Long forgoten about part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long forgoten about part

This is a part that Ford made for owners of our tbirds with hardtops, check on the drivers side with the hardtop off to see if you have this part, if not buy it, this was developed to stop noise and rattles with the hardtop on. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...53.m1438.l2649

Mine was gone. Bought one and ''lost it'' in the center console for 3 seasons. Does make a difference in noise/rattles.
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

The trick is to glue it on place, not to rely on the clips. It also helps the top to lie flat rather than tilt just a bit.
      Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Most times you will find them down in the top well.
        02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
        02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
        03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
        03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
        04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
        04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
        04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
        04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
        05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
        05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
        05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
        - 48&DC

Comment

I cant check mine right now... that looks like the locating hole for hardtop pins, no? If this is an add on does it go on top of existing locating pins? Thank you Earl for bringing this up... I had missed knowledge of it during my several years here.
          Quickdraw
          Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Not sure I've got one..maybe Stu from Ocala will know...doesn't appear I've got one..was it OEM?

Comment

And is there a semi-matching part for the passenger side? Or was it a drivers side issue only?

Greg, this appears to be the solution to a problem that popped up after regular production of the vehicle began. In cases like this the part would be factory installed after a certain date. (Or the original faulty part would have been redesigned so this part wasn't necessary.)

Dot loves to collect knowledge like about when this correction was made. If she doesn't already have it she would love to pin it down as close as possible.
              Quickdraw

Comment

I seem to recall that there was a small part that looks exactly like that, that was an integral part of the back window heater; it had something to do with the pin on the passenger side and the correct contact.
                Life without passion is no life at all.
                Sean Combs

Comment

Here it is:
                  http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...passenger-side
                  Life without passion is no life at all.
                  Sean Combs

Comment

OK, now it appears that this part, both left and right side, are original equipment on all 2002-2005 Thunderbirds and only vehicles whose parts have fallen off need it. I thought it corrected the hardtop rattle experienced by many owners.
                    Quickdraw

Comment

More updates on this part
                      Since George started this hard top subject, I wanted to reply to him and others that have contributed. My dealer got my 03 T-Bird fixed, I think. My wife picked it up a couple a days ago and I just drove it tonight for the first time since back. My rattle was a missing part on the left side. They replaced the drivers side link where the roof actually latches to the body. The part number is 1W6Z-7650611-AA. Also was advised that most complaints are a simple sqeak rather than the rattle as mine was. The dealer actually brought in a Ford Regional Quality Control person who came to the dealership. They rode in the car initially. To eliminate the squeak, they say to clean the rubber seal on the bottom of the hard top with alcohol before installing each season. Be sure and use a brand new tape kit each time. It's important not to leave the tape kit on any more than 90 days or so. Hard to do with those of us that have long winters. Not sure their advice on that one is realistic. Anyway my Bird is much quieter and with only 1,000 miles on it that is the way it should be. I'm much happier and it's more fun to drive now with the hard top on. Good luck to the rest of you and I will let you know if the rattle returns.

From Pitt Birds Thunderbird Club newsletter December 2013:

After installing the hard top on my Thunderbird, I noticed that the top was popping or rattling more than in the past. I removed the top and noticed that on the driver’s side, a plastic spacer that the hard top post set down on was missing. This is what caused the top to rattle. I found the old broken spacer under the plastic cover. The passenger side is quite different. This has the connection for the rear defroster. I ordered the part (Part # 1W6Z-7650611-AA) from a local Ford dealer on Tuesday and three days later they called and said the part was in. The plastic spacer has clips that are supposed to hold the spacer on the metal bracket, but they are very flimsy, so I decided to put a little super glue under the spacer when I installed it. The spacer is 1/4 inch thick where it sets on the bracket. I tried to install the hard top. The Driver side post would not go down into the bracket socket. I measured the diameter of the post and it was 15/32, so I reamed the hole with a 15/32 drill bit; that took out a little plastic material, so I then used a 31/64 bit and reamed the hole again. After reaming the hole out the post dropped in as it was supposed to. I completed the top installation and took the Thunderbird for a drive. The hard top did not make a sound. The spacer compresses the spring on the hard top post assembly and that holds the top down tighter, therefore the rattle goes away

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                        OK, now it appears that this part, both left and right side, are original equipment on all 2002-2005 Thunderbirds and only vehicles whose parts have fallen off need it. I thought it corrected the hardtop rattle experienced by many owners.
                        You are correct, no new news here. If you lose the passenger side you will not have a functional heated backlite on your hardtop.
                        02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                        02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                        03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                        03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                        04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                        04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                        04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                        04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                        05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                        05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                        05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                        - 48&DC

Comment

If anyone is still looking for one of these parts I have found some Ford dealers in the US that has this item, just send me a pm and I will give you their contact information. Earl

Comment

Ford Part Number 1W6Z7650611AA Driver's Side Clip

It is not the same as Passenger Side. Pass Side clip usually never comes off as it is secured by the wires attached to it to bring power to the rear window defrost.

The Driver's side clips on and is easily pulled off by the HT latching post when removing the HT.
                            This the driver's side.

HT Locator Bracket Driver's Side.jpg
                            Mike

sigpic

Comment

This is the Passenger side. Note the two wire slip-on connectors just barely visible in the corners.HT Locator Bracket Pass. Side.jpg
                              Mike

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X