geeked for show car all original survivor status, but I have them if I do.

BTW I also replaced rotors and pads at same time and mileage
                            http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...ad.php?t=15130

Comment

Original tires with 10,200 miles. Car built in October 2001. Tires have never been exposed to any extreme weather, still look like new, and ride the same way. I wondered about the age, almost 10 years, but I think it depends somewhat on what all the tires have been exposed to. So far no road salt, snow, ice, or extreme heat. I think I will stay with them, for a while at least.
                              Cal - Yellow premium, full accent - #4127

Comment

Cal: I'd say your car qualifies as a local garage queen and thus, new tires would be a waste of money. However, if you decide to join the fun and actually drive it someplace, like a TBN event ... then please get new tires before setting out.
                                Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X