Instrument Panel Gauges Going Crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Panel Gauges Going Crazy!

Has anybody had their gauges (tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge, temp gauge, trip mileage gauge) go wild moving left to right and lights going off in the instrument panel? This happens very quickly and then they come back on. Power steering also affected during this “cycle”. Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

Check the car's battery.

Comment

Right, the battery....
      Quickdraw
      Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Clean your glasses......... Seriously thou sounds like typical battery

Comment

Had that happen in another car when the alternator failed. My first guess would also be the battery.

Comment

Charge or replace battery as needed and then check the ODBC codes with a scanner.
            Some of those symptoms are related to the FEM (Front Electronics Module)...

Comment

Had the battery (new in November 2020) tested and it checks out fine. Anybody have any other thoughts? Will keep the alternator and FEM in mind. Isn’t the FEM the part that is no longer available and you have to find a rebuilt one?

Comment

If it turns out to be the FEM, contact Village Ford in Dearborn, MI. It’s my understanding that they have recently sold new FEMs. Perhaps Ford had a run made or they have access to a stash. Good luck!

Comment

About two weeks ago I had a similar problem with the gauges and radio display. The engine stopped and would not restart . The problem was the alternator

Comment

My 02 did that and the battery overcharging. Was the alternator. 100% fine now.

Comment

THANKS TO ALL of you people who have given me several choices to explore. Sounds like the alternator could very well be my problem. It is happening once or twice every time I drive it. Unfortunately, I just had it into the Lincoln dealer last week to replace both front tie rods to get rid of a creaking sound every time I went over a dip in the pavement. Sound gone now but then this! Thx again. Will let you all know what happens. Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X