Push Button Start install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank Dreano View Post
    I looked at some instructions for installing such a system and its not trivial. I think you're adding complexity for a minor benefit.

Personally I wouldn't do it, the electronics in these cars is already dodgy and adding much aftermarket stuff is going to make troubleshooting and maintenance more complex.

I did add an aftermarket radio to my 2002 TBird and it was enough of a bear, Installing a backup camera, GPS and making the steering wheel controls work.

I've also dealt with a bad Front Electronics Module and Bubba-ed instrument cluster and I'm now chasing a weird problem with the climate control not regulating temperature...

My advice is to keep thins simple and stock where possible...but its your car...
    Agree with all the reasons mentioned by Frank to keep it stock.
    HKS
    2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
    2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
    2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
    26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post

Just checked the owners manual of both the 02 and 05. Both have the same instructions for coding the "coded" keys which must match the computer code for the specific car in order to start it and there is a "program" sequence to follow to make a third key match the original two keys. There are other, separate instructions for coding the fobs. Both sets of instructions are in the same section of the owner's manual: Locks and Security. The keys may not be "chipped" but they do have an electronic device that records a code in the key and it takes two matching coded keys to make the third one useable to start the car, unless one visits a Ford dealer or a locksmith that have the equipment to make a duplicate with a key that will accept the code. When you go that route, you need to have car and any other keys that are working to make sure that all have the same code.

I did a search here and there have been a couple of people that have bought their cars second hand that had a remote start installed and there was little info given to them about how it worked. There is a thread, still on this website, about an issue with remote starter:

http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...5-remote-start

When these cars were new, it was not offered except as after-market or accessory. I don't know of anyone here that had installed remote start and posted about the procedure. Probably best left to a professional along with the instructions that came with the unit since it requires messing with the wiring for security and locks.
      5bird7,
      Oh CR_P!!!!! I stand corrected and apologise for my stupidity!!!!! I called Ford and spoke with a Teck. He said the keys are indeed a "Transponder Key" (315MHz 4D63 80 BIT Chip for Ford). The only difference between the older T-Birds and the newer cars of today is actually having to plug device into the OBD2 port inorder to program the Transponder built into the Keys to the car. I did not ask about the "BIG WHAT-IF" - What if I lost all of my keys what is needed, I did that with a Honda years ago and had to get keys made at the dealership. all they needed was my registration for the VIN and my ID to prove I was the owner and NO car. The car was at home 26 miles away. Ten minutes and $275 lighter I walked away with 2 new programed keys. I left the dealership and went home, to where the car was, started her up and drove away.

Well, I'll tell you this, I have bought the new type "Flip Keys" off eBay. The ones that are a Key an FOB "ALL IN ONE". The KEYS ARE NOT chipped but, it has a CHIP built into the FOB. See: (Upgraded Replacement Flip Remote Key 315MHz 4D63 80 BIT Chip for Ford CWTWB1U331): I took them to my local ACE Hardware and had the blank keys cut. I think they charged me $3 for both (I did the same for my 04 PCR at Lowe's for free). I have a Transponder Programer I and tried using it to program the key but it didn't work. I got frustrated and pulled up a YouTube video on oh how to program a 2004 Ford Thunderbird Key and FOB. It walked me thru the process. But it was for the FOB. BTW, they works GREAT! Better than carrying a separate key and FOB along with all of my other keys.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance of the subject.

tomw1618

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Re...wAAOSwjJdd9xoL

Comment

Just had to straighten you out, Tom, on that part about the keys as other "newbies" also may read this thread and I try to keep the info on these cars "straight". apology accepted and glad you went further to check on the subject. Helpful info for the members here.

Thanks for your added info on the subject of using the integrated Key/ Fobs.
        Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
          I did a search here and there have been a couple of people that have bought their cars second hand that had a remote start installed and there was little info given to them about how it worked. :
          I'm one of those that Dot referred to who bought second hand and had remote start. I didn't know it had the remote until I was just pressing the buttons and the car started.
          Do enjoy the remote start on extremely hot and extremely cold days.

Do not think I know of anyone who has installed the keyless start.

Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
          2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by wcoates View Post

I'm one of those that Dot referred to who bought second hand and had remote start. I didn't know it had the remote until I was just pressing the buttons and the car started.
            Do enjoy the remote start on extremely hot and extremely cold days.

Do not think I know of anyone who has installed the keyless start.
            I have also seen the "Passive Entry". It is a system where you either walk up too or away from your car and it automatically unlocks or locks the car. I'm guessing it's some kind of RF signal that detects the key/FOB on your person from 5 to 10 meters away. Oh, and I it will beep or honk your horn to let you know it did what it is suppose to have done. LOL! Cool gadget! But, do I want to be the first to install one in an 02-05 Bird???? There is a kit out there that has Passive Entry, Remote Start, Alarm, and Push Button Start all in one box. This is where a professional installer is necessary to have nearby. And I'm assuming, expensive. Well it's on the back burner for now.

Comment

I think that you just made a wise decision.

Comment

Originally posted by tomw1618 View Post

I have also seen the "Passive Entry". It is a system where you either walk up too or away from your car and it automatically unlocks or locks the car. I'm guessing it's some kind of RF signal that detects the key/FOB on your person from 5 to 10 meters away. Oh, and I it will beep or honk your horn to let you know it did what it is suppose to have done. LOL! Cool gadget! But, do I want to be the first to install one in an 02-05 Bird???? There is a kit out there that has Passive Entry, Remote Start, Alarm, and Push Button Start all in one box. This is where a professional installer is necessary to have nearby. And I'm assuming, expensive. Well it's on the back burner for now.

Comment

I have a 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster with the Ford dealer adds-on remote start, security alarm, and keyless entry. I would really like to have a conversation with someone who has one of these setups to discuss operating characteristics of the system. Mine seems to do things that are illogical. For example, it will remote start with the doors unlocked. Please PM me. I have a lot of questions to ask.

Comment

You need to know what system they used, I had such a system added to my 2013 Tundra, a VIPER system, and it is highly configurable and several features can be reprogrammed.

Comment

I've got the push button on our Edge. You still need a fob onboard. I'm not interested ...but somewhere I still have my 'eject' button

Comment

My Eject Button is always ready for action.
                        I will need to test it sometime to see if it still works or it may be a one-shot deal..
                        Hermann

P.S. About the 2002-5 keys. They are passive and can not be programmed. Programming a key means storing its serial number in the Dash module along with all other keys or key. I have 4 keys programmed (into the dash module).
                        Let me know if I am wrong.
                        Last edited by HKS; Feb 14, 2021, 05:45 AM.
                        2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
                        2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
                        2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
                        26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Working...
                        X