AC fan goes intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC fan goes intermittent

Had this issue come up at the end of last season - I was hoping it would go away but it's here again. When AC is turned on, fan blows normally, but then fan will shut off and then come back on intermittently. No explanation for it. I've tried adjusting temp, adjusting fan speed, but to no avail. It's like there's a gremlin in the dash playing with the fan. Sometimes when fan is at full blast, it will suddenly stop, and then start again - and sometimes fan speed will reduce and then go back to full blast and then shut off and then come back on.

I am looking for some suggested remedies before I take it to dealer. The Bird has 4 years left on 5-year extended warranty, so it must go to the dealer - and my history with Ford dealers here in Phoenix isn't the best (I have used 3 of them and found all of them wanting). Any suggestions you could provide would be helpful - many thanks.

Jim, in my eight years here I have never seen a T-Bird fix like the one done very cheaply on Volvo C70. Just throwing it out as my Bird and Volvo were both part of Ford Motors at about the same time. A very detailed thread shows the cheap fix. Good luck.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-fix-...-in-a-volvo-p1
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

Originally posted by wcoates View Post
      Jim, in my eight years here I have never seen a T-Bird fix like the one done very cheaply on Volvo C70. Just throwing it out as my Bird and Volvo were both part of Ford Motors at about the same time. A very detailed thread shows the cheap fix. Good luck.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-fix-...-in-a-volvo-p1
      Great visual instructions. I never knew clutch adjustment would be a fix.
      I would always buy the clutch with the compressor as needed. My AC compressors always leak oil before they fail.
      HKS
      2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
      2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
      2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
      26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

I think Jim is saying here that the interior fan is running intermittent. Not that the ac is intermittent.
        The fan operates under control by the climate control sensors in the dash, the little grill area by the ignition. This sensor is like the thermostat in your home, sensing the cabin temp send that info to the climate control which then signals the fan to operate & at what speed as well as cycle the AC compressor on & off.
        In Jim's case I think he either has a faulty interior temp sensor, a loose connection or worse case the climate control unit has something faulty in it.
        Here on TBN using the search box I believe you can locate the self diagnostic test to perform on the climate control which will end by showing any fault codes to help determine what may be wrong.
        Mike

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your insight. I think my issue is closer to Mike's assessment. The AC works fine, but the blower motor (fan) goes in and out. I'll try and do some more searching on the site, but so far I haven't been able to find something that addresses this issue directly. I want to go to the dealer with some knowledge/background on the causes, as they have a tendency to "jiggle" something, say there is nothing wrong, and then I pick it up and have to take it back...and back...and back.
          Thanks again.

Comment

I'm not mechanically inclined and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do have a question or two.

Are you running the AC in the automatic mode when this happens? I'm assuming you probably are from thesound of things. Have you tried using the AC in the maual mode? If so, does the fan go off in that situation as well? If not, I would think it seems to be pointing to a sensor issue of some kind. If it does, then I think it might point to a problem like the fan motor getting to hot and shutting off to protect itself.

Not sure any of this makes sense, but if elected officials can spit out bad ideas off the cuff, I guess I can as well.
            21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Waiting to hear from Jim regarding use of manual mode.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                I'm not mechanically inclined and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do have a question or two.

Are you running the AC in the automatic mode when this happens? I'm assuming you probably are from thesound of things. Have you tried using the AC in the maual mode? If so, does the fan go off in that situation as well? If not, I would think it seems to be pointing to a sensor issue of some kind. If it does, then I think it might point to a problem like the fan motor getting to hot and shutting off to protect itself.

Not sure any of this makes sense, but if elected officials can spit out bad ideas off the cuff, I guess I can as well.
                Great question, Paul. The blower malfunctions in both automatic and manual mode. If I turn it on in automatic or manual, the reaction is the same.
                The fan will run, shut off for a few seconds, come back on, then reduce speed then go back to full speed. It's all very random...the challenge is I can't predict when it's going to do it or why...nor can I predict what the fan is going to do in any given mode.

I just came from a class I teach every Monday...it's a 10 minute drive. Fan malfunctioned going there (10 a.m.), but coming home (11:30 a.m.), it didn't malfunction at all...all very random.

Comment

The dealer will just say “Couldn’t replicate problem” on the work order. Hope you can get it figured out. At least you live in a cool area.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                    The dealer will just say “Couldn’t replicate problem” on the work order. Hope you can get it figured out. At least you live in a cool area.
                    You're right, Gene...they've done that before. My goal is to get them to take a drive with me and then PRAY that it acts up while they're in the car.
                    PS...supposed to be 107 on Thursday...got my winter sweaters out....brrrrrrr.

Comment

It has also been suggested to me by another party that it could be the climate control sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post
                        It has also been suggested to me by another party that it could be the climate control sensor.
                        That is logical since the fan fluctuates from low speed to normal speed. I wonder where the sensor is located. Could be just a corroded connection or plugged up sensor.

More thinking:
                        If the sensor is for cabin temp (in cabin or dash) and if suspect:
                        When you operate the heater in manual mode and AC OFF, does the fan also act up intermittently?
                        HKS
                        Last edited by HKS; May 5, 2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
                          More thinking: If the sensor is for cabin temp (in cabin or dash) and if suspect: When you operate the heater in manual mode and AC OFF, does the fan also act up intermittently? HKS
                          I use the heater very seldom so I haven't really noticed...and if I did use the heater, the fan volume would be so low that I probably wouldn't notice any fluctuation in the fan speed. But it's a great question. When this gets addressed by the dealer, I will post the findings. Thanks.

Comment

I wrote earlier in a few posts back the cabin temp sensor is behind the little grill in dash by the ignition, where the key goes in to start the car.
                            Mike

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
                              I wrote earlier in a few posts back the cabin temp sensor is behind the little grill in dash by the ignition, where the key goes in to start the car.
                              didn't realize cabin control sensor and climate control sensor were one and the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X