X brace tightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X brace tightening

How many bolts need to be checked on the x brace? I checked this morning and it looks like the large brace has one at each corner and one about half way in toward the intersect point at the center of the car for a total of 8. The one toward the front of the car appears to have 4. I tried searching for this information but I couldn't find anything.
    Thanks in advance!

I no longer have the manual, but a quick check under the car seemed to support your numbers...8 and 4.

Comment

46 ft-lbs.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I counted more bolts than you did. Where the front X has 2 in the front, it has 4 to the back. The rear X has 6 to the front, and the back has 8. This is counting both L and R sides of the X members. Out of all of them, I found 3 that were loose. I put 46 ft lbs on all of them as recommended. The hardest part of the job was getting back up off the shop floor.

Comment

Thanks, Dave, for a more accurate count!

Comment

Thanks Dave for your input. Guess I'll have to look a little closer.

Comment

did it work?

Comment

Won't know until tonight when I get a chance to check.

Comment

Booked for an oil change and wheel swap out on Tuesday. Also booked the four post hoist so they can check the "X" bracing.

Comment

Booked for an oil change and wheel swap out on Tuesday. Also booked the four post hoist so they can check the "X" bracing.

Comment

Finally got the car out this evening between rain showers. Was surprised the difference that tightening the bolts made. Only a couple seemed a little loose. The creaks and shudders that the car made when hitting minor road bumps are virtually gone. I also tightened the 4 bolts for the upper brace that’s located under the plastic shroud at the rear of the engine compartment. Couldn’t find torque specs so I just snugged them up. Time well spent.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I have the car in the shop for a road check; I will request that they check! What would I do without you guys...

Comment

Working...
                          X