Problem with Anti-Theft System and Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Anti-Theft System and Battery

A few days ago, I tried to start my 2004 TBird, after about a week of in-activity. Not only would it not start, but the Anti-Theft system activated (dash lights flashing and horn honking) when the key was turned.

I immediately suspected the battery, as it was 7 years old. So, I charged the battery up with an external charger. The car then started with no problems from the Anti- Theft.

I took the car to my Ford dealer and asked them to test, and if necessary, replace the battery. They replaced the battery with a Ford OEM unit.

HOWEVER, once they tried to start the car again, the Anti-Theft system alarmed and the car would not start. They said they reset the system (using 2 keys) and then the car would start, but the Anti-Theft still alarmed.

So, this is where things stand. They can't de-activate the Anti-Theft system!

Any suggestions?

Could the "new" battery be sub-standard? They say they checked it, but maybe it was on the shelf for a long time. I will ask them for the date code.

Could the Anti-Theft system have been "zapped" by a glitch when the battery was replaced? This system seems quite complex. According to the Service Manual, it has components in the Key-Dash area, the PCM module, the FEM module, and a module behind the seats! It looks very difficult to troubleshoot.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best regards to all,

Doug (Linear)

I am having the same problem on my 2003. It has been at the dealer all week with no resolution yet. I sure hope that someone here has the answer. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Doug, the exact same thing happened to me this week, 2004 Merlot, dead battery, alarms went off. Called AAA, guy arrived, replaced the battery, like yours, seven years old, and everything is fine. I put a trickle charger on the new battery overnight and then drove the car two times this week and everything is fine. I have no love for my Ford dealer and have not taken the car to it for years because it has proven itself to make matters worse. My guess is that it is either the battery or the dealer but I would bet on the dealer messing with the module somehow.

Comment

Try doing what Ned did. Charge it overnight. They may have installed a weak battery. You have nothing to lose.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. My car is still at the Ford Dealer, so I won't know more until Monday.

Doug (Linear)

Comment

I had the same thing happened to me over the years but replacing the battery each time solved the problem.
            ( WE ARE NOT ALONE )

Visit the TBN Store at:

Comment

I got my car back today with the problems fixed.

The dealer cleaned the contacts on the key/dash module, the PCM module, the FEM module, and a module behind the seats. That seems to have fixed the Anti-Theft System issues.

Jim, did your dealer in Florida fix your problems?

Doug (Linear)

Comment

Great news, Doug, I'm glad it was finally resolved!
                Life without passion is no life at all.
                Sean Combs

Comment

Doug, The issue with mine appears to be a short in the steering column. I could make the symptoms come and go by moving the steering wheel in and out or up and down. Looking like the clock spring assembly...Back at the dealer .

Comment

Working...
                  X