Researching the 1957 F Bird, Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching the 1957 F Bird, Need Help

I am doing a little research on the `57-F Bird. For those of you that may not know Ford built about 200 57 Birds with a supercharger. These Thunderbirds were had the letter 'F' as the prefix in their vin number hence the name F-Bird.

In many photos I've seen on auction sites some of these supercharged Thunderbirds have a script type emblem on the front fenders just forward of the faux air vents. The script is the word 'Super charged'. I can NOT find any reference material that supports whether these emblems were factory installed or are they after market stick on emblems.

A would appreciate some help here if anyone can provide me with some accurate information about these emblems.

1957-Ford-Thunderbird-F-Bird - Copy.jpg
    Attached Files
    Mike

sigpic

I have seen them plain or with the Thunderbird script. If your research hasn't included sending an e mail to amos@amosminter.com I would do that. At Mecum Indy two years ago he had seven F codes there at the same time. Good luck.

Comment

Ric, thanks for the lead.
      no I had not looked there but going to immediately.
      Mike

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I can tell you where they got those "supercharged" emblems. The 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk came with that script on them, so there were parts like that available from other manufacturers or from scrap yards (junk yards) through the 50s and 60s and into the 70s. Ford never had that for the 57 supercharged cars. They were "sleepers" on the road. You'd never know what you were up against at a back road meeting.

Also, in your state, Mike, is another restorer of Thunderbirds who has a 57 Thunderbird supercharged plus a 57 factory supercharged station wagon, a 57 factory supercharged retractable hardtop. I think he also might have a 57 Ranchero, factory supercharged. I'm not sure but he might even have a 57 Ford tudor (base model) that came factory supercharged. Those other models are even rarer than the supercharged Thunderbirds.
        Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Really interesting stuff, Dot. I looked one up and found an interesting story:
          https://kennagelclassiccars.com/1957...ractable-roof/
          Life without passion is no life at all.
          Sean Combs

Comment

Originally posted by merlot4 View Post
            Really interesting stuff, Dot. I looked one up and found an interesting story:
            https://kennagelclassiccars.com/1957...ractable-roof/
            Great article, Richard, Thanks for posting it.

We had a body shell and frame (from a junk yard) and it's matching vin plate for a retractable F-code at one time. rust bucket. Never got around to trying to restore it other than buying another retractable to use the body on the original F-car frame. We sold them when we moved to TX. That person never tried restoring them either. He passed away a few years ago and I don't know where it went from there.
            Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Thanks to everyone, especially Ric(11TH Gen), Dot(5bird7) and Richard(merlot4) for great information. Very helpful & much appreciated.
              Mike

sigpic

Comment

Are you looking to buy?

Comment

Are you looking to buy?
                  No. I was just curious about seeing auction photos of the 57 F Code Thunderbirds. In some photos some of the Thunderbirds have a script emblem on the front fenders that say "Supercharged". Some of the cars do and some of the cars do not. Wondered why and if this emblem was factory installed or the whim of a previous owner.

And thanks to everyone the emblem appears to be at the whim of the owner, NOT a Ford installed emblem.
                  Mike

sigpic

Comment

Dot,
                    check your PMs
                    thanks
                    Mike

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X