Speed Sensitive Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Sensitive Power Steering

Yesterday, after needing to accelerate rapidly (pedal to the metal) to avoid an oncoming speeder and a 1/4 mile later someone pulled out of a gas station onto the 4 lane road I was on (45MPh), I had to do hard braking in order to avoid a T-bone collision.

Then I proceeded to get a few groceries. After leaving the grocers parking lot, I noticed hard steering and remembered some of the posts on this site.

I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and there was no difference when turning the wheels (in the garage).

Steering fluid tank is full and no leaks on the garage floor. I can't believe it is the power steering. If power steering was inoperative I would think it would be much harder to turn the steering wheel.

I suspect the FEM (Front Electronic Module). I see FEM's available and they show them all combatable from 2002 to 2005?

I am going to try to get to the module. First I will disconnect all FEM plugs and reconnect them to see if it fixes the speed sensitive steering.

I read where you need to have the dealer read the module settings before replacing the FEM so that the new FEM module can be reprogramed with the same parameters.

Other sites say no reprogramming needed.

I would appreciate all the input and experience anyone has had with the FEM and hard steering.

HKS

2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
    2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
    2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
    26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

I have an FEM that is fighting me also. Have not had time to check it out. My issue is dash & shifter lighting.
    Be just what you is, not what you is not. Folks what do this is the happiest lot.....Mr. Wizard the Lizard

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know for sure if they are genuine.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I've noticed that the steering on my 29k Baby Blue is much 'stiffer' than BB with 102K...??..normal?

Comment

You can do some searching on the site here and lots of info. This can be fixed by sending the FEM off to repair shop. No programming needed. Only takes a week or so and not a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
          I've noticed that the steering on my 29k Baby Blue is much 'stiffer' than BB with 102K...??..normal?
          Not normal. Must be same failure as mine.
          There is a control valve actuator on the power steering. The manual has you look for it when on a lift.

I think this control valve actuator is what makes the steering stiffer at highway speeds.
          I wonder if the actuator valve electrical connecter is removed, will it switch to city driving mode or highway driving.
          This control valve actuator gets its enable signal from the FEM.
          HKS

Comment

Originally posted by dewdrop View Post
            You can do some searching on the site here and lots of info. This can be fixed by sending the FEM off to repair shop. No programming needed. Only takes a week or so and not a lot of money.
            I did search and found some module sites that are unreliable. Can you or someone that has gone through the FEM repair recommend a reliable module rebuilder?
            I can get a genuine Ford module but that surely would require reprograming.
            HKS

Comment

Blue Driver scan tool reports C1925 VAPS Solenoid Actuator Return Circuit Failure. This would mean a bad (ground return) wire or connector.
              Not sure if it is an FEM failure (they call it FCM).
              VAPS is the Variable Assist Power Steering (in FEM).

Need to put car on a lift to see the connector underneath the engine compartment. Wil try to reseat the connectors when I get time.

B2519 and B1201 are bogus.

Manually Entered VIN
              VIN: 1FAHP60A52Y124737
              Make:Ford Year:2002
              ----Confirmed Trouble Codes Scan Report----
              0 Confirmed Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
              ----Pending Trouble Codes Scan Report----
              0 Pending Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
              ----Rear Electronic Module Codes Scan Report----
              2 Rear Electronic Module Trouble Codes:
              1. B2519
              High Mount Stop Lamp Circuit Failure
              2. B1201
              Check report for description.
              ----Generic Electronic Module Codes Scan Report----
              1 Generic Electronic Module Trouble Codes:
              1. C1925
              VAPS Solenoid Actuator Return Circuit Failure

Attached PDF does not work
              Attached Files
              Last edited by HKS; Aug 18, 2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

I did search and found some module sites that are unreliable. Can you or someone that has gone through the FEM repair recommend a reliable module rebuilder?

HKS
                Mr. Seigl

If one of your unreliable module suppliers is on our list of re-manufacturers, please advise asap and we will get it of of our list asap. Also will add someone that you have good luck with if not already on our list.
                Thanks

http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...e-manufactuers

Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
                  Blue Driver scan tool reports C1925 VAPS Solenoid Actuator Return Circuit Failure. This would mean a bad (ground return) wire or connector.
                  Not sure if it is an FEM failure (they call it FCM).
                  VAPS is the Variable Assist Power Steering (in FEM).

Need to put car on a lift to see the connector underneath the engine compartment. Wil try to reseat the connectors when I get time.

B2519 and B1201 are bogus.

Manually Entered VIN
                  VIN: 1FAHP60A52Y124737
                  Make:Ford Year:2002
                  ----Confirmed Trouble Codes Scan Report----
                  0 Confirmed Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
                  ----Pending Trouble Codes Scan Report----
                  0 Pending Trouble Codes Trouble Codes:
                  ----Rear Electronic Module Codes Scan Report----
                  2 Rear Electronic Module Trouble Codes:
                  1. B2519
                  High Mount Stop Lamp Circuit Failure
                  2. B1201
                  Check report for description.
                  ----Generic Electronic Module Codes Scan Report----
                  1 Generic Electronic Module Trouble Codes:
                  1. C1925
                  VAPS Solenoid Actuator Return Circuit Failure

Attached PDF does not work

Comment

Page2:
                    Had some collision repair (left fender and front of car, not my fault) done almost a year ago and noticed harder steering when I picked the car up. Now that I have a shoulder problem I noticed it even more.

So, I am going to have the body shop put the car on hoist to see if the
                    VAPS Solenoid Actuator plug is disconnected. Wish me luck.

I may have screwed up if it is the FEM and not wiring. Insurance would have covered it.

HKS
                    P.S.
                    So, applying 12 volts to the actuator would leave the power steering in the more the responsive mode all the time.

P.S.2 Return circuit failure. Bad ground return to module? Current is probably sensed in the FEM ground circuit. If the FEM is not applying 12 Volts then the error code would be the same.
                    Last edited by HKS; Aug 19, 2018, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I have used automotive modules.com. They were quick and unit worked fine after repair.
                      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dewdrop View Post
                        I have used automotive modules.com. They were quick and unit worked fine after repair.
                        Dan
                        Thank you Dan, I will give them a call.
                        HKS

Comment

I changed the ps fluid and put in the additive for 'squeaks' that worked on Baby Blue. But, still overly stiff steering that the new owners are noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                            I changed the ps fluid and put in the additive for 'squeaks' that worked on Baby Blue. But, still overly stiff steering that the new owners are noticing.
                            Prob the FEM, that company that repairs the FEM modules for a couple hundred dollars says thats one of the symptoms of an FEM failure - or possibly the PS solenoid:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RBIRD

This poster activated my anti-virus protection. Another bogus member??

RBIRD
                              Every time I try to go to the homepage I get a pop up telling me that I could win the big prize. Yeah,right.

Comment

Working...
                              X