thunderbirdnest.com - Thunderbird Forums  
Welcome to Thunderbirdnest.com! TBN is the web's best site for enthusiasts of 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 Ford Thunderbirds (retrobirds). Discussion forums, technical forums, production data, live chat, photo galleries, modifications, performance enhancements, accessories and more. Join the Retro T-Bird fun today!

Go Back   thunderbirdnest.com - Thunderbird Forums > T-Bird Groups and Chapters > Florida Chapter

Florida Chapter Florida Thunderbird Group Discussion Forum

Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
EH2653

Icon9 Fan blower won't shut off????

2003 Ford Thinderbird,
When I turn off the key and remove it the fan blower keeps on running for say 15 to 30 seconds? I asked at the local dealership if they had any concerns for this in the past and the answer was no. They asked me to replace the blower relay I did no change. I was told by other dealers that the problem was in the head unit in the dash. This part is obsolete but I found only one in the U.S. in Oregon Salvage Yard. I bought it and replaced it still not shutting off. Has anybody else run into this problem. The car is 10 years old and has 25000 miles on it total. I am frustrated and don't know where else to look. I appreciate any feed back.
Thanks
EH2653
EH2653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:34 PM   #2
JohnA
Contributing Member

Re: Fan blower won't shut off????

I haven't had my car long enough (or in warm enough weather) to notice or think about this, but I have had other cars with electric fans that would keep running for a bit after shut off. I always assumed it was to help cool the system, though I don't know if it was timer or thermostatically driven.

john a
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3
JohnA
Contributing Member

Wait a sec ... I just read your post in the other thread. I assumed we were talking about the engine/radiator fan. I now think you're talking about the fan in the heating/AC unit, so ignore my comments above (just tryin' to help *blush* )
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4
EH2653

Correct I am referring to the air conditioning blower. Will work without the air conditioning compressor engaged. This is not related to the cooling system fan. I believe that is thermostatically controlled and may run a bit longer when the car is shut off. The A/C blower in the past 10 years always shut off when the key was removed.
EH2653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:54 PM   #5
steelblue5505
"A Smile In Every Mile"

What is the head unit in the dash?
There is a blower motor control module and there is the Dual Air Temperature Control module. Both are in the center stack which did you replace? The DATC gives data to the blower motor control as to when to turn on/off & what speeds to run at.

In the shop manual there is a complete flow chart to service the blower motor not functioning correctly. Why don't you have either Ford or Lincoln service this problem for you?

"A Smile In Every Mile"
steelblue5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:40 AM   #6
geoffrey

EH2653 I have basically the same problem.
the fan motor runs constantly and only shuts off after the ignition is off about 15 seconds later. The dealer diagnosed the problem to be the EATC module, however that did not fix it when replaced. Another repair shop is suggesting it may be a "blower motor relay".
Anyone interested in a EATC Module cheap? Any ideas?
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 03:04 PM   #7
tbird6t4

If it is only 15 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. When you consider how much voltage that your engine cooling fan draws on a hot day after you turn it off, then the interior fan should not be a problem or put much of a strain on your battery.

What if you hit the off button on the climate control panel in the center pod before you exit the car? Will it keep on running?

Too darn cold up here to know any better!

Gord

Drive it like you stole it !!!

tbird6t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:39 AM   #8
geoffrey

My fan runs constantly on high. It only shuts off after the car is turned off. The fan speed control does not work either.
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017, 08:37 PM   #9
oppeds

I know this an old post but I am having the same issue....fan run constantly on high and the fan speed control does not lower it. Only way to shut it off is to turn the car off. Has any fix been found?
oppeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 04:43 AM   #10
Blkhwk
BLKHWK

Sorry, no help,but very intriguing given its rarity. One thread in 2014 and nothing else until now.
Blkhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Brad

Doesn't your radio and all your electric components continue to run when you turn off the key? If you open the door, does the blower (and everything else) turn off? I think your cars are operating as designed
Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 11:32 AM   #12
steelblue5505
"A Smile In Every Mile"

If the cabin blower is truly running at Hi speed all the time & the speed control button on the Climate control unit also known as the Electronic Auto. Temp. Control does Not allow fan speed control than the most probable cause is the Heater/AC Blower Control Module. Not the EATC.

The EATC is the "brains" of the operation directing the Blower Control module to provide a electrical path to ground enabling the blower to operate. That is all it does for the blower, the speed of the blower is controlled by the blower control module.

This module is located up in the dash behind the the EATC and radio. It can be accessed by removing both assemblies from the center stack.

Hope this is of some help.

"A Smile In Every Mile"
Old May 16, 2017, 02:18 PM   #13
oppeds

Thanks Mike this does help...the issue is that the fan runs at high speed at all times. All other funtions work. Is the Blower Control module a part easy to find?

Sam
Old May 16, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14
oppeds

Update - I ran the diag on the climate control unit and it displayed 2 error codes.
12 42 and 12 59. Any idea what these are?
Old May 16, 2017, 08:32 PM   #15
LA PHIL

Sounds like you have a bad climate control unit.

Bad news is, Ford no longer services this part, no new units are available, and the old defective units cannot be repaired or rebuilt because the parts (originally manufactured by Visteon), are no longer available.

Only option is to scour salvage yards and dismantlers in hopes of finding a compatible unit that works, and perhaps get a warranty on the used part. These units are not generally interchangeable, so a unit from one Thunderbird may or may not work on another.

I've worked with two T-Bird owners in the past 30 days that had the same problem and could not repair, rebuild, or remanufacture compatible units.

Last edited by LA PHIL; May 16, 2017 at 08:53 PM.
LA PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 08:39 PM   #16
007Cruiser

Since the blower obviously has power, perhaps something could be added to the circuit to control the speed. Any thoughts from those who have electronic knowledge?
Old May 16, 2017, 08:43 PM   #17
carntz

Icon10 Re: Fan blower won't shut off????

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA PHIL View Post
Sounds like you have a bad climate control unit.

Bad news is, Ford no longer services this part, no new units are available, and the old defective units cannot be repair or rebuilt because the parts (originally manufactured by Visteon), are no longer available.

Only option is to scour salvage yards and dismantlers in hopes of finding a compatible unit that works, and perhaps get a warranty on the used part. These units are not generally interchangeable, so a unit from one Thunderbird may or may not work on another.

I've worked with two T-Bird owners in the past 30 days that had the same problem and could not repair, rebuild, or remanufacture compatible units.

Excellent info from a valued member. Nice to see your post.
carntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 09:07 PM   #18
oppeds

So not the Heater/AC Blower control module? Maybe worth a try to replace? Anyone know the part number and where to find one?
Old May 16, 2017, 09:18 PM   #19
snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Cruiser View Post
Since the blower obviously has power, perhaps something could be added to the circuit to control the speed. Any thoughts from those who have electronic knowledge?
There is a blower motor speed control unit , part # 19E624 that could be bad .
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 02:18 PM   #20
steelblue5505
"A Smile In Every Mile"

Sam, the codes you mentioned are 1242 recirculation door actuator circuit failure.
1259 is code for AC solar sensor open circuit.
Which diagnosis did you run? The on demand self test or the retrieve continuous trouble codes. Reason why I ask is too determine if these are old or new codes since you. began working on this problem.

"A Smile In Every Mile"
Old May 17, 2017, 03:24 PM   #21
oppeds

Mike I ran the on demand. Pressed off plus lower then auto.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:55 AM   #22
steelblue5505
"A Smile In Every Mile"

In an attempt to further troubleshoot the solar sensor without taking anything apart I am wondering what your results would be if you place a dark rag over the solar sensor, it's the little dome in center of dash up at the wndshield, then with headlight switch set to auto do the headlights come on. Yes then we know that some of the solar sensor is working. Next re run the diagnosis on the EATC to see if you still get code 12 59. Or are there now new & different codes?
Very interesting problem

"A Smile In Every Mile"
Old May 24, 2017, 06:45 AM   #23
oppeds

Sorry I was away for a few days...

Mike I ran your test suggestion, the headlights did come on with rag on the sensor, also ran diag with same results 12 42 and 12 59

Sam