Is my Bird loose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Bird loose?

I've owned my beautiful 02' yellow bird for two weeks now and have driven about 300 miles, just turning 32,000. Having never driven another T-Bird I have nothing to compare but my car seems a bit loose on minor bumps. Handles well on smooth roads but brings back memories of my TR-6 on city streets. I've had it checked out by my indy mechanic and although all of the boots and rubber bits in the suspension are deteriorating none are far gone and all joints seem tight. The mechanic says to drive it until it shows signs of really needing repair and replacement but feels nothing is required at this time.
    I'm reluctant to spend the big bucks to redo the entire suspension before it is actually needed but my 06' Honda Ridgeline is much tighter w 95,000 on it.
    I've never owned a Ford product and would like to know if all Birds feel like this.
    There are always a few Birds enjoying our Michigan Up-North summers and I would love to meet up someone to compare how our cars feel so if you are going to be in the area and willing to meet please contact me: noodles2@charter.net

Do you know what the air pressure is in the tires? How new are the tires?
    02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
    02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
    03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
    03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
    04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
    04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
    04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
    04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
    05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
    05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
    05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
    - 48&DC

Comment

It's probably fine. When I drove one of these Thunderbirds for the first time in 2003, I was surprised how it felt too. It wasn't a sports car feel. It always felt to me more like a luxury car in terms of how it drove and handled. Comparable to Lincolns and Cadillacs I had driven previously.

Comment

Originally posted by 4LOWBIRDS+8 View Post
        Definitely worth checking. Pressure seems to greatly change handling (at least to me).

Comment

I think my Bird is loose.... the other night it had a foreign aroma from the exhaust, oil that wasn't my brand on the headrest, and driving gloves in the glove compartment that didn't belong to me.......
          Bird is the word.....
          Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Originally posted by 4LOWBIRDS+8 View Post
            Will certainly check the pressures, something I should have done already. Tires are only a year old.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsAndBugs View Post
              It's probably fine. When I drove one of these Thunderbirds for the first time in 2003, I was surprised how it felt too. It wasn't a sports car feel. It always felt to me more like a luxury car in terms of how it drove and handled. Comparable to Lincolns and Cadillacs I had driven previously.
              I not getting that 'boaty' feeling - more like a rickity old bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyFrye View Post
                I think my Bird is loose.... the other night it had a foreign aroma from the exhaust, oil that wasn't my brand on the headrest, and driving gloves in the glove compartment that didn't belong to me.......
                She's not stepping out on me - locked up and tucked in every night :-)

Comment

is it a "feel " or is it a "sound" is the hardtop still on? my car feels actually rather tight but I have 45 offset wheels.... now with the hardtop on sometimes I get that rickety feeling because I can hear it.
                  figured I needed something here

Comment

Also properly torque the x-braces. 40 pounds per bolt if memory serves correctly. Suspension rubber bushings are also usually worn and decintegrated.
                    Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Close, David, 46 fp is correct. All four wheels must be on the ground or on a drive on lift.

Originally posted by 5bird7
                      46 fp is correct. It's been stated several times above. You can find it in Vol 2 of the Workshop books for the 2002 on page. 502-00-16, Top pic A0038815.

Comment

I feel you want to try and meet up in Gaylord sometime, stop at Big Buck Brewery (opened up again this
                        year) we can compare.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by hippy_mailman View Post
                          is it a "feel " or is it a "sound" is the hardtop still on? my car feels actually rather tight but I have 45 offset wheels.... now with the hardtop on sometimes I get that rickety feeling because I can hear it.
                          Feel - no sounds or rattles

Comment

Originally posted by 02-T-Bird View Post
                            I feel you want to try and meet up in Gaylord sometime, stop at Big Buck Brewery (opened up again this
                            year) we can compare.

Ted
                            Love to meet w you Ted. I can go north as well and drive over to Petoskey often. Had hoped to make it up to the car show last week but it did not pan out

Comment

One gets a lot more cowl shake with the hardtop off. If you have a hardtop, put it on and drive it and see if that's what you're feeling. Convertibles never felt as good as a full body. Just physics.

Comment

Working...
                              X