Excessive engine noise in cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive engine noise in cab

I need help. We had a major engine malfunction with a blown head gasket. So we decided to swap out the engine. Found a used engine and my hubby changed it out. (He did use after market motor mounts). However...the engine noise in the cab is LOUD. He has checked out the full exhaust system and researched anything hat could be causing the noise. We are at a loss as to what the cause is. It drives fine and doesn’t throw any codes. Any suggestions as to what we can check now?

Could you be more descriptive about your car, please. What year, there are some differences between the 2002 and the other build years.

Does the sound get louder with speed.
    Mike

sigpic

Comment

The engine went from an ‘03 to an ‘04. The sound does get louder at higher acceleration. Seems to quiet down slightly on another patches of road.

Comment

You can try the Click and Clack solution to any such problem ---- turn up the radio volume.

Comment

Hard to say without more info'. The type of sound can mean a lot in where to look. Even removing and re-installing the original engine can lead to problems such as this. For instance if the sound is more like a vibration likely there is a misalignment or uneven torque somewhere. If it's the sound of engine running especially when sitting still then could be an acoustic issue. I once had a Ford with a harmonic sound at highway speed and the dealer never could find it. Years later when I bought new tires the sound when away, but everyone thought it was in the drive line. In your case I would start with motor mounts , especially being after market.

Comment

Originally posted by Rondor View Post
            Hard to say without more info'. The type of sound can mean a lot in where to look. Even removing and re-installing the original engine can lead to problems such as this. For instance if the sound is more like a vibration likely there is a misalignment or uneven torque somewhere. If it's the sound of engine running especially when sitting still then could be an acoustic issue. I once had a Ford with a harmonic sound at highway speed and the dealer never could find it. Years later when I bought new tires the sound when away, but everyone thought it was in the drive line. In your case I would start with motor mounts , especially being after market.
            I thought TIRES when she said it quiets down on certain patches of road. I have Michelin Premiere tires on my Bird and they "sing" on concrete and are quiet as a mouse on asphalt. But of course it would have been like that with the previous engine also....
            Quickdraw
            Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Question. since you say changes in road surface make a difference.. Tires. How old are the tires?

Engines are pretty quiet in these cars. Is the noise there when it's sitting still and someone revving the engine with hood up?
              Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Working...
              X