2002 steering column retract & extend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 steering column retract & extend

When the dealer had my car last week (diagnosing an instrument cluster problem) the tech said my steering wheel wasn't "acting right"...and the positioning switch was intermittent. I haven't noticed anything like that only that you have to push on the switch solidly to get the column to move...

Looking in the Workshop Manual section the only test for this system is if its "binding"; mine is not. I'm considering just leaving it alone versus spending $1,000 for a steering column ass'y (which are actually available).

Just wondering about others experience with this part...

If it's not interfering with your use of the car, I see no point in spending the money on it at this time.

Comment

There are six black relay boxes in the trunk. They all are identical. Switch them around and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dreano View Post
        Looking in the Workshop Manual section the only test for this system is if its "binding"; mine is not....
        Interesting, because that's what mine sounds like it's doing when it retracts to its home base...I think the heat (outside temp) makes it worse. It's under Prem Care Ext Warranty, so knowing now the assemblies are available, I'll just wait until it goes pinchers up.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

Interesting, because that's what mine sounds like it's doing when it retracts to its home base...I think the heat (outside temp) makes it worse. It's under Prem Care Ext Warranty, so knowing now the assemblies are available, I'll just wait until it goes pinchers up.
          That's my plan....I will clean up the position sensor though since I have the dash opened up and the instrument cluster out...

Other than that if the column doesn't grind to a halt or snap and groan like crazy while moving I won't mess with it...

Comment

I have had this problem over the years. But it comes and goes. I just live with it.
            They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
            IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
            Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dreano View Post
              That's my plan....I will clean up the position sensor though since I have the dash opened up and the instrument cluster out...

Other than that if the column doesn't grind to a halt or snap and groan like crazy while moving I won't mess with it...
              Mine is in your "groan like crazy" stage...I'm going to wait and see if it quiets down when the temps drop - our garage does get hot at night, and I'm not sure that's helping the matter.

Comment

It my be a dirty position sensor, or one of the tabs for the position sensor
                has come loose. Steering column will make straining noises when tilt or
                telescoping mechanism tries to go beyod its normal limits.

You do have to disassemble complete tilt column to get to position sensor.
                If you do this lube all parts while in there.

Comment

Originally posted by edward301 View Post
                  It my be a dirty position sensor, or one of the tabs for the position sensor
                  has come loose. Steering column will make straining noises when tilt or
                  telescoping mechanism tries to go beyod its normal limits.

You do have to disassemble complete tilt column to get to position sensor.
                  If you do this lube all parts while in there.
                  I'll prob just clean up the electrical connectors and position switch with DeOxIT then...I have no desire to dig into the steering column as long as its moving... And I wouldn't say replacements are plentiful, I've only found them a few places; the cheapest being $1,038 (the dealer wants $1,278 - I guess that their 20% markup)..

Comment

Mine makes a humming noise sometimes when moving in and out. I took off the covers and inspected and lubed everything I could get at but didn't improve it much. Finally gave up and am not going to worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X