Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird Headlamp Alignment

Hello friends,
    I just installed some new headlights in the thunderbird since the old ones were all yellow.
    That was easy, fitted really well.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure they are perfectly aligned and I can't really see a way to adjust them.
    Any ideas or known things to consider when installing the new lights? It looks like they are sealed beam type. Got them on PartsGeek.com
    cheers
    Smed.

Just for fun. Here's an autumnal photoshop of my old bird with her new headlights.

Smed you can drive your car into a garage or any wall when it is dark to see if both lights are the same height

Comment

Ok, did a bit of research, look like they adjust up and down with this little monster.

Comment

Do you have a 5.5mm socket?

Comment

Last edited by RustyFrye; Jul 29, 2020, 03:45 PM.
          Bird is the word.....
          Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyFrye View Post

Probably a good idea to stop before you drive into any wall......
            Yes, that didn’t end well for the Porsche in Toms River.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
              Smed you can drive your car into a garage or any wall when it is dark to see if both lights are the same height
              Greg,
              Let me know if I am wrong. I believe the passenger side can be aimed a bit higher.
              Might help to see the deer crossing a bit sooner.
              2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
              2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
              2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
              26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

I doubt that aiming the light higher would really matter. Going slower would give you a better shot to stop in time.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                  I doubt that aiming the light higher would really matter. Going slower would give you a better shot to stop in time.
                  OK let me put it another way.

All the cars I owned had the passenger side headlight go farther than the drivers side. The way to get the headlight to go farther is to raise the headlight to the legal amount for the passenger side.
                  In England and Japan the alignment is opposite.
                  Last edited by HKS; Nov 12, 2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I adjusted mine by pulling up to about 5-6 ft. from the garage door at twilight and adjusted, one was high. I was getting all kinds of people flashing their high beams at me before.
                    PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                    Built April 22, 2002
                    Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Which was high? If drivers side then it may be ok in England and not in USA.
                      Slightly high on passenger side is good and normal.
                      Anyway, my lights go farther on the right side and I assume it was due to the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

OK let me put it another way.

All the cars I owned had the passenger side headlight go farther than the drivers side. The way to get the headlight to go farther is to raise the headlight to the legal amount for the passenger side.
                        In England and Japan the alignment is opposite.
                        In other words adjust on the "ditch side" of the car.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yep

Any way, this is the way the older (2002 Thunderbird) headlights were set.
                          The newer HID Xenon, high intensity (lens focused) lights may be set to match the drivers side.

HKS
                          Last edited by HKS; Nov 13, 2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

changed mine and had to go back later and change the parking lights, which I did it when I changed the headlights

Comment

Working...
                            X