Hard shifting Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard shifting Bird

My ‘04 Merlot, 94K miles, shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on soft acceleration. If I accelerate hard, shift is smooth. Any suggestions? Is tranny going bad, or are there ideas to remedy the situation? Thanks for your help.
    Barry

have you changed fluid?

Comment

Careful Barry! My hard shifting tranny resulted in a rebuilt tranny being installed. Not fixing the problem resulted in rebuilding the rebuilt. Still no fix made them look at PCM which was the problem.

Had to fight with Ford to install a re-worked PCM under warranty. Problem solved but with a great deal of wasted time and money!
      Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
      2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Both good responses from our "Old Wise Ones". I would have my mechanic service the transmission and filter changed just due to mileage before looking at the PCM as culprit. Good luck and let us know outcome..

Comment

Sounds like like the answer is in the question. Just drive it like you stole it! Problem gone. JK

Any chance that the battery was changed or disconnected recently?

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
            Sounds like like the answer is in the question. Just drive it like you stole it! Problem gone. JK

Any chance that the battery was changed or disconnected recently?
            I did put a new battery in it. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL View Post
              Both good responses from our "Old Wise Ones". I would have my mechanic service the transmission and filter changed just due to mileage before looking at the PCM as culprit. Good luck and let us know outcome..
              I will try fluid change and filter. Good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by wcoates View Post
                Careful Barry! My hard shifting tranny resulted in a rebuilt tranny being installed. Not fixing the problem resulted in rebuilding the rebuilt. Still no fix made them look at PCM which was the problem.

Had to fight with Ford to install a re-worked PCM under warranty. Problem solved but with a great deal of wasted time and money!
                I have no warranty. What’s a ballpark on the cost of a PCM?

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. Most appreciated!
                  007 Criuser, Can you give me the Window Short Drop Glass procedure, too?
                  Thanks again!
                  Last edited by Splitwindo@gmail.com; Sep 25, 2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitwindo@gmail.com View Post

I did put a new battery in it. What do you recommend? Thanks.
                    After a battery change, the engine and transmission need to relearn things. A very specific procedure is outlined in the owners manual. Before paying for a flush, try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes before following this procedure:

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer, some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and performance. To begin this process:
                    1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
                    2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
                    3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
                    4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
                    5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
                    6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
                    • The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
                    • If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned.
                    When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its optimum shift feel.
                    If the battery has been disconnected or a new battery has been installed, the short drop glass, clock and the preset radio stations must be reset once the battery is reconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitwindo@gmail.com View Post

I have no warranty. What’s a ballpark on the cost of a PCM?
                      http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...e-manufactuers
                      Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
                      2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post

After a battery change, the engine and transmission need to relearn things. A very specific procedure is outlined in the owners manual. Before paying for a flush, try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes before following this procedure:

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer, some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and performance. To begin this process:
                        1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
                        2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
                        3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
                        4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
                        5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
                        6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
                        • The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
                        • If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned.
                        When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its optimum shift feel.
                        If the battery has been disconnected or a new battery has been installed, the short drop glass, clock and the preset radio stations must be reset once the battery is reconnected.
                        That’s terrific information! Thank you very much. I’ll try it!

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. It has worked for others in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                            have you changed fluid?
                            Not yet. I’ll try the “relearn procedure” first before I get tranny fluid changed.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X