Windshield replacement story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FUN X 3 View Post
    It was a good decision to not have it done at your house..
    Phil, Guess you missed my point. I'm not driving 60 miles to Lakeland and leaving my car there over night so they can do a job that only takes about 2 hours. The guy I now have will come to my house and replace it. I had this this done a few years ago in my driveway and was happy with their work.
    They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
    IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
    Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird View Post

Phil, Guess you missed my point. I'm not driving 60 miles to Lakeland and leaving my car there over night so they can do a job that only takes about 2 hours. The guy I now have will come to my house and replace it. I had this this done a few years ago in my driveway and was happy with their work.
      I responded to your initial post. I assumed you were taking the car to Avon Park since it was only 8 miles away. Your initial post doesn't say where it was being done, there or at your house.
      PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
      Built April 22, 2002
      Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Safelite has replaced two windshields in our Inca over the years at our home. Installers both times were happy we had a covered place to work in. Two hours each time it was installed. First one could have done it in less time but he and George had to talk. 2nd installer was doing his first Thunderbird so it took him the full two hours. The dash does not need to be removed to get the job done.
        Participate in Thunderbird of the Month for 2022 calendar
        Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64
        Porthole Authority
        TBN TOTM 2021 Calendars free to download.

Comment

First dealer I was working with blew me off and wouldn't even return my phone calls. So yesterday I contacted a different supplier in Winter Haven, about 40 miles west of me.They said they could do the job the next day.. Guy showed up an hour earlier then expected, took about 1 1/2 hours to do the job. He was very professional and did a good job.

I'm now good to go on our Aug. trip with a new windshield.
          IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
          Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Good enough Spence. It it an OEM?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
              Good enough Spence. It it an OEM?
              No but I didn't care about that with a Bird with close to 150,000 miles on the clock I'm not worried about resale. Just wanted a good windshield. It's made by PGW. PPG is now PGW. So it's made in the US.
              Last edited by Gobird; Jul 24, 2019, 06:41 PM.
              IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
              Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Question? Did the strap break or did the ratchet let go? I designed my own rigging for my electric hoist three years ago. I had the three nylon straps custom sewn to correct length to eliminate the ratchet joint. I have never had a problem and I leave the top suspended over the car for about ten months out of the year. After reading your post, I did a close inspection of my straps and did not find any issues. Sorry to hear about your mishap!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL View Post
                  Question? Did the strap break or did the ratchet let go? I designed my own rigging for my electric hoist three years ago. I had the three nylon straps custom sewn to correct length to eliminate the ratchet joint. I have never had a problem and I leave the top suspended over the car for about ten months out of the year. After reading your post, I did a close inspection of my straps and did not find any issues. Sorry to hear about your mishap!
                  What are the chances of getting some pictures of your strapping method, the length of the straps and attachment points. I'd like to make up something similar.

Thanks. Ted

Comment

Originally posted by FUN X 3 View Post
                    It was a good decision to not have it done at your house. We had ours replaced a few years ago and the guy was here most of a day. I swear he had parts all over the driveway, he took most of the dashboard apart. He clearly had never done a retro T-Bird windshield before. If it's done in a shop, you get the benefit of the collective experience of the entire team and not just one person who may or may not know what they're doing.
                    It is best if you can be there while they are installing it.

I left my Tbird overnight and it was handled by gorillas that destroyed my dash. The owner had to pay someone to repair all the scuff makes on top of the dash vinyl.

Then the guy repairing the vinyl damaged the steering wheel insert paint. Had to have Ford remove steering wheel and get it repainted Tbird Blue, on my dime, $120.

HKS
                    2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                    2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color Rolling Thunder
                    2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
                    26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

About a week ago we looked up the last place that replaced my windshield back in 2010. It was Budget Auto Glass out of Winter Haven. The company has changed their name to K&K auto glass. I called them on a Monday and they were at the house the following day and even came an hour early and replaced the windshield in about an 1 1/2 hrs. Great job and real professional in doing the job.

No I didn't get one with the Bird emblem on the glass, I just wanted a good windshield.
                      IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                      Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Working...
                      X